Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2020, 06:26   #31

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Bernoulli is the Common Denominator....How Many of You Also Fly?

I sold my motorized para wing equipment after buying our boat.
Motorized para gliding is not allowed where I live now and 1 Bernoulli toy is enough to keep me busy in all seasons (no frost here)
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 06:41   #32

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

I’ve been flying for many years doing a bit of everything. CFII fir 20+ years. My small plane is great for hops down to the boat when it’s not where I am. Lots of similarities to sailing as you said. But using the flying Similarities when teaching a flying friend to sail got me this response “But you keep changing the shape of the wing!”
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 19:41   #33

Im a professional pilot. Fly part 91 currently, but formerly 135 and 121. Have 7 type ratings and most certs (CFI, CFII, MEI, IGI, AGI)
tanre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 14:56   #34

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Agree, many sailors are pilots, and many pilots are sailors.

I started out flying, using the GI bill for vietnam vets in 1967, for a career path post discharge. Private, commercial, instrument rating, mulit engine, and CFI Certified flight instructor....career of Flight Instructor, Charter Pilot, Corporate Pilot, and the last 17 years an instructor pilot for Air Combat USA....5 and 6 G dog fights. About 2005, my flying ended, eyes and ears could not pass a flight physical and we moved over to kauai island. But, we still continued our international sailing vacations.

How did sailing come about :

A few years after I began flying, I also got interesting in sailing. Joined a sailing club in Newport Beach, Ca. went thru their very comprehensive lesson program, That wound up instructing , doing charters, deliveries leading flotallas world wide ( bare boating ) Australia, Tahiti, Tonga, Mexico, Calif Coast, BVI, Bahamas, Windwards, Grenadines, French West Idies, ireland and Greece.

Also, It took five years to earn my 720 days of documented sea time to sit for my U.S.C.G Merchant Marine Capt License ( 100 tons).... on my 5 th issue before retiring from sailing for hire. ( renew every 5 years. )

Both careers for 30 plus years, were sort of concurent, flying was first. I loved them both. No longer flying, but we still bare boat charter in the BVI .

Point being, I have met many sailors who then took up flying, and many pilots to took up sailing or power boating. A grand group of people, with plenty of sea stories, and flying tales, and world travels, and enjoy the heck out of life. And a fine and fun bunch they are.

Agree, the breed likes adventure, traveling, people and having a grand time being
active.. They also like a challenge and being professional, and putting in the time and study and work to attain their goals.

Another factor is that some of those we met, thru sailing or flying have become life long friends. Friendship is precious cargo.

Pretty special . Thanks to the OP, for posting this thread. You are right on. And did a great job of stirring up the memories.

Denny
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 15:44   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihuedooley77 View Post
Flight Instructor, Charter Pilot, Corporate Pilot, and the last 17 years an instructor pilot for Air Combat USA
Denny

Denny, then you know its a very small world.

I think our paths may have crossed. Not many people by the name Clemens M. Let me know if that rings a bell? He knew your mx guy in Air Combt and lives in the rough area of your sailing school. Also a pro pilot.
tanre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 20:40   #36

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
PPSEL/MEL, M20F daily driver plus a small flock of trainers in a business.

FWIW perhaps the best short and comprehensive lecture I've seen on what makes lift, encapsulating all the different perspectives. Lecturer is a rocket scientist.
https://youtu.be/QKCK4lJLQHU?t=849

Piloting predates heavier than air flight by centuries.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:38   #37

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Tan,

Excellent, at Air Combat, we had many professional pilots. air lines, charter, and military, naval air, marine air and air force.

To help out a bit, my call sign at Air Combat was "Dooley ", at the sailing club I was was "Denny ". I stopped flying at air combat in 2005, 17 yrs and 2500 missions.. Actually had been with the company since the very beginning. We moved to kauai in 2005 after 17 yrs at Air Combat.

A lot of the time, at air combat, we knew the persons call sign, but not their given names. You might google Air Combat USA, and check out the website, and the type of aircraft...our national head quarters was at fullerton airport, fullerton ca, but we also flew on deployments, nation wide coast to coast, border to border.

The sailing club was in Lido Village, Newport Beach, with about 25 vessels, 30 ft, on up to 55 ft, and slipped in front of the Warehouse Bar and Restaurant.

My description, 5'6", tan, blonde hair, 150 lbs, fit, very friendly, big smile If any of that helps, let me know, and any additional info on your friend.

At fullerton, for air combat, we started out with a hangar and two aircraft on the south side of the filed. Increased our squadron to about 9 aircraft, and had moved over to the north side of the field, with real offices, briefing room, two hangars, etc. Later, ACUSA moved back to the south side, into a huge hangar and offices, and fixed it up to resemble squadron spaces on a carrier. The outside of building wall, we had a huge mural with two SF-260s engaged in a dog fight. ACUSA is now at OC John Wayne Airport, at the Air Museaum.

Any additional descriptions, or information on people or place and time would help the brain box click in.

thank you,

Denny / Dooley
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote