Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2016, 19:35   #61

Re: Best cordless tools for sailboats

Quote:
Can I bring a so so batt that won't charge to HD and walk out with a new one? Or do I have to deal w/ RIGID?
Worth a try. Normally, one needs to register a tool to get lifetime warranty, but I know for sure that they make exceptions.
BambooSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 19:55   #62

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tms View Post
I need to upgrade some tools. I really like the Milwaukee cordless tools, but there are too many choices.

Does anyone have a strong opinion on 12v vs 18v? I like the idea of being small and light, but don't want to be short on power?

Does anyone have a strong opinion on 3/8, 1/2, or 1/4 in sizes?

Anything to keep in mind with these or are any of them just fine?
Big range to choose from, but when you mention small and light, that is in line with my selection criteria.

I went for Bosch - whether you go for the green handyman series, or the blue professional series is up to you. But I have chosen the 10.8V pro series, and as an example of the power you can get out of that size battery pack, I have used the drill in hammer mode for 12mm x 100mm deep concrete floor drilling (fixing Dynabolts). With a fair bit of aggregate in the concrete (read, the going can get tough), I get 6 - 8 holes out of a charge. For boat related drilling, then probably all you would need on one battery in a day, unless you are actually building a boat!. The drill is very compact, sits nicely in your hand, and is very much appreciated when you are up the mast, or in a tight space with your feet in the air. Oh, and the same battery fits the other units I bought as part of my kit - a really nice jigsaw, a multitool, a 'Dremmel style' tool, and an LED torch.

The 10.8V battery fits up inside the handle so you don't get the large protruding battery block that you do with most others. With all of those tools, I have five batteries, so never an issue with running out of charged batteries, and dropping on in the charger, it is generally charged in 25 minutes or less.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 20:02   #63

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch
Best cordless tools for sailboats

Although this arctic mister is not made by ryobi it uses ryobis one+ batteries. This thing is pretty nice when the wind dies in the tropics in the middle of a long passage. I was definitely sold. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1479009761.559894.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	135996
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 21:30   #64

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis, 34

Makita 18V in my locker. Among the usual attachments I've found my angle driving bit vey useful in tight spaces.
capblasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 04:53   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Tool Brands: Who Owns What?

Tool Brands: Who Owns What? A Guide to Corporate Affiliations

Manufacturers - Tools In Action - Power Tools and Gear

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 05:08   #66

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Gord - That is indeed interesting. Thanks for the info.
Old 13-11-2016, 05:42   #67

Boat: Triswood 35, "L'interdit"

I only have a 10.8V Bosch PRO with light. The rest goes with 240VAC by an inverter... ⛵
Vortec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 06:28   #68

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Go cheap and go light.
I have rebuilt 3 houses in the last 10 years. I've owned Milwaukee, Dewalt, craftsman, and Makita. Never underestimate what the fellas have said about battery packs. It is the key. Let me say it one more time " it is the key ". They are all good drills. The battery is what makes the difference.

Get one that has a light is important for me. Another tool that I use a lot is my Dremel Multitool. That plunge cutter and other attachments can do things nothing else can. Also find away to keep your electrical tools bagged airtight. I like to put a little spray lube like wD-40 on the chuck. I lightly coat many of my hand tools.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 06:39   #69

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Milwaukee 0721-21 28V Cordless M28 Lithium-Ion 1/2 in. with a Winch Bit is the only way to go for the wify to take you up the mast.

My wife used one for 7 years to get me up the mast. They work great.
You do need 2 batteries.
Has anyone tried to reduce the load at the winch by using a second halyard to create a pulley system that makes the operation lighter? I haven't. Just thinking that I might try that approach if the load at the winch is too high.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 07:35   #70

I have a Ryobi one+ drill/driver onboard. Can't say I've worked it very hard but so far so good. Got it on sale with two batteries, cheap enough that I won't be too upset if I drop it overboard.
When it comes to spring and fall work on the hard I prefer AC powered tools.
I have been thiinking about getting a one+ impact driver, just not sure I'd use it enough.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 08:49   #71

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I just finished reassembling the floor boards for my Skiff. Ryobi 18 volt 4 AH battery bought in 12/2010 ran 127 screws on one charge with power left. Below is a photo of my collection. The yard blower and chain saw are out of the frame. The Dewalt nailer is off to the left. The dust buster and yard blower are the only ones I'm disappointed in. The LI batteries are amazing.
The dustbuster is poor, I agree. However, I like the blower a lot. So does the wife, who is the typical operator of the tool. The chainsaw is useful, but slow.

The spotlight is great for docking/mooring at night.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 08:58   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

[QUOTE=jeepbluetj;2256877]The dustbuster is poor, I agree. However, I like the blower a lot. So does the wife, who is the typical operator of the tool. The chainsaw is useful, but slow.

The spotlight is great for docking/mooring at night.[/QUOTEi

I agree. That spotlight is very powerful.
Old 13-11-2016, 12:50   #73

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

PatPrice,

You won't be able to source the Milwaukee right angle drill motor here in Oz, nor parts, it will have to come out of the U.S. And the bugger and its batteries are heavy. It turns any winch it is applied to into a power winch, and it is quicker for getting Jim aloft, than leading the snatch blocks and lines to use the anchor windlass, which is what we used to do. You will need a spare retaining screws for the chuck for when it's in reverse. We are pretty careful with tools, and needed to get a replacement, 'cause we broke one, and someone was kind enough to send us one out of the States after we struck out in Queensland.

Jim got one, and I am able to manage it fine at anchor or in a marina, but in a seaway, it is a bit of struggle.

Ann
Old 13-11-2016, 13:29   #74

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
PatPrice,

Jim got one, and I am able to manage it fine at anchor or in a marina, but in a seaway, it is a bit of struggle.

Ann
The Winchrite is a fair bit lighter so would likely be easier to handle.
Old 13-11-2016, 13:34   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Best cordless tools for sailboats

The Ultimate cranked is a little lighter as it replaces the chuck, you keep the chuck so you can use it as a drill.
It also solves the reverse breaking off the left hand screw Allen bolt problem as you drill a hole into the threaded end of the angle adapter and a set screw screws into this hole.
Call or email them, they will likely send you the whole kit.
I have no idea about import taxes though.

http://www.thecranker.com
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat