Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2019, 10:36   #31

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Re: Best flashlight?

Just thought I'd throw this out here good to the end of the month. Keep it simple sailor. One battery to rule them all.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191207-133233.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	204528
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 15:25   #32

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

My DeWALT DCL040 flashlight is a handy device. I keep it w/ my other DeWALT tools, so the extra batteries are always available.

The ratcheting spot, bail hook and sturdy base make for a useful light.

wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 16:06   #33

Maglights, You can see the way and you can beat the crap of someone trying to board your boat unwanted.
Old 09-12-2019, 16:51   #34

Boat: 1980 Choate CF40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
Just thought I'd throw this out here good to the end of the month. Keep it simple sailor. One battery to rule them all.Attachment 204528
nah man. I do professional photography. I also use these in just about every damn thing that takes them. They last a long time, provide a ton of current, and are rechargable seemingly forever. I still have my original ones from 10+ years ago in the mix going strong.

https://www.amazon.com/Eneloop-Capac.../dp/B00QVNQ810

note that these are NOT standard eneloops. these are an industrial grade high current high capacity cell. vastly superior to every single alkaline battery I have real-world abused, err, tested.
Morgali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 13:13   #35

Morgali, I didn't necessarily recommend these over rechargeables.(read previous posts) just for the head lamp type flashlights I think aa is the best way to go: that's what I meant by one battery to rule them all. But I also have a Ryobi tool kit that I wish I had LED bulbs for the flashlights. And for a super bright spot I like the idea of the recommended flashlight that uses 3 D batteries. Besides it's tight beam it's especially convenient so you can walk up to the bow and absolutely not lose your night vision. Also the portability lets you take it in the dinghy with you if necessary.
For using it for shorter periods of time I have "cilinders" the size of d batteries that the aa can fit into
Old 11-12-2019, 13:58   #36
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
Just thought I'd throw this out here good to the end of the month. Keep it simple sailor. One battery to rule them all.
Much prefer 18650's. Bit of a investment to start with but after that masses more power. 2nd hand off ebay can be cheap, last lot about half still had well over 1Ah each when tested. Nitecore charger will charge aaa, aa & 18650 off 12v.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 14:08   #37

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgary View Post
Maglights, You can see the way and you can beat the crap of someone trying to board your boat unwanted.

Mag lights used to be great but their product quality has been terrible.Lousy bulbs etc.
The new generation rechargeable "military" style knock offs are cheap,light and work great.

I do agree about the bashing someone over head quality. Still there.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 15:32   #38

Boat: Nauticat 43

I think Coast flashlights have worked well. There are numerous models available of different physical sizes and light outputs and they are water resistant. And, Energizer head lights have been terrific for hands-free operation. They have good light output and there is a model with multi-color capability which lights up red first.
Old 12-12-2019, 14:21   #39

I carry a MagLite Mini with red lens in a pouch attached to my pfd. The pouch also holds my rigging knife. I quite like the setup.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 17:12   #40

Here's another good option. You can charge it with the sun or plug it in to a standard phone charger. It has high, low and sos LED lights, It also can charge laptops and phones. If you believe them it's a 3 amp hour battery.

https://www.amazon.com/Chargers-Dual.../dp/B081DBBRKG

I just noticed it says 30,000 mAh
Also you can get it for $19.99 with free shipping if you order over $25
Old 26-07-2021, 05:19   #41
cruiser

I've always been afraid of the dark in the engine room, so I also would like to find a decent flashlight or a headlamp. There are so many suggestions here, and most of them might be outdated.
millersues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 05:53   #42

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Petzl headlamps are very popular in the hiking community. A number of models have rechargeable batteries (USB).
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 09:51   #43

I need to wear glasses so it is hard for me to work on the engine trying to focus. I had some older LED modules installed three of them in the engine compartment with a small switch. No need to flashlight I can see everything perfect, front to back.
Turn the lights on look in just to make sure everything is in place and you can notice things better.

https://www.amazon.com/ROYFACC-Inter...s%2C246&sr=8-5
fireant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2022, 10:30   #44

Hmmm, many of these links are returning "404 page not found".

My opinion: I have been a flashlight nerd for years, and have found that the maglights fail or need new bulbs, the fenix fail, and in general, the price per lumens has fallen so dramatically lately that you can light up the night for prices so low that they are almost disposable these days.

I do still have a small Surefire that cost me about $50 many years ago, and it is still very bright and reliable. However, the odd batteries are hard to find unless you order them by the box, and they die all of a sudden with no gradual dimming, which is good and bad.

While I am generally not a fan of big box stores, I find that nowadays any $20 headlamp at a home improvement store is going to be cheap, handy, very bright, and uses normal aa or aaa batteries. Buy a few of these and leave them in the boat.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2022, 12:31   #45

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Mantis makes a quality headlamp. Best I’ve owned by far.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote