Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2021, 14:58   #211

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Re: Best Sailing channels on Youtube

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2ocean View Post
I was sad to hear that as I like James and they were FINAlLY going to be making interesting videos again. He did seem to be prepared though his bilge pump was a little undersized.

Some sailing body really needs to come up with a safety checklist that includes a backup bilge pump on power not separate from the bilge and far above where the water would be.
I don't want to derail this thread too far, but yeah, there are definitely a number of ways to help prepare for such a terrible occasion. His misfortune has had me thinking all day about how to prepare my boat for disaster. I think audible alarms are critical.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 15:00   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
in his latest update he said that it broke off flush with the hull so that makes me think the plastic outer ring that goes through the hull and you put the transducer down into broke off. I don't think I'd have thought of it before this incident either but in retrospect not too surprising since he mentioned many times how hot the boat had gotten while it sat for 3 or 4 years, hauled out in tropical heat and everything else plastic had to be replaced because it had partially melted. Coincidentally, I just replaced my speed transducer and since it fit into the old thru hull fitting, was going to reuse that because it seemed to be in good shape, but the electronics tech at Hinckleys who was installing my new electronics told me that I should go ahead and replace that thru hull that came with the transducer because "they sometimes get brittle after awhile." I'll see him tomorrow and will be sure to thank him for his good advice.
Wow, that's great to know.
Old 09-03-2021, 17:48   #213

Boat: Island Packet 29

Almost none. Most just beg for money and that is breeding more channels of "sailors" begging for money. Its an epidemic.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 04:01   #214

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
Almost none. Most just beg for money and that is breeding more channels of "sailors" begging for money. Its an epidemic.

Through the comments on this thread I’ve become aware of way more of these utube sailing couples than I ever dreamt were out there. I’ve probably watched a total of about 20 episodes from various utube sailors spread over the past 2 or 3 years, mostly MJsailing, Delos, or most recently Zingaro. A few had some useful information and a few were entertaining but not enough to make me want to make the time commitment to watch them regularly or “follow” them. But I can’t help but notice both the ever growing number of these utube channels as well as the number of followers they have, more than I’d have imagined possible. So, it seems to me that the biggest part of their audience must be non sailors. They must be filling some sort of need and good for them to have found a way to subsidize a non conventional lifestyle. But I’ve got to think that just like popular tv shows come and go as they run out of story lines and the audiences tastes change, so will most of these utube sailors. Even if that’s true, it seems like a pretty nice way to spend a few years of a young (mostly) couples life.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 04:40   #215

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post

And there it is. Always someone. It’s a free market and apparently millions disagree with you and are watching and some are funding this. No different than paying for movies, cable service, etc. I wouldn’t want to ruin the fun of cruising with filming and editing but for them the work is worth it.

And it seems like YouTube is getting young people back into sailing and cruising which is a great trend reversal and good for industry. I look forward to seeing a younger trend and so do my kids who cruise with us (part time seasonal for now)
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:48   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post

And it seems like YouTube is getting young people back into sailing and cruising which is a great trend reversal and good for industry. I look forward to seeing a younger trend and so do my kids who cruise with us (part time seasonal for now)

It’s just a different format for young sailing couples to gain some publicity and fund their lifestyle. Previous generation sailors who wanted to do this became writers, either magazine articles or books. The Pardeys, Goodlanders, Simons, etc. all took that path but were paid a small pittance per article compared with what some of today’s UTubers are making, and since there were only a few magazines paying for sailing articles, there were limited numbers who could make it this way. The Pardeys made some VHS tapes but that got them less exposure than something on the Internet anyone can click on with no time delay or paying for shipping.

Young(ish) folks who grew up with the Internet have found a way to fund their cruising lifestyle which has allowed many of them who otherwise couldn’t have afforded it to go cruising and they in turn are exposing the cruising lifestyle to lots of young people who might decide that owning a boat and cruising is something they’d like to try. I wouldn’t call it an epidemic but they are definitely spreading the word to a different audience from traditional Cruising World type subscribers, and to a much larger audience. Nobody is forcing us old curmudgeons to watch these videos and since they will undoubtedly bring more people into sailing and cruising, I think it’s all good. I look forward to seeing more of these young people at the Marina and out on the water.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:00   #217

It seems that most of the criticism of sailing youtubers in general is built on a foundation of resentment and bitterness that these people have found an alternate way of funding their adventures, often times at much younger ages than the historical norm, also with the conceit that it is mooching and not any work.

One thing that is clear to the rational viewer, is that it is work, quite a bit of work. And another is that all aspects of viewership and funding are entirely voluntary.

Another point that I don't think anyone brings up, is that in the greater world of youtube, even the worst, sleaziest sailing channel is really not that bad.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:12   #218
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeaunneau

Sea Wolves of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by watersofdiego View Post
I was just wondering...what are favorite channels on Youtube that deal with sailing?

Here's a few that I like...

drakeParagon
drakeParagon - YouTube

Cruising Lealea
Cruising Lealea - YouTube

Tom Peranteau
Tom Peranteau - YouTube

Seth Hynes
Seth Hynes - YouTube

TheSailingChannel.TV
TheSailingChannel.TV - YouTube
Seawolfflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:34   #219

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
It seems that most of the criticism of sailing youtubers in general is built on a foundation of resentment and bitterness that these people have found an alternate way of funding their adventures, often times at much younger ages than the historical norm, also with the conceit that it is mooching and not any work.

One thing that is clear to the rational viewer, is that it is work, quite a bit of work. And another is that all aspects of viewership and funding are entirely voluntary.

Another point that I don't think anyone brings up, is that in the greater world of youtube, even the worst, sleaziest sailing channel is really not that bad.

Well said on all counts. Worlds better than TV reality shows in every way for those of us not out there cruising full time yet
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 21:44   #220

Boat: Other peoples

I've just discovered Free Range sailing.
Recommend.
Lucky Luke 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 00:51   #221

Boat: 44ft mono hull

If you're having one of those ffs moments when something else breaks checkout Sailing Yaba.

O M G.
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 15:23   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
If you're having one of those ffs moments when something else breaks checkout Sailing Yaba.

O M G.

O M G seems just about right! They seem like such a nice couple that you can’t help but feel sorry for what they’ve got themselves into. I get that labor is cheap in Brazil so they can get the hull rebuilt but even if they find someone to finish the interior nicely and wire it and plumb it and rig it, they’ll still have a very cumbersome 70’ boat to sail and maintain and anchor or pay for dock space. The forces involved in sailing a heavy wooden boat that large are just too much for a couple so I imagine that in all but very mild weather they’ll be a motorboat. Maybe they can take on paying pax/crew for coastal cruising? Interesting video seeing all the work they’re doing but they might as well be building a whole new boat. Wishing them luck but afraid they’re really going to need it!
Old 12-03-2021, 15:51   #223

Boat: Boatless but working on it

Quote:
He just did another update that says it wasn’t a broken thru hull after all and instead was the speed transducer. Not sure if it broke or somebody didn’t screw it in tightly enough. Note to self, never let anyone else do that little chore on my boat because it’s too easy for an inexperienced person to put it in a bit crooked and not notice that the threads didn’t catch when they think they’re screwing it down into place.
Isn’t that one of the first places you would look if taking water? I dunno, sounds a little fishy.....
That previous cat was an accident waiting to happen. There is no way they should have departed Central America with it in that condition. It’s amazing that they made it across the Pacific.
Not sure what to make of this one?
Alistair242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 16:17   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair242 View Post
Isn’t that one of the first places you would look if taking water? I dunno, sounds a little fishy.....
That previous cat was an accident waiting to happen. There is no way they should have departed Central America with it in that condition. It’s amazing that they made it across the Pacific.
Not sure what to make of this one?
He had just replaced all the seacocks with new trudesign nylon seacocks, so when he was frantically searching all of the boat's seacocks (over a dozen I think) and then saw a nylon tube gushing water, he didn't immediately realize it wasn't one of the new seacocks and was instead the transducer thru-hull. So the first video right after they got control of the leak and were pumping the boat out, he thought it was one of the new seacocks he just put in and was understandably upset and that was what the viewers knew until his next update after they got back to port and could see that it was actually the transducer thru-hull.
Old 12-03-2021, 17:33   #225

Quote:
Through the comments on this thread I’ve become aware of way more of these utube sailing couples than I ever dreamt were out there. I’ve probably watched a total of about 20 episodes from various utube sailors spread over the past 2 or 3 years, mostly MJsailing, Delos, or most recently Zingaro. A few had some useful information and a few were entertaining but not enough to make me want to make the time commitment to watch them regularly or “follow” them. But I can’t help but notice both the ever growing number of these utube channels as well as the number of followers they have, more than I’d have imagined possible. So, it seems to me that the biggest part of their audience must be non sailors. They must be filling some sort of need and good for them to have found a way to subsidize a non conventional lifestyle. But I’ve got to think that just like popular tv shows come and go as they run out of story lines and the audiences tastes change, so will most of these utube sailors. Even if that’s true, it seems like a pretty nice way to spend a few years of a young (mostly) couples life.
It’s possible now because of Patreon. Delos has 2000+ patreons for a greedy $5-$250 each video doing 4 videos a month. Making an assumption of an average of $10 that’s ...

2000*$10*4=$80k per month not counting YouTube and sponsorships. Delis was great when it wasn’t boring parents doing boat repair.
sea2ocean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing