Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2020, 10:15   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Best parts of Florida for living (on land) and sailing/cruising hobby?

My take on the issues as a 40 year resident and boater in FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidla View Post
1. What parts of Florida have good opportunities for sailing and cruising? If there's an active waterfront area with walking, jogging, biking, green scenery, vibrant community, beaches, etc then that would also be a plus!

The gulf coast looks nice, but I've read that the cruising can be limited since you're just restricted to going up and down the coast. I'm not sure if I'd do much more than that anyways, but still something to take into consideration. Which leads me to...''

The up and down limit on cruising is much more of an issue on the east coast until you get to far south FL. Then you have the Bahamas and the Keys as options. Otherwise it is up and down the coast or up and down the ICW with very limited options. West coast it is still kind of up and down but you have lots of islands and towns to visit. Tampa/St Pete is a good option with good flight connections and close to places to cruise.

2. Is the Atlantic coast going to be much different if I'm only looking at shorter cruises from a few days to maybe a week at a time?

See comment above

3. What does the sailing season look like? Is it year round? Does hurricane season = no sailing, or just increased caution?

As said, been boating in FL for 40 years. Have had to prep for hurricanes twice and so far no major problems. However you can put some of that to luck. Summer can be hot, buggy in places and little wind but still plenty of boating to be done.

Opportunities to sail in challenging conditions (while still being able to have calm and relaxing sailing) would potentially be a plus, because I'd like to gain experience that I can use for longer and more challenging cruising in the future.

Any suggestion or advice is appreciated. Since I'm young-ish and single I would want to avoid areas that are mostly retired folk (nothing against you all, but I need to have a dating life!).

Well St Pete is a retirement destination but still lots of young people and activities in the area. Basically this is an urban area non stop from Sarasota/Bradenton to north of Clearwater so you can pick and choose.

Thanks
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 10:21   #17

Boat: Hunter 30 G

+1 for St.Pete. I wish I had moved here when I got out of the Navy. We are old, but downtown St Pete is a happening place. There is something going on every weekend, and the bar and music scene is awesome. I personally haven't sailed in Tampa bay since our boat is @ John's Pass, 5 minutes to the gulf, and there are many places to sail to from there, mostly south.
Old 22-06-2020, 10:37   #18

Boat: Island Packet 349

1. What parts of Florida have good opportunities for sailing and cruising?

Florida Keys

If there's an active waterfront area with walking, jogging, biking, green scenery, vibrant community, beaches, etc then that would also be a plus!

Gold Coast - Miami Beach up to West Palm Beach

The gulf coast looks nice, but I've read that the cruising can be limited since you're just restricted to going up and down the coast. I'm not sure if I'd do much more than that anyways, but still something to take into consideration. Which leads me to...

Gulf coast is mostly for fishing with an exception of Tampa Bay; people do sail there. However, the best aquatic feature in Florida is the barrier coral reef. It starts on the East coast just South of Miami and goes parallel to the Keys. The water is very clean and clear there too. On the Gulf side the water is murky.

2. Is the Atlantic coast going to be much different if I'm only looking at shorter cruises from a few days to maybe a week at a time?

Biscayne Bay is very good for that. Otherwise, the biggest advantage of the Atlantic coast is the proximity to the Bahamas.

3. What does the sailing season look like? Is it year round? Does hurricane season = no sailing, or just increased caution?

The season is October to May. June to September is doable, but less fun (rainy season, bugs, generally poor winds, frequent squalls, and occasional tropical storms).

Opportunities to sail in challenging conditions (while still being able to have calm and relaxing sailing) would potentially be a plus, because I'd like to gain experience that I can use for longer and more challenging cruising in the future.

There are plenty of challenging conditions in winter time when cold fronts come.

Any suggestion or advice is appreciated. Since I'm young-ish and single I would want to avoid areas that are mostly retired folk (nothing against you all, but I need to have a dating life!).

Miami area should work. It is not really expensive. In fact, it is downright cheap compared to the Left coast of USA. Waiting lists to put a boat in a convenient marina may be long, so you may need to improvise.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 10:49   #19

Boat: American 14.6

Lots of good information being posted here...

I think it comes down to the type of sailing you want to do.

I currently live in St Augustine, and we have one of those little narrow inlets to get in/out of. The current can really rip through the inlet (3+ knots). I sail my 14' dingy in the Intracoastal (ICW) and have to plan my sailing according to the wind and current direction (so can't just sail any day, and I don't take my little boat outside...too small). Sailing the ICW is really not my idea of sailing (I like open water) but that's all I have currently.

Marina costs are around $13-$17 per foot per month in St Augustine, but you do have a short motor/sail to get outside which has value. The closer you get to the inlet, the higher the cost which makes sense. The city does lease moorings in the ICW and they are quite a bit cheaper, but you have to deal with getting to/from your boat and the lack of security (which I've heard can be an issue). There are at least 4 boatyards that I can think of, so getting work done on your boat isn't an issue. I think 1 or 2 allow DIY, with limitations.

I used to sail a 30-footer out of New Port Richey on the west coast of FL (north of Clearwater), and although shallow (8' mostly where I sailed), I was OK since I had 3.5' of water under the keel...you get used to it (shallow draft helps).

If I could change locations right now, I would choose the Tampa Bay area or further south on the west coast. Lots of good day sailing and short 2-3 days overnight trips (which fits with my desired sailing). With more time (7-10 days) you can make the Keys and back. Depending on where you are in Tampa Bay, it isn't far to get outside. Having said that, the bay itself is a great place to sail. So lots of sailing options.

South Florida (east side) is expensive and the marinas are too. The biggest benefit is proximity to the Bahamas. You have to ask yourself, how often do you think you will be doing that? If a lot, then it may be worth the cost to you. Proximity to open water is also a factor else you spend half your time motoring in the ICW or a river to an inlet to get outside. That's OK if only have to do that once every six months when you leave on an extended voyage, but if you're doing it every week, that would get old.

So think about the type of sailing you plan on doing, and how often, and use that as your guide.

We sail all year here...hurricanes are not an issue unless it comes through your area, then you just batten down the hatches and hope for the best.

Personally, I love living in Florida (and have lived elsewhere but keep coming back), but it's not for everyone.

Happy sailing!
RileyBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 10:56   #20

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
1. What parts of Florida have good opportunities for sailing and cruising?

Florida Keys
I didn't address the Keys in my previous post, but I did spend last winter cruising and living down there. Sailing and watersports activities are tremendous. Especially, if you are located by one of the cross-overs from the bay side to the Atlantic side, Seven Mile Bridge or Channel 5.

The watersports like diving, snorkeling, kayaking and fishing are terrific. However, once down there, if you need some thing major, hardware wise or even kitchen gadgets, it's a couple hours drive to Homestead, Miami or Ft Lauderdale. Of my six month stay down there, that was the thing that got old.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 11:37   #21

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

What are you looking for?

If it was between FL and CA I’m not sure what your target is aside from warm weather.

I’d skip fort L, its expensive and I think you’d have more fun north or way ksouth, I was just living there for a good stretch and, not bad, but meh, not ereally a sailing scene, more yacht people.
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 12:20   #22

Having just relocated from Wisconsin to SW Florida I can relate. We've sailed Lake Michigan out of Kenosha for the past several years. Other than some very unpredictable weather, short interval and sometimes big waves to deal with Lake Michigan presents few of the hazards that you'll encounter in gulf. Un-like Lake Michigan you'll be dealing with shallows, manatee zones, reefs and other underwater hazards. You might want to download the Navonics app and take a good close look at the in-close depths that you'll be dealing with. We chose the Port Charlotte area after studying the Ft. Meyers underwater terrain. It seems to be good for day sailing and provides a direct and fairly quick exit through the Boca Grande pass to get to open water (9-10 miles). We plan to cruise (often) to the Key's and Islands beyond and feel that this is a good location for both day and longer cruising. We're still figuring out what we will or want to do for Hurricane protection but so far most folks are saying tie up and hope for the best. Lots of waterfront condos here. Good Luck with your search.
Hawkeye411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 13:17   #23

