Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2021, 10:25   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression
Re: Best location to search for sailboats around E Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo37 View Post
Thanks to those who responded, much appreciated. But, yeah, the internet/ Yachtworld thing is what I've been doing the last few years as retirement approached. I planned on being on my way a couple of years back, but, well, what can ya do. Maybe I'm missing something but the Yachtworld et al searches aren't what they used to be; seems to be very little of interest that comes up. Primarily I'm interested in finding a Morgan 384, Pearson 367, Bayfield 36 or, possibly, a Tartan 37 or Tayana 37 in good to excellent condition (part of the problem perhaps). First the Caribbean then South Pacific up to Vancouver and the BC coast. Thanks again.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...n-384-3832895/
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for...rtan/model-37/

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats-f...yana/model-37/
all boat you search is on market. make list plane trip and buy one.
and forget this excellent condition like new or better from new.
more is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2021, 12:42   #17

you do no covie is bad in fla if you plan to in joy your retirement look on line
amfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2021, 13:48   #18

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo37 View Post
One further question for you if you don't mind. As your search was obviously systematic and thorough, did you find that there were many boats available that weren't on the internet/ yachtworld etc? Thanks in advance.
My apologies in advance as I am on my phone and not at my computer and thus transcription errors likely will creep in.

However, to your question, a buyer's broker can approach independent sellers on your behalf. It pays to have someone in your corner. As well, they will know the area better than you likely will, and quite possibly will know the type of boat better than you would to boot.

In my case, the internet was in its infancy and as such I did not have a great number of for sale by owners available.

As well, as this was in 2004, there were an ample supply of boats available and while it was not a buyer's market, it certainly had more selection available than we do today.

As regards fizbos, I think unless I were local I would not want to try to approach that market because you are at the whim of everyone who is individually selling having a schedule that does not necessarily match yours, having come to an area that you don't live in. Therefore, again, the use of a buyer's broker...

As it's a seller's market, you should accept that you will have to pay a buyer's broker to work on your behalf in the case of a fsbo. That buyers broker can assure the prospective seller that he is being paid by you and he will not have to incur a cost if he sells the boat in question to you. Of course, if a deal is being struck, everything is negotiable...

All that said, a face-to-face with a seller will sometimes result in the most amazing deals, including the outright gift of a boat to the prospective purchaser. Please note I'm not suggesting that you expect that but I have heard of far too many cases where that happens, including a Bristol condition fully equipped Endeavor 43 (from the recipient), to think that it might not. For myself, in the course of the various excursions that we have made with regards to the boat we own and boats that we were considering, I have given away three cars. And, following our wreck, I was GIVEN one... QED 😁

Once again, I apologize for this having been done on my phone and as such I probably have forgotten some things that I might have otherwise said. However, I wish you well and I hope you have a great time doing your search.
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2021, 13:55   #19

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

PS, I may know of a tartan 37 which will be available as the owners look to move up.

We are currently mentoring them and they are about to pull the boat out to do a bottom job. Lithium battery system and a variety of other goodies.

Likely that haul out will be on the Florida Georgia border at a place called Rocky's near St Marys georgia.

Drop me a note if you would like me to ask them if they would like to talk to you.
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 08:19   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
PS, I may know of a tartan 37 which will be available as the owners look to move up.

We are currently mentoring them and they are about to pull the boat out to do a bottom job. Lithium battery system and a variety of other goodies.

Likely that haul out will be on the Florida Georgia border at a place called Rocky's near St Marys georgia.

Drop me a note if you would like me to ask them if they would like to talk to you.
Once again thanks so much for the helpful reply. I may PM you once I'm there and have had a chance to look around. Cheers.
sambo37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, boat, florida, sail, sailboat