Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2020, 15:07   #1

Best place to do a refit

Hello everyone
I have a 1985 Pearson 422 that is in need of some love. I’ve been looking for places to get a complete interior refit as well as all new standing rigging. Follow the boat just did a complete job at PSS ship yard in Thailand and looked like quality work for a reasonable price.
Does anyone have advice on their experience in this yard or have another one to recommend that is closer to Florida. Currently the boat is in Florida and would be nice to find a place closer than Thailand to get quality work without breaking the bank. Was looking at Mexico also but not sure if that would be a good place or not. Any advice is much appreciated!
Rickoshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 15:34   #2

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Best place to do a refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickoshay View Post
Hello everyone
I have a 1985 Pearson 422 that is in need of some love. I’ve been looking for places to get a complete interior refit as well as all new standing rigging. Follow the boat just did a complete job at PSS ship yard in Thailand and looked like quality work for a reasonable price.
Does anyone have advice on their experience in this yard or have another one to recommend that is closer to Florida. Currently the boat is in Florida and would be nice to find a place closer than Thailand to get quality work without breaking the bank. Was looking at Mexico also but not sure if that would be a good place or not. Any advice is much appreciated!
We have had excellent luck with work done in Thailand (a major refit), although not PSS, (although I know others who have been pleased with that yard). That being said we know people who are seriously unhappy with work they had done in Thailand. The most important factor is your own involvement. You need to be the prime contractor and supervise everything. It's not that the workers are dishonest, it's just that they will not completely understand your requirements.

The problem with Thailand is it's distance from Florida. You have to get your boat to Thailand. Any savings you get will be lost in the transit.

The same goes with Mexico. It's a great place for rigging, metal work, engineering, painting, probably upholstery and interior varnishing. Other refitting I'm not sure of. But again, you need to be onsite and involved, and choose who you want for each part of the job. You cannot expect great results if you turn the whole job over to a single person, OR, you might get a great job, but at a premium price.

AND you have to get your boat to the west coast of Mexico.

My recommendation, from personal experience, is Trinidad. It is much closer and they have all the skills there. Many boats (hundreds) have been going there each summer to avoid hurricanes and have had extensive work done during the Lay-up. Once again, you get an excellent job at a good price if you are on-site. Right now the issue is getting across the borders due to corona virus.

Check here for some info on the main yards there, https://www.trinidad-cruisers.com/yards.php#tag5

Check here for info on the situation Yacht Services Association of Trinidad and Tobago

And be aware that there are many individual marine services businesses in addition to the big boat yards.

We had great work by small shops for welding, upholstery, and batteries.

Plus, parts importation for vessels in transit is easy and free.
Old 16-08-2020, 15:42   #3

Boat: Boatless

Ther is a very good and reasonable priced carpenter in Cartagenia but not a place for rigging.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 17:35   #4

Nearing completion of a major refit in Ensenada MX, South of San Diego, a 1-1/2 year project.

Yard work is a 3-legged stool. Labor rates, parts/supplies (access and charges) , and quality of workmanship.

From Florida, I hear decent feedback on Isla Mujeres MX, about 400 nms from Kew West.

My experience is being remote works fine if you have adequate knowledge about what you want done. My hunch is that when people say you have to be on site to manage the project, the issue is someone has to answer the many questions that come up. If you're not skilled and knowledgeable, it's ver hard unless you're there.

YMMV

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 09:16   #5

Boat: Taswell 43

FWIW, we had our boat in Phuket, Thialand for almost a year, redoing some interior, a new teak deck, replaced the teak caprails, repainted and put non-skid on the coachroof, completely replaced the standing rigging, redid the refer and aircon systems, had some radio and some electronics worked, and a whole host of other smaller jobs. We found all the contractors to be very fair (re: pricing) and the quality of work exceptional. We rented an apartment on the marina, rode a bike and lived there as the work was being done. Not only did our boat get a complete rebuild, we had a good time! We found Phuket, and the people (both the locals and the cruisers) very comfortable, accommodating, and pleasant. And the sailing, once the boat is redone, absolutely exceptional! We ended up, finally, putting our boat on a freighter to Marmaris, Turkey, then spent 4+ years sailing (in season) the eastern Medd, and then found our way to the Caribbean. All-in-all, a really good experience, and a very good value for the $$. Yes....it's a long way away-1/2 way around the world- but it's an adventure we'd highly recommend. Oh-and while you're there, sail and see some of Asia.....without a doubt the best, the friendliest, and most non-crowded cruising we've ever found.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 10:08   #6
Marine Service Provider

