Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2022, 06:56   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO 410
Best route Boston to Camden, Maine sailing daytime only

My wife and I are recently retired and planning to take our boat up to the Cape and then on to Maine this summer. We are good sailors but unfortunately we aren't youngsters anymore. Therefore we like to take it easy and avoid overnight sails if possible. We have a 42 ft sailboat with a 6 ft draft.
We will be on the Cape until mid-July and then we will take the boat to Boston and leave her there as we will have to fly home for a couple of weeks at that time. We will return at the end of July and would like to head up the coast of Maine at that point with our final destination being Penobscot Bay where we hope to spend a few weeks sailing around before starting the long trek back to the Chesapeake Bay, where we live.
Any suggestions on preferable places to stop on the way up the coast as we head for Camden? I've looked through the cruising guides at all the harbors along the way but wanted to get some suggestions from people who may have made this trip in the past.
Thanks very much.
PZ825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 07:17   #2

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Best route Boston to Camden, Maine sailing daytime only

I've been researching that same trip myself. There are a whole series of youtube videos (archived from a t.v. series) that I highly recommend: NewEnglandBoating.com

Note: this is not a sailing channel, it's a power boating channel. But they do a great job showing where to go by boat, what you'll find, what to do when you get there, marina info, anchorage info, and local restaurant recommendations.

The production is slick, entertainment value is high, but most important is the information they share about the areas that they visit.

Episodes include Long Island, Montauk, Block Island, Cape Cod, Boston, Boston Islands, Martha's Vineyard, Providence, New Bedford, Bar Harbor, Nantucket, Rockland, Portsmouth among other destinations.

I think it's a great resource for anyone wanting to visit New England by boat.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 07:20   #3

Thanks, Bob, I'll check it out.
Old 26-01-2022, 07:35   #4

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

PZ825,

Your trip should be easily done (presuming suitable weather!) and there are LOTS of delightful stops along the way - no need for overnights.
Starting in Boston, there are nice harbors at Marblehead (very close), Gloucester (a nice day) and around Cape Ann to Rockport, MA (a long day, and not suitable if the overnight wind is North).
From Gloucester, Isle of Shoals or The Piscataqua River (Portsmouth, NH or Kittery, ME) is a good day trip. Isle of shoals can be tricky for anchoring, but if you can pick up a mooring, it's nice. There are a number of mooring fields and marinas up the Piscataqua - you need to be aware of the tidal current here, however, as it really runs hard. We've anchored in Pepperell Cove, under the Fort, across from the CG station a number of time (mind the lobster pots!) but there is a large and reasonable mooring field there, too.
From Portsmouth/Kittery, it's a long day up to Portland and Casco Bay, but you can stop at Bitteford Pool (moorings from the YC, or anchor), use the free moorings at the mouth of the Saco River, or anchor at Richmond Island on the S side of Cape Elizabeth.
Once you are in Casco Bay, you have approximately a bazillion places to stop & spend the night! I would acquire a copy of the "Taft Book" - Cruising Guide to Maine, teh current edition is done by Curtis Rindlaub. For some reason Amazon doesn't have it, but you can get a copy here: https://www.mainecoastguide.com/shop-online/

Then get our your planning chart and start the enjoyment of figuring out where you want to go! If you have specific questions about ports or anchorages, Active Captain or Waterway Guide have excellent crowd-sourced info, or you can post a question here.

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 07:35   #5

Boat: Currently boatless

My suggested stops from Boston to Camden would be:
  1. pick one depending on the weather: Little Harbor in Portsmouth, Isles of Shoals, or York. I have also stopped in Kennebunkport, but it's pretty shallow there.
  2. Casco Bay: Portland, Jewell Island, or Potts Harbor (Dolphin Marina). Freeport is nice, but tit's pretty far out of the way.
  3. Sheepscott River (Ebenecook Harbor) or Booth Bay or Damariscove Island. Damariscove is very pretty, but it's also pretty small harbor and probably not a great choice if the weather forecast is less than ideal.
  4. Tenants Harbor. Another possibility, a little farther East would be Dix Island/High Island at the East end of Muscle Ridge Channel
  5. Camden
This would be a relaxing itinerary without any long days. You can certainly make it shorter, and there are many alternatives, but these would be my picks.
Old 26-01-2022, 07:45   #6

Boat: Adams 45

North of Boston I've enjoyed moorings in Salem Harbor or nearby at Manchester YC. The outer harbor at Gloucester (Eastern Point YC) was too rocky and noisy with fishing boat traffic, so I wouldn't go there again. Next stop north was either Isle of Shoals (rugged), New Castle or Portsmouth, all in NH, or York Harbor, ME (very peaceful). Next stop would be somewhere near Portland, ME. Lots of options there, ranging from Richmond Island on the west side of Cape Elizabeth (with suitable wind direction) to downtown Portland (docks only, no moorings), Handy Boat Service in Falmouth Foreside (moorings), or anywhere along the Casco Bay. The Basin, east of Cundy's Harbor, was a very special and beautiful place for a night. I've avoided the crowded Booth Bay Harbor and stayed at nearby Linekin Bay Resort (mooring), where it's about a half hour walk into town. Tenants Harbor is nice- very small town near the mouth of Penobscot Bay. Clam Cove is a nice spot between Rockland and Rockport.

The best cruising guide I've ever seen is "A Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast", originally by the Tafts and now by Rindlaub. I wouldn't cruise Maine without it- very accurate descriptions of nearly every possible port and anchorage, including everything I mentioned above. It includes the NH coast as well.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 07:49   #7

Boat: Sabre 426

You might like some of the good information from water sailing">Blue Water Sailing Club 's web site. Additionally, I believe they will be hosting a seminar later this winter on preparing to, and sailing in Maine. For example, one challenge you may encounter when you sail East are the lobster pots and their connecting toggles.
Resolve78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 08:16   #8

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42

PZ,

Others have given good ideas for stops along the way but I would like to suggest that your final destination of Camden be replaced with Rockland. Camden is a small, busy, expensive place. Rockland has plenty of space to anchor, a number of marinas for berths and nice restaurants, galleries and museums to visit.

We very rarely go into Camden during the summer season because it is so busy and crowded.

Cheers
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 10:45   #9

Thanks everyone for all your advice. It will be very helpful as I go forward with planning our trip. Summer can't get here soon enough!
Old 26-01-2022, 11:59   #10

Boat: sabre 456 and leopard 42

I’ve made this trip from Cape Ann multiple times. You have many options depending on how many hours you wish to sail. From Boston it’s a very easy day sail to Gloucester or Rockport. If you’re willing to go longer, Isle of Shoals, Portsmouth, or Biddeford Pool would be your next option. From there you can head for Portland. Portland to Christmas Cove is typically a fun sail, and Christmas Cove is a very nice stopping point. From Christmas Cove you can head for Tenant’s Harbor, Rockland, or right through to Camden. I’d recommend taking your time and checking out the numerous spots to visit between Christmas Cove and Camden.
sowwaninii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 12:26   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartleyg View Post
PZ825,

Your trip should be easily done (presuming suitable weather!) and there are LOTS of delightful stops along the way - no need for overnights.....
......Hartley
S/V Atsa
Our cruising along this route comes closest to Hartleyg's suggestions, although with our shoal draft we usually cut from Gloucester to Iles of Shoals by way of the short canal cutting off the trip around the cape.

We also found the currents heading up to Portsmouth, NH troublesome. Unless we wanted to stay at Prescott Park Docks next to the I-95 bridge for a couple days to enjoy the town; we would anchor in the area of far less current near Kittery. We found good holding approaching the shore to a favored depth while staying on the Maine/NH state line demarcation.

We most often took the long day to Portland from either Isle of Shoals or Kittery, but sometimes took a mooring at Bitteford (Usually with fog slowing us).

As Hartleyg said, there are many options beyond Portland,- we favored Great Cheabegue, Jewel Island, Snow Island anchorages and moorings at Tenet's Harbor and Boothbay.....
Old 26-01-2022, 17:58   #12

Boat: Catalina 355 35'

A lot of good info already. I'll add that when we moved our boat from NJ up to Portland ME we hopped from Scituate MA to Portsmouth NH. We stayed at the Piscataqua marina which is hard by the Route 1 bridge about 3 or so NM up river. Short walk over the bridge into historic Portsmouth. Beware the current though at that part of the river. You may want to arrive/leave near slack tide.
This past October on the way down to Boston for haul out we stayed at the Wentworth by the sea marina near the mouth of the river. Summer rates are pretty high (in Oct. only $1/ft) but they have a couple of loaner cars you can take for a few hours to go into town.
As you head east out of Portland area an interesting overnight stop is Seguin Island. There are 6 'free' moorings available, donation requested, that are maintained by the Friends of Seguin Island. It's pretty calm if the wind and swell are not N through E. Prevailing wind and swell in summer is typically SW. You'll need to dinghy yourself to the small beach if you want to explore the island and the cool Fresnel lens in the lighthouse.
Just south of Rockland and around the bend is Port Clyde where the ferry to Monhegan docks. We anchored on the north side of Hupper I., very quiet until lobster boats leave around 4am. But hey, it's Maine. Port Clyde General Store is quaint with some decent provisions. Upstairs is a small Wyeth museum.
In Rockland we stayed at the Safe Harbor Rockland marina. Super clean showers, they even provided towels.

Have a great trip.

Bill
S/v Navasana
maine-cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 18:27   #13

All good comments. From Boston to Portland I recommend the following if you are taking your time:
Gloucester (inner harbor)

Isles of Shoals (if no available mooring head over to Little Harbor, Portsmouth)
Biddeford Pool
Portland
kedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 19:11   #14

Boat: 42' vagabond

Best route this time of year is I95
chuckg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2022, 07:34   #15

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote: