Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2018, 00:48   #46

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30
Re: Best place to buy Milwaukee M28 winch kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
hmmm, the choice of Milwaukee tools in 28 volt is limited, but they are or used to be the best for trades people. Range in 18 Volt is enormous, and with a good range in 12 Volt. I have some of that 18 Volt and 12 volt gear, all faultless, all in the higher price bracket. Milwaukee has many tools that other brands do not have ie caulking gun. And once you tried such gun..... you will never want to squeeze the trigger on a normal gun.
Then I have most of my gear in AEG (mainly 18 and some 12 V), again very good, never a problem, batteries lasted me about 8-9 years, of frequent use (but not used in a trade). I had only one drill as a cheapie (Ozito) and purchased it for that reason. It turned to be expensive, poor power, and poor battery performance and batteries died a year after purchase, just outside warranty period.
So, Milwaukee thumbs up for me
Having looked at their website, they DO have huge line of tools. I just wonder how long it will be before the no longer support 18v tools. I don't think I need the 28v stuff.

WingRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:59   #47

Boat: Herreshoff Nereia H36
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanshoretiga

Short and sharp because most other issues have been aired by others; thanks for all the info.

Question: I prefer not to use an inverter and wondering if anyone knows of 12v chargers for these drills, or other similar tools.

I carry 2 large and a small battery when I leave shore power so that I've always got one for the grinder if I have to cut off the rig at sea. But, I don't have a 12v charger.

Thanks, Jin

oceanshoretiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:00   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanshoretiga View Post
Short and sharp because most other issues have been aired by others; thanks for all the info.

Question: I prefer not to use an inverter and wondering if anyone knows of 12v chargers for these drills, or other similar tools.

I carry 2 large and a small battery when I leave shore power so that I've always got one for the grinder if I have to cut off the rig at sea. But, I don't have a 12v charger.

Thanks, Jin
As far as I can see, there is a 12v charger for the 18v batteries, but none for the 28v ones.

Looks like you an inverter and a 240 volt charger if you want to charge on a boat.

The other option is to buy an 110 v charger and inverter directly from the US, but the inverter would be dedicated to the drill charger unless you had other
110v stuff onboard
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:00   #49

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

All - great information here and I hope you could find a way to order the M28 to Australia.

Considering this as an emergency/utility device for the winches, would appreciate your opinion:
1. RPM- the low drill speed is 450 RPM.... as far as I could read from the product description. Is there a variable speed control? As 450 sounds way too fast for cranking, even for the speediest racer.....
2. The M28 is quite heavy and bulky. I do understand it is the drill of choice for the job but was wondering if anyone tried other, lighter and probably with lower torque devices... My very light weight first mate on the cruising boat may still ask for a $3,000 power winch after meeting with the M28....

Thanks for your comments!
DeValency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:57   #50

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran

The problem with the Milwaukee M28 is that it is high speed and relatively low torque for its size. I found that it was hard to control and the battery gave out with the mainsail only 3/4 up the mast.

I later got a Winchrite, which is a purpose built battery powered winch handle. Its top speed is around 120 rpm and has lots of torque for getting the mainsail up plus other winch jobs. I tend to use a regular winch handle for trimming, but use the Winchrite for reefing and the roller furling.

For service, I had a problem with the gear and they fixed it for free even after the warranty had expired. I consider it one of the best purchases I made. It helps a 70+ year old single handler sail a 38 ft. catamaran in the Caribbean.
Old 01-12-2018, 13:25   #51

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
The problem with the Milwaukee M28 is that it is high speed and relatively low torque for its size. I found that it was hard to control and the battery gave out with the mainsail only 3/4 up the mast.
Must have been something wrong with your Milwaukee, for our experience is far better than what you report. Several full hoists of the main (~52 sq m) or two full hoists of 75 kg me to the masthead, and some battery left over for trimming.

And now, after some 4 years of full time cruising usage, it has needed no fixing, free or otherwise.

I'm still a fan!

Jim
Old 01-12-2018, 13:59   #52

Beware of the generic batteries..

I am thinking of making a waterproof sock for the unit, anyone done this and prepared to give some tips?
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 14:34   #53

Location: Continuing to find new places to explore in southeast Alaska.
Boat: Nauticat 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Must have been something wrong with your Milwaukee, for our experience is far better than what you report. Several full hoists of the main (~52 sq m) or two full hoists of 75 kg me to the masthead, and some battery left over for trimming.

And now, after some 4 years of full time cruising usage, it has needed no fixing, free or otherwise.

I'm still a fan!

Jim
Our experience is similar to yours, Jim.

One contributing factor [for those reporting a shorter runtime] could be that a few years ago Milwaukee replaced their older V28 battery model with a much improved M28 version.

We have 2 of the newer M28 Milwaukee batteries, and with the 15 minute charger, can pretty much run the drill continuously if needed. [Our only semi-continuous use case would be if the windlass motor failed in a deep anchorage... or an extended kedging-off exercise using the kedge socket on our Lighthouse windlass...]

Cheers! Bill

Short on opinions; focused on research, facts & experience [yours and ours...]
wrwakefield is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winch