Question Re: Best place to do a refit

Has anyone had experience in the Rio Dulce area of Guatemala. I understand that it used to be a very good place for refits.
Old 17-08-2020, 14:07   #7

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey DS43

SK-Yachting, Peter Nölle, owner, in Marmaris, Turkey. A great opportunity to discover the coast of Turkey and the authentic Greek islands. SKY is reliable and honest. Prices are good with labor somewhat lower cost. We’ve been using their services on a yearly basis since 2014. They stand behind their work!
p.noelle@gmx.net. You can use our name if you wish. Good luck!
Chalifour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 15:32   #8

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I have herd good things about BOCK marine in North Carolina. Nothing specific but give it a look there 10+ miles up the ICW fromBeaufort / Morehead city.
As said you have to be there to direct the work. They allow hard/dry live aboards.

Good luck
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 17:00   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie J. View Post
Has anyone had experience in the Rio Dulce area of Guatemala. I understand that it used to be a very good place for refits.
To me a refit is a 3 legged stool. Labor rates, quality, access to parts. Best I can tell, Rio Dulce is an "A" for cheap labor rates, "C+" on quality, and a "D" for access. I chose Mexico as it was a straight "B" grade. The places I checked in Florida were an F for rates, but pretty high for the other two.
Old 18-08-2020, 07:55   #10

Boat: Ex Salina 48, now Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv

Should you be interested in just go across the pond.... I can give you excellent recommendation for:
A) Tunisia: cheapest, good quality workmanship, but you need to bring stuff with you.
B) Turkey: dearer, but better organized, you can find most things there.
Both a lot cheaper than anywhere in Europe.

Let me know if I can help.
spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 11:35   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

Demanrk and Holland are outstanding value.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 12:56   #12

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
To me a refit is a 3 legged stool. Labor rates, quality, access to parts. Best I can tell, Rio Dulce is an "A" for cheap labor rates, "C+" on quality, and a "D" for access. I chose Mexico as it was a straight "B" grade. The places I checked in Florida were an F for rates, but pretty high for the other two.
That's not a bad rating in some ways. You could move paint to an A, they do some nice work . Upholstery and canvas work is good too. Machine and welding work is now pretty good also.
"Access", is more like an F- now.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 13:05   #13

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I really think that a place where lots of boats are and have been worked on (literally hundreds each year) will have many more skilled workers and lots of supporting businesses.

For this reason I still favor Trinidad. Labor rates are good, competition among the yards and marine service industries is fierce, and importation of parts and materials is easy.

Add to that it's proximity to Florida, and I'd say that it is a winner.
Old 18-08-2020, 16:38   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
That's not a bad rating in some ways. You could move paint to an A, they do some nice work . Upholstery and canvas work is good too. Machine and welding work is now pretty good also.
"Access", is more like an F- now.
I've had outdoor upholstery done in Mexico. Foam is lousy. Sunbrella available, decent seamstress excellent. Price wasn't ultra cheap, but acceptable.

San Diego has very high quality labor, excellent access to goods, but labor rates are high. Go just 70 miles south to ensenada and rates drop to less than $20/hour, but with a distinct reduction in quality and getting stuff across the border is easier than many places, but still a hassle plus 16% VAT. Another example : I wanted a specific pattern of countertop material. Easily available in US but not distributed in Mexico. Not practical to bring large sheets of counter top material across the border so went with Plan B. And that's best case scenario - 70 miles south of a major metro US center. Imagine being 1000 miles south (La Paz for example) or in another country (Rio Dulce Guatemala).

My point being that getting everything in one place is difficult. There will be compromises. Need to look at the total project, not just labor rates. It takes an experienced owner to know what materials a refit will need, especially when you make changes midway through.
Old 18-08-2020, 20:34   #15

Boat: Ex Salina 48, now Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
For this reason I still favor Trinidad. Labor rates are good, competition among the yards and marine service industries is fierce, and importation of parts and materials is easy.
I second that.
spiv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refit