Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2021, 12:46   #1
Registered User
 
DMF Sailing's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Somewhere in the Gulf of Maine
Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
Posts: 874
Images: 6
Best cruising guides for Maine

Ahoy, Forum

I'm planning a cruise Downeast this fall in a 41-foot monohull that draws 7'.

Who can recommend me a current, reliable cruising guide for Maine?
__________________
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 13:09   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 191
Re: Best cruising guides for Maine

https://www.mainecoastguide.com/about2

http://www.eldridgetide.com/
Caleb_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 13:13   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Cheasapeake
Boat: Admiral Executive 38’ Catamaran
Posts: 26
Re: Best cruising guides for Maine

My wife and I are just heading back to the Chesapeake after two months down east. The “Bible” for theses waters is A CRUISING GUIDE TO THE MAINE COAST.
Written by Hank and Jan Taft and Curtis Rindlaub. Currently in sixth edition.
Act Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 14:44   #4
Registered User
 
DMF Sailing's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Somewhere in the Gulf of Maine
Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
Posts: 874
Images: 6
Re: Best cruising guides for Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act Three View Post
My wife and I are just heading back to the Chesapeake after two months down east. The “Bible” for theses waters is A CRUISING GUIDE TO THE MAINE COAST.
Written by Hank and Jan Taft and Curtis Rindlaub. Currently in sixth edition.
Thanks Act and Caleb. Man, if a cruising guide isn't telling me to do it, I'm not sure I'm finding that spot to anchor on the cover.
__________________
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 16:25   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 191
Re: Best cruising guides for Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Thanks Act and Caleb. Man, if a cruising guide isn't telling me to do it, I'm not sure I'm finding that spot to anchor on the cover.
Its Maine man, it all looks like that lol, you would harder pressed to find a spot that doesnt belong on a cover!
Caleb_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 18:40   #6
Registered User
 
DMF Sailing's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Somewhere in the Gulf of Maine
Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
Posts: 874
Images: 6
Re: Best cruising guides for Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb_Grey View Post
Its Maine man, it all looks like that lol, you would harder pressed to find a spot that doesnt belong on a cover!
Oh, I've been to Maine. I just ain't never wandered into a spot like that without a lot of good local intel. I've ordered the book. Thanks!
__________________
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 08:22   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Enkhuizen, NL
Boat: Pearson 36-1
Posts: 756
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose
Re: Best cruising guides for Maine

I always found The Cruising Guide to New England the best guide for all anchorages from Cape May to Canada. It is an enjoyable read as well.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 09:19   #8
Registered User
 
DMF Sailing's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Somewhere in the Gulf of Maine
Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
Posts: 874
Images: 6
Re: Best cruising guides for Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
I always found The Cruising Guide to New England the best guide for all anchorages from Cape May to Canada. It is an enjoyable read as well.
Thanks, George. Do you mean this chestnut?

https://www.amazon.com/Cruising-Guid...dp/0393048586?
__________________
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 09:32   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northeast Harbor, Maine
Boat: Cape Dory 31
Posts: 329
Re: Best cruising guides for Maine

Yup, we agree with Act Three on the cruising guide. The best one out there.

We have lived aboard our boat in Northeast Harbor, ME (on Mt. Desert Island, home of Acadia National Park) for the last 6 summers. If you need any local knowledge, contact us via this forum and we'll be glad to assist.

Maine's lovely. We think you'll agree.

Jenn and Terry McAdams
__________________
Jenn & Terry
North Conway, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 13:26   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Camden, ME
Boat: Pearson 365
Posts: 57
Re: Best cruising guides for Maine

The Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast by Taft and Rindlaub is the gold standard. It covers every harbor and many gunkholes, with instructions on how to get in and out, and what to look out for. It has many small drawings of harbor entrances and anchorages. There are “star” ratings (4 stars are “must go”) as well as rankings for weather protection. It also includes names and phone numbers of key businesses and people, and some interesting historical and cultural blurbs. It also has a section at the end covering the Canadian coast to Saint John and up the Saint John River. We have at least the last four editions, and a copy of the first. My only complaint is that it is a paperback book. I would prefer it bound with a spiral binding or something similar so it could lie flat open.
rondelais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 17:46   #11
Registered User
 
Stu Jackson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cowichan Bay, BC (Maple Bay Marina)
Posts: 9,706
Re: Best cruising guides for Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
.....I'm not sure I'm finding that spot to anchor on the cover.

That brought back a great memory. When my son and I were bringing our boat up from SF to BC in 2016, we stopped and anchored in Port Orchard, a "harbor" "port" with nothing but a very high dock with a crane that lifted the fishing boats out of the water. There was a small roadstead in the guide book that we were using for harbors (Charlies Chart), whereas Douglass' book was more for routes outside harbors.


