Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2017, 13:59   #46
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Best dual anchor configuration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
I don’t use the term “tandem” in the article, and it can be called whatever you like. It’s the working principal what matters.
I use the CQR’s which were on the boat when I bought it and which fit neatly on my twin bow rollers. I can't see why any of the new style anchors could not be employed in the same manner. It’s just a matter of what you’ve got and what you are familiar with. JR
I published something similar, just about the same time, in Practical Sailor. What makes it work is that the nearer anchor can easily adjust to the wind direction, while the farther anchor provides holds without having to move much. I tested this on beaches, on the boat in sand and mud, and with many anchor types. It is very dependable and the load is actually shared between the two anchors, even with considerable shifts.

The main caviat is that the nearer anchor should be one that resets well and drags in a stable manner. The farther anchor can be any sort.

(see image 2)

Old 11-11-2017, 14:28   #47
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser

This tandem anchor technique is all well and good until you anchor in a crowded anchorage. Then it can cause a bit of chaos when your boat doesn't re-position in concert with the other boats with shifting winds.
Or am I missing something?
Zai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 14:45   #48

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

You are not missing anything Zai. But would your rather conform to the expected centenary of all the other boats and drag like them in a blow? The professional answer, which I use when I know the depth, is to buoy the second anchor. This marks the rough center of your expected radius, in the event of a change in direction of the boat.
However, notwithstanding all this anchor theory, it usually comes down to circumstances at the time, what type of hook you have, how much rode, etc. It's called seamanship.
Old 12-11-2017, 14:04   #49
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zai View Post
This tandem anchor technique is all well and good until you anchor in a crowded anchorage. Then it can cause a bit of chaos when your boat doesn't re-position in concert with the other boats with shifting winds.
Or am I missing something?
Yes, I think maybe you are. Look only at image 2. The swing is not that different.

Also, this is something that would only be used in extreme weather; a crowded harbor may not be your best choice.

You make a good point of course. But remember that just because a method does not fit every situation or your situation does not make it bad. Obviously one big anchor is better. But that is not the question that was asked.

Tags
anchor