Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2015, 09:08   #31

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Best Cruising Sailboats for Couples

For us the Tayana 42 is perfect because it is the one we own, it is paid for, we know it pretty well by now after 15 years. And of course it is a very well built cruiser. Are there things we wish were bigger or easier to access? Yes. But, we are happily out cruising, a year and a half so far and still happy with boat and crew.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 09:15   #32

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter
Re: Best Cruising Sailboats for Couples

Just looked at the aft stateroom of the ac cockpit one, to see how they fit the aft stateroom under the aft cockpit floor-

Catalina 470

Gets the job done !
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 09:17   #33

Boat: Catalina 470

I just now read this posting....
And, I think I need to reiterate what I wrote earlier....
Rich, I love ya' man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
The more I’m around this Cruising Industry Game….the more I don’t like giving this type of advice or participating in these type of “Best Boat” discussions because I think they do more harm than good to the cruisers in planning that are told they can’t do it without this, without that….on and on.

I mostly agree with you, about boat shows....mostly a waste...
Quote:
For instance, I somehow managed to buy, outfit and cast off cruising without ever attending a Boat Show. I just never had the time nor desire in the days of the internet when I can research everything in piece and quiet without the “buy now for a once in a lifetime special”. Now that I go to boat shows, quite honestly, I hate them even more for the totally BS image they give cruisers in planning and dreamers. You gotta have this…you gotta have that…**** I would have never thought I could have went cruising if I would have been convinced I needed everything at the Boat Shows these days to have a fun and safe time…I would have given up in rejection and many do!
I haven't been to a boat show in years....but, sometimes they can be fun to "touch 'n feel" stuff, ya' know?

But, I would like to say that I did actually learn something at a boat show...
Yes, over the years of sailing/cruising/voyaging, you learn a lot....but almost never at a boat show...but...
But, some years back....maybe 1999 / 2000? I went to Lee Chesenau's weather seminar at a boat show, just to get a few tips / to keep current with maritime weather forecasting, etc.
And, I LEARNED something very important....

I learned that these new "GRIB files" that some were talking about were only a raw computer-generated model, and not a real "forecast" that I had been raised with....
This was an eye-opener for me, as I had been reading about these "new" methods of marine weather dissemination, but nowhere did anyone every explain what these new Gridded Binary files were....
(yes, those into computers and IT pros, understood this without his explanation....but those of us non-IT guys, and old salt sailors, were surprised by this info...)

So, while I agree with Rich about the ludicrousness of the sales pitches for all the crap at boat shows (including the boats themselves!), and even in all those seminars, etc....
Sometimes, you CAN learn something there....

And, the smartest folks I know, are the ones that are open and accepting to learn new things...everyday....
Heck, if a day goes by and I don't learn something, I'm left with a growing hunger!

Okay, gotta' go...

Fair winds to all...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 09:27   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Does a cat do all of the items, which ones?
A cat does most everything but the queen centerline berth.
You do have to compromise and be willing to ride the overturned hull until the coast guard arrives though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 09:44   #35

Boat: Hunter 386

Speaking of Catalinas, although I can't afford one, I am in love with the Catalina 445's layout. While they are not queens, the two beds both look to be crawled in and out of easier. And I love the "3rd" cabin.

Old 28-02-2015, 10:14   #36

Boat: Catalina 470

Mac,
Although, I'm not personally a fan of the tight 445's "3rd cabin" (which is quite small, BTW), but you may really love the Catalina 470 with the "Bosun's Locker"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Speaking of Catalinas, although I can't afford one, I am in love with the Catalina 445's layout. While they are not queens, the two beds both look to be crawled in and out of easier. And I love the "3rd" cabin.
Out of the 175-180 Catalina 470's made, 3 - 4 had the factory "Bosun Locker" / workshop option....and at least one owner of the standard 2-cabin layout modified theirs to have this...
(and, I think only one or two of the "3-cabin" versions have been made)

Have a look at the layout, all space to the port of the aft queen berth is used as a "stand-up workshop" / "Bosun's Locker", with overhead hatches and opening port....
It takes away half of the lockers/drawers in the aft cabin, as well as some shelf space, and of course the "island" part of the "island queen berth"...

Here are some photos of two friends' boats....sisterships to mine, except they have the "Bosun's Locker / Workshop"....(the photos don't really show the stand-up work space well...but it is there...)
Bosun Locker Ayewash
Bosun Locker Barra

And, lost more Catalina 470 photos here...
C470 Projects by Boat Name

Sorry about the "sales pitch"....but I'm killing time 'til the rain stops!

Fair winds...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 13:46   #37

Outbound 46 hands down. The workroom is the tipping factor. Otherwise, it meets all your requirements, assuming that price is not a factor. The Outbound is worth every dollar.
lionspaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 14:31   #38

We've spent two years now cruising our IP460. Obviously we love it but I think it meets your requests with the exception on the helm blocking easy passage in the cockpit but it takes me a few secs to remove it after the anchor is down, so really only a problem while underway.

- It would have a queen centerline berth. We need to get up at night and crawling over each other to do so gets old.

Owners state room allows easy in out for a couple...not quite centre line though.

- It would have good size shower and the water/power capacity to take a good hot shower regularly and it would need to be able to hold us without banging an elbow every time you try to wash something

Theres 2 showers....aft one is large enough for two...the one in the owners stateroom easily fits four people...Webasto/watermaker and 260 gallons water tank">fresh water tank make shower time a 20 minute affair most times.

- It would have a gallery large to to hold more than 1 butt to be in it at a time

Wife & I both pitch in preparing food in our galley, but it is best for one person.

- I would have at table large enough to play a double 12 domino game (knocks out most center cockpit boats)

Our table folds down off the wall, then out...big enough for us to produce pasta/ravioli's, look at multiple charts, feed 8 at a time.

- it would have a good size freezer/frig for obvious reasons

2 fridge/freezers top loading...keel cooled...one set at 33 degrees for mostly beer

- it would have enough fuel to motor at least 500 miles because we aren't getting younger and sometimes just want to get there

Our tank holds 160 gallons...should have a range over 1000 miles.

- it wouldn't have a bunch of steep steps to get down into the boat

Well I have pitched off the top rung before, but only after the 2nd bottle of wine...I guess they are steep although I can walk down usually without holding on or turning around.

- with wouldn't take a gymnast to work on the engine or get to the bottom of lockers

Main locker is a large walkin at rear behind cockpit...plenty of room for everything inc gen/watermaker/webasto/8 fenders/fishing gear/12 life jackets/ tools/crab & shrimp pots etc etc...my favorite spot on the boat.
Engine has acess to front/both sides/and top rear so servicing is a snap...I put the oil filter into a floor compartment.

- the cockpit wouldn't require you to step up on the settees to get around the helm wheel

Have to remove the wheel....15 seconds.

- it would be 45-50' because I know that is what it will take plus add the other space, storage and comfort a couple would like

48'9"

- it would have a berth that makes a good sea berth other that the floor or the salon (good double aft berth would work)

Salon has both settees as sea berths with starboard one opening wider size of single bunk.

-it would have an easy to handle sailplan even if that isn't as fast and would have oversize winches

Big Lewmar electric winches...furling genoa,furling staysail, in mast furling main (I dont usually bother to head into wind to furl or reef main...we had no furling troubles and sail every day furling/reefing every day mutiple times...who wouldn't its just too easy and fast.

- it would have a dry ride

We have dodger and full cockpit enclosure...always dry till happy hour.

- it would sail fairy flat and more than 15 degrees heel would not be needed to get to 80% hull speed on a close reach

The IP sails better more upright than many others...cutter rig is easy to adjust for this.

- it would be easy to get on/off to the dock/dinghy/launch (knees)

We have a ladder over the transom down to the swim platform....quite civilized in & out.

- space for a guess couple, but not so great that they over-stay their welcome

Our 2nd stateroom has a king sized bunk with attached 3 piece head...maybe too nice...company has often not been leaving soon enough.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 16:49   #39
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

We'll chirp in joining others here who prefer cats for cruising. Many reasons, including those on the OP's checklist.

There seems to be a bit of disagreement about whether cats 'do' centerline berths; we have them and know other cats do as well...and we like them, for the same reasons (not crawling over each other...or climbing up into them!) noted by the OP.

The Captain here spent a lifetime -- Well, up to age 60 anyway -- on monos, mostly racing but a bit of cruising as well. Always looked down at cats...dangerous, not 'real' sailing vessels. Now, however, he will ALWAYS prefer a cat...and with proven confidence of our cat's 'blue water'/big weather safety. The Captain will still enjoy an outing on a mono, but he'll be without the Admiral as she flat refuses to go back to the world of close quarters and heeling.

Each to their own eh?
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 17:31   #40

It was the Admiral who wanted me to buy a mono; too many youtubes of hobie cats on their side. Now all I get is screaming every time we get over 15 degrees. She's even got a spirit level on her phone.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 19:16   #41

Quote:
<snip> "it ISN’T the BOAT!" <clip>
What he said.

Kindest,

Sundae
Old 28-02-2015, 19:49   #42

Boat: 55 fleming

A good list thing that make the cruising life fun. I also would have fuel for 1200nm and a small diesel generator. If I were to be in cold weather a diesel heater would be on the list. A used to be live aboard.
wesevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:43   #43

I recommend Neel 45. But expensive.
Splitsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:14   #44
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesevans View Post
A good list thing that make the cruising life fun. I also would have fuel for 1200nm and a small diesel generator. If I were to be in cold weather a diesel heater would be on the list. A used to be live aboard.
1200 mile range under power on a couples cruising sailboat? Wow, I'm not sure even the Dashew's BEOWULF had such a capability...

Would be nice to have if you were planning on something like the Northwest Passage, however... :-)

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:30   #45

Boat: Scout 30

This boat has a lot of the features you are looking for plus a couple that I really appreciate, an inside helm station & extreme shoal draft.

46RK | Seaward Yachts
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, sail, sailboat