Before we dropped the hook, I wandered around, trying to "find a good place" not too close to the big dock and not too far east towards a HUGE rock that jutted out from the shore. The rock was almost two stories high, and the south end of it that was in the water looked like real dragon, especially in the photos we took and viewed later.


Finally found "a reasonable place" with no other boats around anchoring, all used the crane.


Had an uneventful and pleasant night.


Looking at the photos on our computer a few night later in a marina further north, I thought the photos we took looked somewhat familiar.


Then I looked at Charlies Chart's anchorage photo.


It showed a sailboat right in the danged spot we had

dropped our hook!



So much for MY "thorough research!"
__________________
Stu Jackson
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 19:10   #12
Registered User

Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,536
Re: Best cruising guides for Maine

Have just completed my 18th Maine summer cruise (the first was in 1977 before GPS!) I use all three of these:

1. ActiveCaptain. Since this is "crowd sourced" you have to use it with care - but it will do a better job of keeping you off the rocks and finding good holding for your anchor than any of the others.

2. Taft - As others have said it does a great job rating the harbors. I also very much like the occasional page devoted to Maine history, ecology, and local sights.

3. Duncan and Ware - Cruising Guide to the New England Coast. For over 40 years this was "the Bible" maintained by Roger Duncan in his Friendship sloop. Roger died in his 90's about 15 years ago so don't expect to find some of the stores or restaurants mentioned. But the location of rocks, tides, beautiful anchorages, and that special feel of cruising Maine doesn't change. The book is a joy to read. If E.B. White had written a cruising guide this would be it. Buy it used off Amazon. Any year. Here is a page from it. I may have "Headed East by Schoodic bell..." inscribed on my tomb stone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 10.07.19 PM.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	244192  
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 21:34   #13
Registered User
 
DMF Sailing's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Somewhere in the Gulf of Maine
Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
Posts: 874
Images: 6
Re: Best cruising guides for Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Have just completed my 18th Maine summer cruise (the first was in 1977 before GPS!) I use all three of these:

1. ActiveCaptain. Since this is "crowd sourced" you have to use it with care - but it will do a better job of keeping you off the rocks and finding good holding for your anchor than any of the others.

2. Taft - As others have said it does a great job rating the harbors. I also very much like the occasional page devoted to Maine history, ecology, and local sights.

3. Duncan and Ware - Cruising Guide to the New England Coast. For over 40 years this was "the Bible" maintained by Roger Duncan in his Friendship sloop. Roger died in his 90's about 15 years ago so don't expect to find some of the stores or restaurants mentioned. But the location of rocks, tides, beautiful anchorages, and that special feel of cruising Maine doesn't change. The book is a joy to read. If E.B. White had written a cruising guide this would be it. Buy it used off Amazon. Any year. Here is a page from it. I may have "Headed East by Schoodic bell..." inscribed on my tomb stone.
Or, perhaps

He was happier east of Schoodic
__________________
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 21:36   #14
Registered User
 
DMF Sailing's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Somewhere in the Gulf of Maine
Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
Posts: 874
Images: 6
Re: Best cruising guides for Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
That brought back a great memory. When my son and I were bringing our boat up from SF to BC in 2016, we stopped and anchored in Port Orchard, a "harbor" "port" with nothing but a very high dock with a crane that lifted the fishing boats out of the water. There was a small roadstead in the guide book that we were using for harbors (Charlies Chart), whereas Douglass' book was more for routes outside harbors.


Before we dropped the hook, I wandered around, trying to "find a good place" not too close to the big dock and not too far east towards a HUGE rock that jutted out from the shore. The rock was almost two stories high, and the south end of it that was in the water looked like real dragon, especially in the photos we took and viewed later.


Finally found "a reasonable place" with no other boats around anchoring, all used the crane.


Had an uneventful and pleasant night.


Looking at the photos on our computer a few night later in a marina further north, I thought the photos we took looked somewhat familiar.


Then I looked at Charlies Chart's anchorage photo.


It showed a sailboat right in the danged spot we had

dropped our hook!



So much for MY "thorough research!"
If you live long enough not according to precedent, you become the precedent
__________________
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cruising, cruising guides, maine

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruising Guides for Rhode Island and Maine SailSB Atlantic & the Caribbean 16 05-06-2021 13:22
For Sale: East Coast Cruising Guides (mostly NE/Maine) mrybas General Classifieds (no boats) 0 06-10-2017 17:33
[SOLD] Cruising Guides - Northeast Coast - New England/Maine Donna Shuman Classifieds Archive 1 24-06-2016 18:49
Best Guides FL to Maine? 2hullvenus Navigation 11 20-07-2015 03:49
For Sale: Cruising guides and pilot guides- various cruiser_wannabe Classifieds Archive 2 02-02-2015 14:38

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:41.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.