Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2021, 19:02   #226
Ita

Boat: CAL 36
Re: Best Sailing channels on Youtube

My favorite: Adventures of an old sea dog.
A gentleman in his sixties sailing singlehanded, no bikinis or sexual innuendos. Lots of sailing and boat maintenance.

https://youtu.be/LpB5hwfAw-M
Old 13-03-2021, 03:51   #227

Boat: Boatless but working on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
He had just replaced all the seacocks with new trudesign nylon seacocks, so when he was frantically searching all of the boat's seacocks (over a dozen I think) and then saw a nylon tube gushing water, he didn't immediately realize it wasn't one of the new seacocks and was instead the transducer thru-hull. So the first video right after they got control of the leak and were pumping the boat out, he thought it was one of the new seacocks he just put in and was understandably upset and that was what the viewers knew until his next update after they got back to port and could see that it was actually the transducer thru-hull.
I have not seen the videos but was just saying that that is one of the places where I would look first. Something similar happened to me sailing alone on a delivery in the Med around 1990. It turned out not to be a transducer but that did come to mind.
Alistair242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 09:54   #228

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2ocean View Post
It’s possible now because of Patreon. Delos has 2000+ patreons for a greedy $5-$250 each video doing 4 videos a month. Making an assumption of an average of $10 that’s ....
Greedy? You do realize they aren't charging anything...that's its all voluntary. If you want to be disparaging, be disparaging about the people who choose to give their hard-earned money to [begin sarcasm]obvious snake oil salesmen [/end sarcasm]. Or don't. That would be good too.

I just don't get why people get so bent out of shape about it. They are travel videos, not yachting guides. I don't watch the Kardashians but millions do. I do watch select sailing related videos but millions don't. And its no one's business if I spend any money or not, but I would be sad if a few of my favourites disappeared.

Speaking of: another plug for Sailing Chuffed. Not the best produced content but that girl's heart is in the right place with her veterinary work.
Old 13-03-2021, 10:01   #229

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Speaking of: another plug for Sailing Chuffed. Not the best produced content but that girl's heart is in the right place with her veterinary work.
I agree, until I became a Patreon for Steve's anchor testing, she was the only channel I was a Patreon of. Everyone out there is doing youtube to support the life they want, and so is she, but she's also helping dogs (and other animals)... so I'm a fan.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 17:23   #230

Boat: Other peoples

Patreon is about as real as it gets.
Unlike TV a person is not forced to watch adds. Unlike Cable you dont have to pay for programs you dont want to watch.
Its a voluntary donation to a channel you want to see more of.

I watch a few you tube channels and don't Patreon any of them. But I appreciate those who do as i like the Channels i watch.

Some great real channels like Free Range Sailing dont push their Patreon account much at all which is refreshing as the push from shows like La Vagabond does get monotonous.

Link to Free Range Sailing:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbU...rJ4OZCNH7-gjjQ
Lucky Luke 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 18:09   #231

Staining uma, expedition evans and sailing into freedom.

They guy in sailing into freedom has all kinds of stuff happen to him, including lightning striking his boat and blowing a hole in the hull.
Old 15-03-2021, 05:39   #232

Boat: Tayana 47

Zingaro has a new vid on utube and he’s calmed down quite a bit from his last vid when he was taking on water. [emoji106]

Problem was with speed transducer though at this point it’s unclear whether it somehow physically failed or if it was operator error by whoever replaced the plug with the transducer and secured(?) it. Also, not sure what brand transducer it was or whether it had a flapper valve in it? Hopefully all these questions answered in next video.

I was pretty unimpressed by his initial reaction and response but am impressed by his willingness to honestly evaluate himself once things calmed down. He’s turned it into a good learning situation for himself as well as many others. Myself, as a result of this I’m adding an audible high water alarm in addition to the lights in the cockpit I currently have.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 14:29   #233

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Myself, as a result of this I’m adding an audible high water alarm in addition to the lights in the cockpit I currently have.
I've seen a few comments about adding this. Of course it's a good idea but I'm surprised that there seems to be so many boats around where this isn't standard?

I'm kind of used to an audible alarm for high bilge level being normal.

Normally it's two stage - an indicator light for whenever the bilge pump runs (so you can see normal operation), and then an audible alarm for 'high level'. And at this point the pump should be running continously.

Two pumps can be a good idea too depending on the boat's bilge setup. A small one for any normal water that may accumulate, and a big one for a proper leak (either internal or external).

An audible alarm even works at anchor. What if you are asleep and a leak develops during the night? You won't see a warning light.

More modern boats can even send an sms to your phone, for when you are ashore, or just away from the boat in general.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing