Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2019, 06:10   #181

Re: Best Sailing channels on Youtube

We like Sailing Britican, they are always looking to pass along knowledge.
jcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 09:57   #182

I've been watching A LOT of these sailing life vlogs and most are quite entertaining, yet very few feature the realities / hardships that they come across. (for the record, I am a wannabe sailor who is trying to gather as much information as I can from these channels). Most of them come across as a lifestyle / influencer / vicarious living channels.

This weekend I came across this channel called FLORB (Floating Orb productions), the channel behind the web series "Alternative Living Spaces". Looks like the dude also recently bought a boat and is doing the same sort of thing as everyone else, except he is always going through hardships, not knowing the ins and outs of sailing and constantly fixing things. This channel was a breath of fresh air, showing what can and will go wrong and some insight as to how to fix it. He's not out there making it look like he's got the perfect lifestyle. I have learned quite a bit from watching this show so far and I'm also surprised that I can't seem to find ANY mention of this channel on this forum at all.
So since I am not a Patreon of his, I thought I might at least drop a mention in here. Its the least I could do from binging the entire show over the weekend.
avi_normal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 23:20   #183

Boat: Westerly 43

Free Range Sailing and 22 South are very good for different reasons. Free Range make well crafted videos with interesting content focusing on living off the sea and land from a small yacht. 22 South has tons of creative energy. A bit unpolished but it's hard to resist their quirky personal insights and cool accents.
Budawang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 10:26   #184

Boat: 1976 Alajuela 38 MK I

White Spot Pirates
How to Sail Oceans
Patrick Childress Sailing
Tom Conliff
Project Atticus
gallatin1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2019, 16:19   #185

Boat: Scout 30

We've been watching "Salt & Tar" lately. Although their funds have limited them to some substandard materials they've built a pretty neat boat.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2019, 17:17   #186

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
We've been watching "Salt & Tar" lately. Although their funds have limited them to some substandard materials they've built a pretty neat boat.
I watch them and they are are doing a great job per specs... I just want to know what you meant by "substandard materials".
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2019, 20:39   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
I watch them and they are are doing a great job per specs... I just want to know what you meant by "substandard materials".
Using mismatched reclaimed flooring for planks may be economical but all of the knots in the wood would worry me. Adding the second layer of planking was a good idea but I cringed when they fastened it with Home Depot type painted deck screws. IMHO the fasteners on a carvel plank on frame boat are extremely important & if you really want the boat to last silicon bronze is the way to go. In fact all of the hardware should be bronze or at least monel or stainless steel but painted steel will work if they stay on top of it although I'm not sure how they'll keep the rudder gudgeons & pintles from rusting. Also, the plywood they use is clearly not marine grade & they're not scarfing the joints in the cabin or decks. Lastly, I'm unfamiliar with external concrete ballast but I don't think it's comparable to lead or even steel.

Every time they cut a corner they say it's OK because it's a work boat but it's actually not a work boat, it's a pleasure boat that they've been working on full time for I believe close to 4 years now & they still have a long ways to go. I totally get being short on money but investing this much time in a project while cutting corners on materials seems to me to be short sighted.
Old 28-07-2019, 14:00   #188

Not meaning to beat up Salt & Tar too much but comparing their work to the Tally Ho build on "The Sampson Boat Company" channel is really night & day.
Old 28-07-2019, 16:00   #189

Quote:
Using mismatched reclaimed flooring for planks may be economical but all of the knots in the wood would worry me. Adding the second layer of planking was a good idea but I cringed when they fastened it with Home Depot type painted deck screws. IMHO the fasteners on a carvel plank on frame boat are extremely important & if you really want the boat to last silicon bronze is the way to go. In fact all of the hardware should be bronze or at least monel or stainless steel but painted steel will work if they stay on top of it although I'm not sure how they'll keep the rudder gudgeons & pintles from rusting. Also, the plywood they use is clearly not marine grade & they're not scarfing the joints in the cabin or decks. Lastly, I'm unfamiliar with external concrete ballast but I don't think it's comparable to lead or even steel.

Every time they cut a corner they say it's OK because it's a work boat but it's actually not a work boat, it's a pleasure boat that they've been working on full time for I believe close to 4 years now & they still have a long ways to go. I totally get being short on money but investing this much time in a project while cutting corners on materials seems to me to be short sighted.
Understood, but this is not substandard and they are not cutting corners. Their choice of wood is good and they know what they are doing. Don't forget wooden boats have been sailing for some time without teak, stainless and bronze. Not sure if you are familiar with George Bueller and his designs but here is a quote from his site:

"... The hull can be planked wood or plywood, and the entire thing can be built from material available at a good lumberyard. Even the ballast is simple, being a mix of concrete and scrap metal. It's nowhere near as dense (heavy) as cast lead or iron but it's cheap and easy to do."

Just saying...
Old 28-07-2019, 21:03   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Understood, but this is not substandard and they are not cutting corners. Their choice of wood is good and they know what they are doing. Don't forget wooden boats have been sailing for some time without teak, stainless and bronze. Not sure if you are familiar with George Bueller and his designs but here is a quote from his site:

"... The hull can be planked wood or plywood, and the entire thing can be built from material available at a good lumberyard. Even the ballast is simple, being a mix of concrete and scrap metal. It's nowhere near as dense (heavy) as cast lead or iron but it's cheap and easy to do."

Just saying...
I'm actually a fan of Bueller's & was sad to hear of his passing. However, there's a big difference between buying clear wood at a "good lumberyard" & repurposed flooring from Craig'sList and I seriously doubt Bueller would ever recommend painted deck screws to fasten the planking. I've use them on my dock & would never do it again. And that's above the waterline. And has anyone ever seen a hull double planked just to the waterline? Strange.

I do like the way Bueller designed a boat that's simple to build where all of the planks and frames are straight but still ends up with a kind of traditional appeal. He will be missed.
Old 29-07-2019, 09:42   #191

Quote:
I'm actually a fan of Bueller's & was sad to hear of his passing. However, there's a big difference between buying clear wood at a "good lumberyard" & repurposed flooring from Craig'sList and I seriously doubt Bueller would ever recommend painted deck screws to fasten the planking. I've use them on my dock & would never do it again. And that's above the waterline. And has anyone ever seen a hull double planked just to the waterline? Strange.

I do like the way Bueller designed a boat that's simple to build where all of the planks and frames are straight but still ends up with a kind of traditional appeal. He will be missed.
He sure will.
Old 29-07-2019, 17:38   #192

I have been watching distant shores lately, Some interesting travels in there Sotherly.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:30   #193

Boat: Westerly 43

Sailing Yacht Florence make excellent sailing videos. They give a great sense of the places they visit.
Budawang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:13   #194

Boat: Mahe 36

A couple that I quite like, perhaps because they are around the same areas are Great Circle because of the drone work and Wheresboomerang because of the humour from some relatively new sailors
cuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 14:10   #195
cruiser

Until recently, I didn't really like YouTube. I usually watched movies and various "sailing videos" on Netflix, Amazon and other premium and free streaming sites. Once I read youtube tv reviews. I realized that this is one of the best streaming sites, so for about a half year I use only YouTube and I'm very happy
jjuliajul11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing