Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2021, 06:10   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Best Dinghy Outboard for Children?

I’m looking at setting up my dinghy so my girlfriend can use it.

She weighs about as much as a teenager and can easily plane with groceries and a 5hp Lehr outboard we had.

When the old tohatsu seized up and the Lehr went in the drink (tough year for outboards), I got a brand new Tohatsu 9.9 EFI to replace them. Great motor.

But also too heavy and way too much power for my girlfriend to handle. She’s scared of the thing as she sometimes gets a little out of control still near docks in tight spaces.

She’s improving but needs something small. 5hp or less.

I was thinking something electric but WOW... the prices!!

Any suggestions on an outboard (even electric would be good since I won’t always be around to fix carbs) that she can use? Max would be 6 miles per day. Typically around 2 miles per day.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:21   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Best Dinghy Outboard for Children?

You have all your answers.
* She can learn to control 9.9 hp. That's not much, far less than her car. You said she ran the last motor on plane. EFI = no carb, just a throttle body.

* Keep the gas dry and the vent closed and the carb will never be a problem. Use Biobor EB or Stabil 360.

* Electric can be nice.

I don't think size is the issue here. But if it is, get small motor and keep the gas dry. Those are the compromises.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
You have all your answers.
* She can learn to control 9.9 hp. That's not much, far less than her car. You said she ran the last motor on plane. EFI = no carb, just a throttle body.

* Keep the gas dry and the vent closed and the carb will never be a problem. Use Biobor EB or Stabil 360.

* Electric can be nice.

I don't think size is the issue here. But if it is, get small motor and keep the gas dry. Those are the compromises.

Sorry, I neglected one thing. She has trouble pull starting the 9.9. The compression resistance is too much. The old 5hp Lehr was an easy pull so she could do it.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:27   #4

Boat: Colegate 26

Have you tried making one out of epoxy?

I'd try an electric for sure.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:33   #5
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

If you can get by with an an electric fishing motor instead of a Torqeedo, used ones are dirt cheap. Range just depends on what size batteries you choose. They can easily go all day, very slow.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
If you can get by with an an electric fishing motor instead of a Torqeedo, used ones are dirt cheap. Range just depends on what size batteries you choose. They can easily go all day, very slow.
I was think of these. Would they move the dinghy at 5-6 knots or so? I have no experience other than remembering my grandfather had one when I was lake fishing with him at 6 hrs old.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:23   #7

We use a Mercury 3.3 on our dinghy. Slow but it gets us there. I have no problems letting my 13 yo daughter drive it around. It’ll plane with only her in the boat but with all of us it’s a slow sometimes wet trip. But it’s easy to start, easy to control and any one of us can lift it off the transom with one hand. Been thinking of getting something bigger but darn it this one just keeps running so well I can’t justify it.
dreadpiratk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:53   #8
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

I doubt you could get 5 knots. I use a 50 lb thrust on my 15 daysailor, and it might get up to 5, but a dinghy is not so efficient.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:59   #9

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

If she's ok with not being able to plane, go for the 2.3 Honda or 2.5 Suzuki. They're only about 30 lbs, so easy to move around and not much penalty for keeping both a small and larger outboard around.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:02   #10
cruiser

Hola Chotu,

I probably don’t have much too offer in response to your question but I just wanted to say how impressed I am with your ability to recall experiences from when you were just 6 hours old!!! Nice work.

Sorry it made me chuckle and I couldn’t resist having a little fun with you. Typos and autocorrect often make for some funny and interesting prose.

I have been fairly happy with my Honda 2HP then later the 2.3HP version although I am not sure if planing is possible with one. Air cooled and no transmission, centrifugal clutch and turn motor 180 degrees for reverse, make for a little less maintenance I believe. Has fuel shutoff and I would run the carb dry if I was going to leave it for more than a week or so without using.

Good luck on your search,
~Jeb

Edit: I see rslifkin beat me to the suggestion of the Honda as I was typing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I was think of these. Would they move the dinghy at 5-6 knots or so? I have no experience other than remembering my grandfather had one when I was lake fishing with him at 6 hrs old.
Luvboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:10   #11

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Best Dinghy Outboard for Children?

I’ve heard good things about the Tohatsu 5 hp propane outboard. This from the outboard mechanic that has repeatedly cleaned the low idle jet on my Tohatsu 3.5 four stroke gasoline outboard. When he is not at his shop he lives aboard a Morgan 50 in San Pedro, CA and uses the Tohatsu propane himself for his primary dinghy motor.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:28   #12

Give her a pair of oars?
ayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:31   #13

Go back to a small Tohatsu as you know she can handle it.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:42   #14

Boat: Panda/Baba 40

I put one of those Bullnose rudder attachments on my 12V Newport 62 trolling motor. I use it as a power assist 'rudder' for my Walker Bay 8 sailing dinghy. Works fine (pretty great, really) for that purpose, but when I tried to use it directly (no sail) against some light chop and 15mph winds, it was pitifully underpowered.

For myself, I want to stay with electric. Like you, my partner is small and the vibration of a gas motor throttle hurts her hand after a while. I've seen 48V trolling motors advertised for ~600USD (no battery) that run at 2kW (the Newport is about 700W max). I've looked at the Torqueedo, but the two "travel" models are rated for 600W and ~1kW respectively. That looks pretty weak to me, but I have no experience with them.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:46   #15

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

Look for a used 2 HP, 2 cycle outboard. I think it is only 19 lbs. I think all of them were made by Tohatsu. I was able to hand it to my wife to put on the rail with 1 hand (quickly). 95% of the time I was going short distances and not needing to plane. I had a 15 HP, 2 cycle, to go distances.
On a second boat I had a 3.3 HP, 2 cycle, Mercury that worked out well too.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children, dinghy, outboard