Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2018, 15:13   #1

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Best place to buy Milwaukee M28 winch kit

I can't buy a Milwaukee M28 drill here in Australia, they don't import them.

I'd like to buy it with the cranker attachment and a spare battery with it as as a kit.

I also believe there is a 240VAC charger available but this might not be a Milwaukee thing so not a deal breaker.

Not knowing the stores in the states can anyone recommend a store that would either ship to Australia or allow FedEx to collect for me on my account.

Looking for the best price as there will be no backup service once its here. I found a good price at Home Depot but I assume they don't ship.

Thanks
Old 20-11-2018, 16:13   #2

Re: Best place to buy Milwaukee M28 winch kit

I’m having a similar issue trying to get a polycraft tuff tender exported from Australia to the US.

If you end up needing someone to buy it here and ship it to you, let me know. I’d be happy to help.
apirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 16:30   #3

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I am in the same boat as Dave_S. Mainly interested to get me up the mast.

Milwaukee makes a 220 Volt charger.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Milwauke...Vkt:rk:48:pf:0
I have been trying to find out if the 110 V charger is OK for 220-240 Volt as well, as often chargers are for multiple voltages. If so, just the plug need to be changed. I have emailed Milwaukee Oz, they didn't know, and emailed Milwaukee US twice..... no reply.

At a push I could use a 110 volt charger, as I have that on board as well.

About TuffTender, they are nice and stable, maybe fit a mast and sail, and sail it your way...... I could do a delivery ...and pick up a M28 drill on my way back.

BTW the guy who sells the 'ultimate cranker' has the M28 drill on Ebay as well, but very pricey, and he responds seldom to questions. ........ just looking, can't find it now.
Old 20-11-2018, 17:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by apirate View Post
I’m having a similar issue trying to get a polycraft tuff tender exported from Australia to the US.

If you end up needing someone to buy it here and ship it to you, let me know. I’d be happy to help.
See how I go online with the M28

What do you need help with on the tender ?
Old 20-11-2018, 17:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
I am in the same boat as Dave_S. Mainly interested to get me up the mast.

Milwaukee makes a 220 Volt charger.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Milwauke...Vkt:rk:48:pf:0
I have been trying to find out if the 110 V charger is OK for 220-240 Volt as well, as often chargers are for multiple voltages. If so, just the plug need to be changed. I have emailed Milwaukee Oz, they didn't know, and emailed Milwaukee US twice..... no reply.

At a push I could use a 110 volt charger, as I have that on board as well.

About TuffTender, they are nice and stable, maybe fit a mast and sail, and sail it your way...... I could do a delivery ...and pick up a M28 drill on my way back.

BTW the guy who sells the 'ultimate cranker' has the M28 drill on Ebay as well, but very pricey, and he responds seldom to questions. ........ just looking, can't find it now.
Thanks for the charger link, wow its expensive. You might be right about the 240/110VAC I wont know until it arrives. There are adaptors from 240 to 110 that I could buy to charge them but doesn't sound too efficient.

I have found some US outlets that sell them for US$360 with one battery and an extra battery is US$150 + freight US$184. I'd still have to buy the cranker on top of that. Plus duty and GST
Old 20-11-2018, 17:39   #6

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

CPO outlets. https://www.cpooutlets.com/

Quote:
have been trying to find out if the 110 V charger is OK for 220-240 Volt as well, as often chargers are for multiple voltages. If so, just the plug need to be changed. I have emailed Milwaukee Oz, they didn't know, and emailed Milwaukee US twice..... no reply.
NO they are not the same. I had to order the milwaukee 240 v charger on Amazon. The tag on the charger that came with the tool was 110v only, i was hoping for the same.

LD
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 20:38   #7

Found a dealer that will sell me the tender and ship it to the port of Brisbane. From there I’m somewhat on my own to get it shipped here. Seems it would be easier if they would handle the shipping arrangements door to door but they just won’t for some reason.

I’ve begun working with a freight forwarder who claims they can handle everything from that point on, we’ll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
See how I go online with the M28

What do you need help with on the tender ?
apirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 21:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by apirate View Post
Found a dealer that will sell me the tender and ship it to the port of Brisbane. From there I’m somewhat on my own to get it shipped here. Seems it would be easier if they would handle the shipping arrangements door to door but they just won’t for some reason.

I’ve begun working with a freight forwarder who claims they can handle everything from that point on, we’ll see.
I'm sure a freight guy can do a better job than me, I'm not sure what I can do but I am in Brisbane if you need something.
Old 21-11-2018, 00:51   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Dave, we have a US re-shipper: My USA. Hope that can help. It means that you can have within US stuff shipped freight free in some locations. Good luck with it.

Beware of Hong Kong people trying to sell you winch bits.

Ann
Old 21-11-2018, 02:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Dave, we have a US re-shipper: My USA. Hope that can help. It means that you can have within US stuff shipped freight free in some locations. Good luck with it.

Beware of Hong Kong people trying to sell you winch bits.

Ann
Thanks Ann

I wasn't sure how it works in the states.

The freight they quote makes it expensive, I'd like to use FedEx if I could.

Thanks for the tip on the winch bit, I thought I'd get the one that replaces the chuck rather than goes into the chuck.
Old 21-11-2018, 08:52   #11

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Dave,

I bought the entire kit from what I believe is the original concept source, The Cranker. I shopped around and couldn't significantly beat their bundled pricing [after shipping was factored in...]

We love it— and it is our emergency 'manual' windlass handle.

Note the winch bits are stainless steel and they make two different designs: One with a shank which inserts into the drill chuck, and the 'Ultimate Cranker' bit which replaces the chuck. [You can put the chuck back on the drill motor easily...] This is stronger, lower profile, and will work in reverse [The chuck can unscrew in reverse under load...]

They include a very nice neoprene cover with a filler to keep the drill motor diameter consistent.

This source also offers the 220 VAC Milwaukee charger as well.

In case this is what you were looking for.

Cheers! Bill
Old 21-11-2018, 09:29   #12

Boat: Caliber 47

Cant you go to Amazon for stuff like that?.....the bit you can get anywhere but there ought to be plenty of places on Amazon who can sell the drill and export it for you.....no?
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 10:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I can't buy a Milwaukee M28 drill here in Australia, they don't import them.

I'd like to buy it with the cranker attachment and a spare battery with it as as a kit.

I also believe there is a 240VAC charger available but this might not be a Milwaukee thing so not a deal breaker.

Not knowing the stores in the states can anyone recommend a store that would either ship to Australia or allow FedEx to collect for me on my account.

Looking for the best price as there will be no backup service once its here. I found a good price at Home Depot but I assume they don't ship.

Thanks
Dave, are you saying you buy 28v batteries and chargers in Oz, or the 28v drill?
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 11:42   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Dave, we bought two batteries for it, that way, you always have a full spare. One battery is good for about 4 trips up our mast for Jim. I made a spray cover for ours, it is not an item you'd want to get salt water in.

We have both 110v and 220v inverters, so we don't have a problem with either kind of charger, but you may want to take a look at that, as well. You might need a step-down transformer to run a 110v charger.

Ann
Old 21-11-2018, 11:47   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
Dave, are you saying you buy 28v batteries and chargers in Oz, or the 28v drill?
That should be “can’t buy”...
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winch