Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2016, 06:17   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Best cellphone for sailing

Anymore nothing is waterproof, I believe it has to do with guarantees.
My diving watch isn't waterproof, but water resistant to something insane like 300 meters or so, but if they called it waterproof then if it ever got water in it, they would have to replace it, being water resistant, they don't.
I know this as I had to pay to have it repaired when it failed to resist the water on a 40 foot deep dive
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 06:21   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm waiting for this to become available for the Iphone 6S

iPhone Dive Computer | Scuba Diving iPhone Case, Dive Log
Old 27-07-2016, 06:33   #18

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Anymore nothing is waterproof, I believe it has to do with guarantees.
My diving watch isn't waterproof, but water resistant to something insane like 300 meters or so, but if they called it waterproof then if it ever got water in it, they would have to replace it, being water resistant, they don't.
I know this as I had to pay to have it repaired when it failed to resist the water on a 40 foot deep dive
Yeah, unless it is actually certified to IP standards then terms like "waterproof" etc are just marketing speak. I always look for their actual certification, if none then I assume its BS.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 06:36   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yeah, unless it is actually certified to IP standards then terms like "waterproof" etc are just marketing speak. I always look for their actual certification, if none then I assume its BS.
Sony Xperia certified IP68.

But even a weak attempt at waterproofing is likely to be far better than normal phones. One splash on an IPhone and it's history. Apple even put a pad on the inside of the case which shows if there was ever any slight amount of moisture in there, so that they can void the warranty
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 06:41   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Apple even put a pad on the inside of the case which shows if there was ever any slight amount of moisture in there, so that they can void the warranty

I think that is real common for all makes, and I don't blame them, I think they should, keeps the rest of us from paying
Old 27-07-2016, 07:54   #21

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Xperia has these indicator patches as well on each flap.

http://ladyrover.jimdo.com/photo-log...hannel-beyond/
Old 27-07-2016, 08:30   #22

Boat: Hylas 54

My opinion is the best phone is any that is Using T mobiles plan that allows unlimited data and txt in 140+ countries. Perfect for weather and staying in touch without breaking the bank and when satellite is not needed.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 08:37   #23

We live aboard in the Virgins but also do some cruising each season....We carry both Iphone ans Samsung Galaxy however if I were buying a new smart phone I would definitely buy a double SIM phone. While sailing the islands the usable service change so often that a double SIM really comes in handy.
BTW, you can reasonable get water proof cases for all the major brands of phone on EBAY.....don't sail without one.
svinvictus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 08:53   #24

Boat: TBC

I was looking for a phone that'll stand all the knocks and soaking when I found these;
http://http://www.mantistech.co.uk/ruggex-F6
So far I'm happy with it. It's really loud so if it's down below you can hear it.
The only downside I've found so far is that the extra recessed headphone socket which requires a long reach Jack plug.
FilBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 09:27   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmover View Post
So I fried my LGG4 whilst sailing the Grenadines in May. Can't believe that I have lasted this long without one but it is now time to replace. Would an Iphone make the most sense for Sailing the Caribbean because there are so many sailing apps compared to Android?
iPhone with a Lifeproof case - mine also has the built in extra battery. If buying from a third party beware the number of fake Lifeproof cases that are available.
I have found the Lifeproof cases to last about 2 years before requiring replacement.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 09:33   #26

Anything that takes a SIM card and can be unlocked, which is all of them (you may have to get an unofficial operator to unlock it) or have a Verizon phone which comes unlocked. Use a ruggedized case - not only waterproofs but provides substantial drop and bang protection.

Not sure what apps folk with i-phones think cannot be obtained for Android. I have at least three different navigation apps which I am trying on my tablet - frankly the screen on a phone is too small for navigation use except in an emergency Remember the Whitbread crew who ran aground in the middle of the Indian Ocean because the were operating at too low a resolution (zoom). Now put that on a four inch screen!

There are lots of apps several of which use NOAA charts which are free on line and zoom to the equivalent of a full printed local chart.
Lots of other sailing apps as well. Just dig around the Google store a bit.
Local SIM cards will always be cheaper than using the 'domestic' one outside of the country of sale and are pretty cheap anywhere except in the USA.

Wherever there is wifi, use that and skype or similar - it's free!!
rodgoult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 10:03   #27

Boat: 1996 49' Krogen Express

Lifeproof cases for IPhones can also have a built in battery back up that doubles the battery time. Not a bad combination for boating. Plus, I really feel the abundance of nautical apps available not only for Iphone but also for Ipad and Ipad mini is amazing. Guess I'm an Iphone guy here.
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 10:29   #28

Boat: Leopard 40

We have 2 iPhones and an Android. One iPhone and the Android are unlocked, which is what you really want.

We've been cruising for almost 2 years, mostly in the Caribbean and the east coast. We use them for hotspot connections and to call marinas and repaire shops that aren't monitoring the VHF, such as when our windless broke on our way to St Maarten. We also use them to keep in touch with our family.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 12:44   #29

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Seriously, you think you are going to use a cell phone as a backup for navigation?
Ever hearvof putting all your eggs in a basket?

Buy the cheapest unlocked brick cell phone you can find and buy the chips for each island as you head south. Go onto Amazon and buy a Kindle Fire HD and save a ton of money and headaches. You'll end up with phone that drowns just like a smartphone at a fraction of the replacement cost and a decent sized screen on the Kindle to use as a backup for your chartplotter. I have lost count of the number of cracked screens, bad chargers/cables and drowned smartphones I've seen down here in the Eastern Caribbean. Amazingly, people will pay almost four times what I pay for a brick phone for a waterproof housing for a smartphone. Heck, the baggie I carry my brick phone in is a recycled luncheon meat package.

Like the skipper who has never dragged anchor, the smartphone user who hasn't broken or drowned his phone down here is living on borrowed time.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 12:53   #30
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlespeed View Post
Seriously, you think you are going to use a cell phone as a backup for navigation?
Ever hearvof putting all your eggs in a basket?

Buy the cheapest unlocked brick cell phone you can find and buy the chips for each island as you head south. Go onto Amazon and buy a Kindle Fire HD and save a ton of money and headaches. You'll end up with phone that drowns just like a smartphone at a fraction of the replacement cost and a decent sized screen on the Kindle to use as a backup for your chartplotter. I have lost count of the number of cracked screens, bad chargers/cables and drowned smartphones I've seen down here in the Eastern Caribbean. Amazingly, people will pay almost four times what I pay for a brick phone for a waterproof housing for a smartphone. Heck, the baggie I carry my brick phone in is a recycled luncheon meat package.

Like the skipper who has never dragged anchor, the smartphone user who hasn't broken or drowned his phone down here is living on borrowed time.
Seriously...

Yes, I used an ipad along with an iPhone 6 enclosed in Lifeproof cases with INavx installed to navigate all the way from the UK, across the Med twice and around Italy. It works just like an ipad using the same app. Flawless, and have been using only ipads for navigation for over six years.

Try not to be so careless with your mobile phones.

And BTW.... I also use the iPhone to navigate all the roads in Europe. Try that with your chartplotter sometime, and let us know how that works out.

No lucheon meat bag required.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	128548  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phone, sail, sailing