Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2022, 14:18   #16

Re: Best 34-50' Single Person Sailboat For Blue Water & Island Hopping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Only Unicorns I'm aware of were 18ft beach cats built in the 60's/70's..
There was actually a 40' series. I don't know how many actually where built. High end models. The little beach runners were the other ones.

And your started a llitany of unicorn comments now. When they don't know about the other thread we've been taking in. Thanks, Buddy!
PushingThePen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 14:20   #17

A Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37' would fit your needs.

But, without knowing budget, this is just a guess.
Wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 14:34   #18

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

OP mentioned a budget of $50k, which can buy one of many capable boats, but realistically, at that budget, with your plans, you might be more limited than you think. Sure, create a list of "ideal" boats from people who have actually sailed them, but I think you're really going to want to make a decision based on the boat's condition and equipment (assuming it meets some of your more basic requirements, ie. being capable of blue water passages).
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 14:55   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe10 View Post

Finally, someone giving me a real boat to look at. Thanks!

Under $50K. I can get all sorts of boats for all sorts of budgets. It's just figuring out the boat first. Example: Picked up $60K motoryacht for free. Picked up 2 sailboats (a 26' Catalina & 28' Islander for $375). Just have to know how and where to be. Budget is an extreme sliding scale for boats.

Why do you like the boat? What do you dislike? What experiences did you have on one?
Old 18-05-2022, 14:57   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
OP mentioned a budget of $50k, which can buy one of many capable boats, but realistically, at that budget, with your plans, you might be more limited than you think. Sure, create a list of "ideal" boats from people who have actually sailed them, but I think you're really going to want to make a decision based on the boat's condition and equipment (assuming it meets some of your more basic requirements, ie. being capable of blue water passages).
Yes, I'm aware of that. I'm just trying to get some input from those with actual experience in the conditions and boats. Why they liked it disliked certain ones.

So far I've only had 2 people mention an actual boat and everyone else is saying the same thing about figuring it out. Not very helpful.

The limitations of certain boats is why I'm asking for this with experience in the conditions to give the feedback.
Old 18-05-2022, 15:13   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You know, this really depends on what you like, not so much on what the people who have gone before you have chosen: consider the choices of the Pardeys, the Hiscocks, the Roths, and CF's own <wingssail>, for instance. (Jim's and my history prior to joining CF is listed in our profiles.)

You want a stable, open, berths for two, strongly built sailboat under $50,000. Our first offshore cruising boat was a retired race boat (too heavily built to be competitive), a Palmer Johnson Standfast 36, they also made a 40. It worked well at sea, and sailed well in light airs. Blew away a brand new Passport 40 over the time of a couple of hours. The Passports had some build problems, but were lovely looking. Ours had a flush deck, super for working on, but one had to go out the companionway to see what was going on outside. We lived aboard and cruised her for 18 yrs. Known downside is that they needed a floor to support the aft end of the keel, and after many groundings without that floor, we had to do a serious repair. She was a masthead sloop, inline spreaders, and we added a Solent stay to her. She came with lots of sails! Not many of us really need a heavy 150. We did overload her, and if there often will be two of you, perhaps 40 ft. is a better length.

Our subsequent boat is a 46 foot modern timber composite construction, strip plank western red cedar, covered in and out with epoxy and glass, built by a shipwright and his wife for their own use. Also a fin keel, skeg hung rudder. Two crash bulkheads forward, one astern. Displacement laden and with fuel and water is about 12 tonnes. 7/8 fractional rig, swept back spreaders, also solent rig. We have furlers on both headstays. Said furlers have a lot of windage, so she yaws at anchor. She's fine forward, and wide astern, which limits the tendency to pitch. The boat has 3 cabins, the kid cabin (the shed), with 2 singles, the guest cabin (a double) and the V-berth. She is stable enough that we sleep forward when sailing downwind. She has sea berths in the saloon, as well, which we use on the wind. Her best day's run for us has been 200 n. mi. She will be 32 years old since launching, this August. We've lived aboard her for 19 yrs.

Our list was of things we did not want: no split rigs; no full keels; no center cockpits; no spade rudders; no saildrives; no Taiwan built boats; no liner built boats;....simplicity and sturdiness, as well as good looks, and good light air performance.

Now you see what I meant. Our choices were highly individual, meant to last a long time, and we wanted enough room for kids and grandkids to visit. [We discovered they mostly didn't--oops!] Our present boat would be way outside your preferred price range (even at her age), but you might find one of the Standfast 36's around. Of the ~ 14 built, 8 circumnavigated; and of the 40's, one was dropped from a cradle in San Diego, and was sailable after, without any repairs required. That's pretty darn bulletproof. Since you've had lots of experience with boats, I think you need to get out there and look at boats that are available in your price range. Maybe you'll find an appropriate one-off, but as someone above said, eventually, it will come down to the best 50 k boat you can find, and then you'll learn to love her. I you are committed to the price range, then I'd be looking at the 34-37or8 ft. range--you'll probably get better quality. Do look for KISS: your money will go further. (my prejudices are showing here.)

Ann
Old 18-05-2022, 15:15   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe10 View Post

Great recommendation! Like the 6'3" headroom, especially since I'm 6'2"!

Definitely in the solo operator size.

Average price is pretty up there, but I'm sure I could find one.

Thanks!
Old 18-05-2022, 15:28   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
You know, this really depends on what you like, not so much on what the people who have gone before you have chosen: consider the choices of the Pardeys, the Hiscocks, the Roths, and CF's own <wingssail>, for instance. (Jim's and my history prior to joining CF is listed in our profiles.)

You want a stable, open, berths for two, strongly built sailboat under $50,000. Our first offshore cruising boat was a retired race boat (too heavily built to be competitive), a Palmer Johnson Standfast 36, they also made a 40. It worked well at sea, and sailed well in light airs. Blew away a brand new Passport 40 over the time of a couple of hours. The Passports had some build problems, but were lovely looking. Ours had a flush deck, super for working on, but one had to go out the companionway to see what was going on outside. We lived aboard and cruised her for 18 yrs. Known downside is that they needed a floor to support the aft end of the keel, and after many groundings without that floor, we had to do a serious repair. She was a masthead sloop, inline spreaders, and we added a Solent stay to her. She came with lots of sails! Not many of us really need a heavy 150. We did overload her, and if there often will be two of you, perhaps 40 ft. is a better length.

Our subsequent boat is a 46 foot modern timber composite construction, strip plank western red cedar, covered in and out with epoxy and glass, built by a shipwright and his wife for their own use. Also a fin keel, skeg hung rudder. Two crash bulkheads forward, one astern. Displacement laden and with fuel and water is about 12 tonnes. 7/8 fractional rig, swept back spreaders, also solent rig. We have furlers on both headstays. Said furlers have a lot of windage, so she yaws at anchor. She's fine forward, and wide astern, which limits the tendency to pitch. The boat has 3 cabins, the kid cabin (the shed), with 2 singles, the guest cabin (a double) and the V-berth. She is stable enough that we sleep forward when sailing downwind. She has sea berths in the saloon, as well, which we use on the wind. Her best day's run for us has been 200 n. mi. She will be 32 years old since launching, this August. We've lived aboard her for 19 yrs.

Our list was of things we did not want: no split rigs; no full keels; no center cockpits; no spade rudders; no saildrives; no Taiwan built boats; no liner built boats;....simplicity and sturdiness, as well as good looks, and good light air performance.

Now you see what I meant. Our choices were highly individual, meant to last a long time, and we wanted enough room for kids and grandkids to visit. [We discovered they mostly didn't--oops!] Our present boat would be way outside your preferred price range (even at her age), but you might find one of the Standfast 36's around. Of the ~ 14 built, 8 circumnavigated; and of the 40's, one was dropped from a cradle in San Diego, and was sailable after, without any repairs required. That's pretty darn bulletproof. Since you've had lots of experience with boats, I think you need to get out there and look at boats that are available in your price range. Maybe you'll find an appropriate one-off, but as someone above said, eventually, it will come down to the best 50 k boat you can find, and then you'll learn to love her. I you are committed to the price range, then I'd be looking at the 34-37or8 ft. range--you'll probably get better quality. Do look for KISS: your money will go further. (my prejudices are showing here.)

Ann
Thanks for the solid recommendations and thoughts on the boats.

I don't mind going cheaper for the initial bones and adding to her over time. But the space, easy of sailing solo, storage and guest quarters are pretty important in the decision. I'll be doing a lot of time away from port, so I'll be adding some custom features for that, along with a hookah dive system to the setup. That way I don't have to keep refilling tanks.

A walkable deck is nice. Generally usable is great! Comfortable cockpit with wheel is crucial. Back can't handle the stick anymore. Especially on the longer runs.

Planning on trying out several boats before I decide on a single. Just getting some input from the real people living the life, not just talking about it.