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Just a quick note about going to the Bahamas. A lot of folks would say the best jump off point from Florida to the Bahamas is Rodriguez Key just off Key Largo. While it is a few miles more to Bimini that straight across from Miami you get a big push from the Gulf Stream often at 3+ knots; not to mention you may well find a buddy boat (or not). I spent way too much time in the BKH vortex as a base. Never had a problem getting stuff I needed through Amazon. Biggest downside is housing is expensive.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 14:05   #24

Boat: Watkins 29

I would strongly recommend Biscayne Bay and Miami. The sailing us awesome! I currently live in Ft. Lauderdale and wish I was still in Miami area just for the sailing!

Lots of cool places to sail to, lots of great anchorages, a short hop to Bimini in tge Bahamas and the Florida keys!

Dockage is not cheap though!
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 14:25   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Ft. Myers/Sanibel Island area has easy Gulf sailing, overnight from the Keys, easy to get to Sarasota and Clearwater. People sail year 'round, easy to hide way up the Caloosahatchee if hurricane's coming; good safe boat storage at Glade's.

How far up till you reach a fixed bridge?
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 14:32   #26

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidla View Post
I'm 33, single, and like to sail...but I live in Wisconsin on Lake Michigan and we have a pretty short period of time to sail in warm weather. Most of my other hobbies also require warm weather like hiking, kayaking, biking, etc.

I can work remotely from anywhere with an internet connection, so I'm thinking of relocating to somewhere in Florida either full time or only part of the year (ex. might keep my apartment here and split my months between WI and FL). I would be living in a normal apartment, not on a boat.

** For now I'm restricting my search to just FL even though I know Cali would also be a good choice. **

SO anyways, this brings me to my questions:

1. What parts of Florida have good opportunities for sailing and cruising? If there's an active waterfront area with walking, jogging, biking, green scenery, vibrant community, beaches, etc then that would also be a plus!

The gulf coast looks nice, but I've read that the cruising can be limited since you're just restricted to going up and down the coast. I'm not sure if I'd do much more than that anyways, but still something to take into consideration. Which leads me to...

Thanks
I'd agree with 'pilot' on the panhandle and Panama City. We spent a couple of years in Destin just to the west and enjoyed the area. Decent sailing opportunities, good mix of people. It is cooler in the winter to be sure - kind of like an extension of Alabama for better or worse. But you have to go south of a line from Tampa across to Melbourne more or less to find reliable warm weather - and then the traffic, and the 'retired folk' (that would be us!) seem to be kind of overwhelming. If you're up around Panama City/Destin check out Niceville.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 17:39   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
How far up till you reach a fixed bridge?
It's been a while, but there's fixed bridges at Ft. Myers--tall ones. The only one I know of that's low is beyond Glade's. I'm pretty sure you can carry a 60' air draft to Glades.
Old 22-06-2020, 17:54   #28

The shortest fixed bridge on the west coast, AFAIK, is in Goodland. I think it's about 58'. The bridges in San Carlos Bay, Sarasota, St Pete Beach and Clearwater are all 65 feet tall.......

Edited to add: the San Carlos bridge in Goodland is only 48' tall...............
Old 22-06-2020, 18:04   #29

Quote:
I spent way too much time in the BKH vortex as a base. Never had a problem getting stuff I needed through Amazon.
Works great if you are in BKH, not so much if you are anchored in Newfound Harbor with no mailing address.....
Old 22-06-2020, 18:13   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...mageBasicHover

We sailed directly from Coconut Grove to Japan...just 30 countries in between!
My boats name is "Moonshadow" so hello from moon to moon.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, florida, parts, sail, sailing