Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2022, 18:50   #1

Best 34-50' Single Person Sailboat For Blue Water & Island Hopping!

I'm looking for suggestions on the best sailboat for Blue Water and Island Hopping in combination. Not one or the other. Single person operation, but comfortable accommodations for 2 or more people sleeping separately.

Thinking 34-50' range as the maximum of both ends of the scale. Under $50K average base model sailboat. Wheel operated, not hand rudder for medical issues.

Keywords would include: Comfortable, stable, easy to sail, spacious, roomy, not claustrophobic, great storage, agile, good in reefs and shallows.

Any suggestions should include: Why you recommend it. What you like and dislike about it. What you, or someone you know directly, has had as an experience with it. Year and model. Not simply listing a brand and a general era.

Direct experience is best. Thanks!
PushingThePen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 19:00   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Best 34-50' Single Person Sailboat For Blue Water & Island Hopping!

The Unicorn 39.. it meets all the qualities you've listed..
No specific year.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 19:20   #3

Re: Best 34-50' Single Person Sailboat For Blue Water & Island Hopping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
No specific year.
Unicorn sounds like a mysterious animal that know one has really seen.

Is that the catamaran? Any referral links would be appreciated.
Old 17-05-2022, 19:23   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
No specific year.
Old 17-05-2022, 20:17   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushingThePen View Post
Unicorn sounds like a mysterious animal that know one has really seen.

Is that the catamaran? Any referral links would be appreciated.
I'm yanking your chain mate..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 17-05-2022, 21:51   #6

Quote:
I'm yanking your chain mate..
Yes, I got that... But did you know there was an actual Catamaran line named Unicorn? Hence why I tossed it back at you. Lol

Worked on one once. I think it was around 46'.
Old 18-05-2022, 02:54   #7

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

For 50K you have a huge number of boats available. There is no way anyone can offer any real world advice on a specific model that will actually help. You'll need to look at what's around you locally and go from there.

For instance, there was a beautiful Pearson 36 near me that we would have loved but it was out of our budget.

If you're truly ready to buy go look and then you could ask us questions about a specific boat and maybe we could give some reasonable opinions.

The best advice I can give is it's all about condition. Condition, condition, condition.

Old 18-05-2022, 12:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
For 50K you have a huge number of boats available. There is no way anyone can offer any real world advice on a specific model that will actually help. You'll need to look at what's around you locally and go from there.

For instance, there was a beautiful Pearson 36 near me that we would have loved but it was out of our budget.

If you're truly ready to buy go look and then you could ask us questions about a specific boat and maybe we could give some reasonable opinions.

The best advice I can give is it's all about condition. Condition, condition, condition.

I'm looking for recommendations based on what people have sailed. I can go anywhere to get the boat I end up picking. I'm just looking for recommendations from people that have actually sailed blue water and islands.
Old 18-05-2022, 12:32   #9

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

I'm not being clear. Let's say I recommend a Pacific Seacraft 40. Or whatever. It doesn't really matter what people like or recommend if there is not one available. Or if the only one available is junk. That's the wrong way to go about it. And besides that, unless they are - or have been - in the same position as you as far as how they sail - i.e. single person - their recommendation still isn't very worthwhile.

You can end up doing a lot of chasing around after some mythical "best boat." The best boat is one you make your own. Buy a good brand and figure out what works for you and do it.

Old 18-05-2022, 12:38   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushingThePen View Post
Yes, I got that... But did you know there was an actual Catamaran line named Unicorn? Hence why I tossed it back at you. Lol

Worked on one once. I think it was around 46'.
Only Unicorns I'm aware of were 18ft beach cats built in the 60's/70's..

Old 18-05-2022, 12:43   #11

You should listen to the advice above. Ideally, you would form your own opinion based on some (even limited) experience. It doesn't take that much to start figuring things out on your own.

Lastly, for the price, size, and wishes you've listed - it would most likely be a unicorn.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 12:45   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Blue water has various definitions and "islands" doesn't tell us much either.
Could you be a little more specific ?
Old 18-05-2022, 14:02   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
I'm not being clear. Let's say I recommend a Pacific Seacraft 40. Or whatever. It doesn't really matter what people like or recommend if there is not one available. Or if the only one available is junk. That's the wrong way to go about it. And besides that, unless they are - or have been - in the same position as you as far as how they sail - i.e. single person - their recommendation still isn't very worthwhile.

You can end up doing a lot of chasing around after some mythical "best boat." The best boat is one you make your own. Buy a good brand and figure out what works for you and do it.

You were clear before on what you meant. However, that's not the point of this posting. I'm looking for responses from people that have actually been in sailboats for how water and islands. Why they liked that particular boat and what they didn't like and it.

I've had dozens of boats. Still have several. However, I'm looking for feedback from people, not simply random comments. Feedback from people that have been and done.
Old 18-05-2022, 14:05   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_SD View Post
You should listen to the advice above. Ideally, you would form your own opinion based on some (even limited) experience. It doesn't take that much to start figuring things out on your own.

Lastly, for the price, size, and wishes you've listed - it would most likely be a unicorn.
That's not helpful. I'm looking for experienced sailors that have been blue water and island hopping, but just people saying go make your own random choice. I prefer to get the feedback and input from those that have done it, not just wished they had gone.

Unlike a lot of people on here, I prefer to do my research before undertaking a year long trip in a boat that wasn't even considered a good choice, by those with real world experience.
Old 18-05-2022, 14:15   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Blue water has various definitions and "islands" doesn't tell us much either.
Could you be a little more specific ?
I'm looking to start in Southern California, or Texas and Eastern Seaboard, cruise down through the Caribbean, across to Australia and Asia, then progressively into the Greek Isles and Italy. Then ram around the Mediterranean for a while.

First leg of the trip is a year, probably just around the Caribbean. Not really interested in spending any real time in the Gulf of Mexico, except to do a shakedown if I get the boat in the East.

Something big enough to be enjoyable, with enough storage to stay away from the ports for a while, as well as a guest quarters. Small enough to be able to be handled by one person. No tiller. Wheel only. My neck and back can't handle a tiller any more.

Not looking to race anyone or anything, but don't want to get stuck in a storm that could have been avoided with some direction changes and a little extra speed of needed.

Yes, that leaves a massive amount of boats to choose from, hence the thoughts on the boats people used for these things. Not just dock sailors.

I've spent a lot of time on the water. Just not in any boats that I'd consider blue water or long term comfortable. Minus a couple friends had or ones way outside the average person's budget. Mine is a little better than some and less than others.

I've the option to get the boat wherever I want in the long run, but I'd like to narrow it down to a selection to look at first. Then take some trial runs, before making a final decision.

Tags
blue water, boat, sail, sailboat, single, water