I'm picking up a little Lido 14' tomorrow just to ram around the coast a bit. Hit Catalina and the likes. Practice my into the wind runs up the coast. Easy trailer toy for getting my sea legs back. I've a few boats to fix up and flip into something larger, before I go to the actual one I'm going to take on this trip. Probably pick up a 36' or under for some coastal runs, but after that it'll be the real boat.
Old 18-05-2022, 15:40   #24

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushingThePen View Post
Planning on trying out several boats before I decide on a single.
I'm curious to see how successful you are at this.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 15:48   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
I'm curious to see how successful you are at this.
Having had boats for a long time, along with a marine service, I know a lot of people with boats. The reason I'm not asking them is that most are dock pirates, rather than actually out on the water for any length of time. Many have said I can borrow their boats. Just want to start narrowing it down before I take anyone up on it.

Planning to go out as crew with several others as well. Get the sea legs back.
Old 18-05-2022, 15:51   #26

Under $50k for much of that size range is probably unrealistic unless you are really into working on boats.
For two separate decent size cabins, I think you are in the 40ft range.
Of course there may be exceptions, but on boats, everything you get... you pay for somewhere else.
For two separate cabins AND two adjacent heads you are likely in the 45 - 50 range.
From my experience at age 55-60 on a 47 footer, it was a bit too much for one person on a bad day. Fine just normal sailing. With self tailing multispeed winches, a two handed winch handle, and with a 115% genoa, I could not move the winch in rough weather at times. I'm only 160 lbs though. You do learn to work around those things, but depending on your age and physical condition, it's something to keep in mind.

Starting on the West Coast can be much different than starting on the East Coast. I have done both. The East allows you to make hops, learn your boat, what works and what doesn't and have a good time. Florida to the Bahamas is a day sail. Most of the way to Trinidad through the islands is the same with maybe 3 overnighters. By the time you are done with that you will know if you like it, how to modify the boat stuff to what you really want, and be ready.

Bottom line I think you probably need a 35-36 ft boat with two cabins and compromise with one head etc, especially in a $50k budget.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 16:04   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Under $50k for much of that size range is probably unrealistic unless you are really into working on boats.
For two separate decent size cabins, I think you are in the 40ft range.
Of course there may be exceptions, but on boats, everything you get... you pay for somewhere else.
For two separate cabins AND two adjacent heads you are likely in the 45 - 50 range.
From my experience at age 55-60 on a 47 footer, it was a bit too much for one person on a bad day. Fine just normal sailing. With self tailing multispeed winches, a two handed winch handle, and with a 115% genoa, I could not move the winch in rough weather at times. I'm only 160 lbs though. You do learn to work around those things, but depending on your age and physical condition, it's something to keep in mind.

Starting on the West Coast can be much different than starting on the East Coast. I have done both. The East allows you to make hops, learn your boat, what works and what doesn't and have a good time. Florida to the Bahamas is a day sail. Most of the way to Trinidad through the islands is the same with maybe 3 overnighters. By the time you are done with that you will know if you like it, how to modify the boat stuff to what you really want, and be ready.

Bottom line I think you probably need a 35-36 ft boat with two cabins and compromise with one head etc, especially in a $50k budget.
Now THAT is some solid, clear, experience driven advice!

Yes, coastal running on the East and West coast are very different. Southern California is fine for knocking off the rust, but I'm really not looking forward to the Mexico through the Canal run, except for a life experience alone.

Being 50+ myself, I can appreciate the smaller. Was looking at a Catalina 36' but the Mark 2 is challenging to come by under budget and I've heard it's not really the best for me than a day or two in the deep. Fine for the islands, but that's about it.

I figured that pretty much anything over about 42' is going to have to have some helper toys added. Still considering that range though for the storage, open cabin space and stability in deep water.

I'm fine with a single head. That's not a major issue by any means. Decent storage is more important, with wanting to stay out of port more than dock surf. Planning to do a lot of diving and fishing, so I'm looking at those particular challenges as well.

Progressively I'll be looking at dingy or raft, open deck or restrictive, and the list goes on. This is just getting the first stages of solid input, so I can start figuring out the various paths I can take to get where I need to be.

Even thought about getting something smaller, setting out, then upgrading along the way... But changed my mind. Rather have everything generally locked down and seaworthy, knowing I'll need to add some bells and whistles along the way. Rather continue to put money in one I'm going to keep, rather than one I'm going to be flipping in a few months.
Old 18-05-2022, 16:13   #28

Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 16:15   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
You found it! Perfect!
Old 18-05-2022, 16:16   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushingThePen View Post
You found it! Perfect!

A touch of pressure-washing and she's good to go.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, boat, sail, sailboat, single, water