Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2016, 18:45   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Best cordless tools for sailboats

I started buying Ryobi 18 volt tools many years ago. For me they are a best value. They also have the widest selection of tools. At this time of year they package two of the biggest batteries for $99.00. I got tired of waiting for Ryobi to make a battery powered framing nailer so I bought a Dewalt. I built 32 feet of fence with it a few weeks ago. It was flawless driving 3" nails.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the brands mentioned here.
Old 11-11-2016, 19:52   #17

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Not really the point, but the best three cordless tools available;

jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 20:28   #18

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Do you guys feel better knowing that in OZ, at todays exchange rate, the best price for a Makita 18v 4Ah lithium battery (1 battery only, no drill) is USD $104.
Thats economies of scale for ya' .
So when I drop my 1/2" makita and battery into the deep blue tool box I've gurgled USD $205.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 21:31   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Have settled on exclisively Milwaukee tools. Mostly 12v using screwdriver, hacksaw, impact wrench, and vacuum. Have an 18v fuel drill that will run all day. Have worked the hell out of the screw drivers and impact wrench and haven't been able to bust them. With battery powered tools, it helps to settle on one brand so the batteries are interchangable.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 22:31   #20

Boat: Freydis 49

Bosch professional 10.8V, small, powerfull and great quality, love using them.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:17   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooSailor View Post
I like Makita tools too, but I also like RIDGID from Home Depot. Well built, rugged, but what attracts me is a lifetime warranty, including batteries, free replacement for life. That is important for me, as I had to replace Makita's batts twice, at @ $70 a piece (I need a pair) and my current ones are on their last leg.
mmmmmm Can I bring a so so batt that won't charge to HD and walk out with a new one? Or do I have to deal w/ RIGID?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:21   #22

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacey16 View Post
Bosch professional 10.8V, small, powerfull and great quality, love using them.
Yup, got some of them, few drills, impact wrench, jig and sabre saw and a multicutter. True not as powerfull as higher voltage tools but quite good still especially for small jobs. One container box for all of them so easy to have them anywhere I go. For serious work I use corded Makitas.

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:39   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

After many years in the industry (and many techs breaking and losing tools)...

For professional work (NOT CRUISING) Fein and Snap-On (best of the best)
For great tools: Milwaukee and Makita
For cruising tools Ryobi; cheap, well enough made, universal batteries, and easy to have replaced (house brand of big box stores); owned by the same company that makes Craftsman, Milwaukee, Ridgid, and others

Everyone has their favorites but this is our experience.
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:45   #24

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

I prefer the Milwaukee cordless. We us Makita at the office and have had many battery problems. Nice drills but they don't like deep discharges, which employees will do. The Makita batteries are very expensive.

I have used and abused my Milwaukee tools and over the last three years in my re-fit, and every time the Malita's go down they, (my shop guys), come begging for the Milwaukee.

I have had to change the brush set on both manufacturer's units. So they obviously get used a lot. Other than Makita's battery issue, both are very good quality units.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:48   #25

Boat: L42

I have owned and managed to break most brands. I now use the DeWalt 20V and its by far the best I've ever used. The power is easily capable of doing anything you need. I have used a 4 inch hole saw to drill thru stucco with no problems. the Angle grinder uses power the fastest, but the rest of the tools last forever between charges. You can get 2 - three Amp-Hour batteries from Amazon for $99.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCB200...0v+max+battery

Just be sure to get the Max version of the tools with the metal transmission.

Also the impact driver is REALLY fast and powerful so for running small screws I use the 9.6 volt screwdriver. Its Industrial Quality and I have used one of them for almost 20 years. It can be easily switched between angled and straight and when you let go of the trigger it locks so you can finish tightening by hand. It has great very low speed control and is perfect for small long winded screws. I will never be without one again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81is9BXe6AL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	365.0 KB
ID:	135934   Click image for larger version

Name:	71rwtxozmmL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	135935  

Name:	71dSqxWSTqL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	135936   Click image for larger version

Name:	81jVF4uN2hL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	135937  

Name:	717i38zdmGL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	135938  
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:01   #26

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

I practically built my boat using Craftsman 19.5 volt tools. I have a circular saw, reciprocating saw, 1/2" drill, 3/8" angle drill, jigsaw, angle grinder, vacuum cleaner and flashlight. I ditched the NiCad batteries early on and got lithiums. I have cut miles of plywood and used up to 5" hole saws with this rig. No matter what brand you decide on I would certainly go at least 18 volts if you are doing anything but drilling holes.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:14   #27

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I've been using pro grade tools for years, but the need for 18v or 24v tools on a boat is questionable. The trade off in size and heft isn't worth it IMHO. The 12v lithium tools have plenty of torque for most jobs, and if you're going to do a massive job such as sanding your bottom, you're better off using corded tools.

Standardized on the Milwaukee M12 line when it came out. No sure how many years ago but I've yet to have a battery or tool fail and the newer brushless Fuel motors are incredible. The quality and precision is very good. The 120vac charger works just fine on my boat's puny 300w inverter, and recharges a dead battery in minutes (I don't know how long, but less than an hour). Standardization makes it easy to always have a charged spare battery in reserve.

I have a duplicate set of tools at home and on the boat. I always keep the drill, rotary tool and vacuum in both, but move the others around as needed. Altogether I own:
Drill-drivers (3)
Rotary tools (2)
Portable vacuums (2) (great for quick clean up in the cockpit or galley, for sand, dust, crumbs, etc.)
Impact driver
Electric socket wrench driver
Multi tool / detail sander
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:47   #28

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
...So when I drop my 1/2" makita and battery into the deep blue tool box I've gurgled USD $205.
We've discovered over the years that irrespective of the brand name, they all sink at the same rate; hence we carry/use/replace cheap own-brand tools and are happy that they'll do any odd-job on the move but would have to be replaced with something more robust in the unlikely even that we ever wanted to build a new boat.

I would though put in a plug for buying an 18V power-drill rather than 12V or even worse the <12V lithium ones, though for a different reason to those previously advance; as with any/all my good ideas, it was given/stolen and is not my own:
When our very first 18V drill's batteries had died (a quick aside regarding replacement batteries, just buy two complete drills, it's far cheaper/easier than trying to source a spare battery for a budget/own-brand model) - I was throwing it into a skip when another yachty advised that it'd still work if I connected it directly to the boat's 12V system. I retrieved the drill, tried it and discovered that not only did it work, but the reduced rotation speed made it brilliant for drilling stainless steel! We have replaced that drill (I think it's a Walmart $20-special that we've got aboard now) but I still have the power lead (a couple of crocodile clips and a two core cable that'll reach the bow or masthead) and couple it up instead of the unit's own battery for drilling stainless; we've used it on three different drills and a couple of opened-up female-spade connectors has securely attached directly to the drill's battery pins on them all.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:29   #29

It's all about the batteries really. I've had expensive and had cheap. I now buy cheap. They all seem to fail within about 3 years and it's often more money for a battery than new set. Mostly because they change battery designs regularly so you have to re buy.
Had 2 Makita sets and will never buy Makita again. My $39 Ryobi long outlasted either Makita.
I would never leave without a real corded 3/8 drill. Battery operated just wont get thru a big job, and you'll spend all day charging instead of getting your job complete. Get a corded small disc grinder too.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:46   #30

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

DeWalt exclusively. Used them exclusively on land and saw no reason to change.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat