Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2021, 11:15   #31

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Beneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria, Elan, etc. mass production boats that circumnavigate

while not a circumnavigation (yet), we have 5 years of blue water cruising and over 30Knm in our 40 foot Jeaneau.

Lots of Bennies, Jeqanneaus, bavaria, Hansa, dufour etc making the RTW - especially on teh Coconut Milk Run................

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 13:58   #32

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Beneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria, Elan, etc. mass production boats that circumnavigate

Quote:
Our Hunter 410 is highly capable of crossing oceans, and we will soon be doing so aboard her.
Your statement would be more convincing if it ended "and we have now successfully done so several times".

Jim
Old 01-03-2021, 14:30   #33
cruiser

Do any of them have the CE-A rating?
David Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 14:43   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Your statement would be more convincing if it ended "and we have now successfully done so several times".

Jim

Sure it would, although that would be a lie since we have never done it. I do know others who have done so on the same model many times.
apirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 14:48   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ess View Post

Our Hunter 410 does.
apirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 14:57   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Beneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria, Elan, etc. mass production boats that circumnavigate

Quote:
Originally Posted by apirate View Post
Our Hunter is a blue water boat.

SV Agua Azul
Quote:
Ahh.. The made up EU standard regulated by manufacturers..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 14:58   #37
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Well said Boatman61, I used to think as long as it floats, has a pointy bow and you are brave enough anything can sail around the world. Now having followed Yann Quenet even a pointy bow is not a requirement.
For Freshman, a client last week sailed USA, UK, Med, Panama, then home to Australia. Stock standard 34 foot Benny. Boat was still in excellent structural condition after all those miles.
Cheers
https://taveacbaluchon.blogspot.com/
You mean they MIGHT be able to sail around the world.....if they dont fall apart. Most people prefer the safest boat they can afford, and wouldnt take a chance on a flimsy boat. Indeed, I once suggested a boat that had a CE-A rating, the highest the europeans have, and some guy tried tom all it a coastal cruiser!
Old 01-03-2021, 16:07   #38

Quote:
You mean they MIGHT be able to sail around the world.....if they dont fall apart. Most people prefer the safest boat they can afford, and wouldnt take a chance on a flimsy boat. Indeed, I once suggested a boat that had a CE-A rating, the highest the europeans have, and some guy tried tom all it a coastal cruiser!
The Bennie Oceanis is CE-A rated.

DE - What type of boat do you have and how is it rated?

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 17:01   #39
cruiser

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Ahh.. The made up EU standard regulated by manufacturers..
Quite right, we've seen in other threads that some guys dont recognize any standards systems, like the EU ones. And others have suggested they dont, because their own boats wouldn't pass any of them.
Old 01-03-2021, 17:05   #40

Quote:
Quite right, we've seen in other threads that some guys dont recognize any standards systems, like the EU ones. And others have suggested they dont, because their own boats wouldn't pass any of them.
Quoting yourself - that's something you don't see often!

Sounds like CE rating was important to you on your current boat. What boat do you currently own and what is the CE rating? What other boats did you consider? What were the previous boats? Very interested in the specifics of your actual experience. There are many on forums like this that have no experience except reading books. I assume you have some real world experience. Please share

Peter
Old 01-03-2021, 17:45   #41
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Beneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria, Elan, etc. mass production boats that circumnavigate

Quote:
That's only because they don't have the requisite stickers for everything..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 18:13   #42

The challenge is that CE ratings only came about in the late 1990s. Recreational sailboats have been successfully circumnavigating for 40 years by then.

Reliance on CE rating is good for newer yachts from large builders who can afford the process. But that doesn't mean there are not many other boats that are perfecting adequate.

Here is a Riva 44, a CE-A rated yacht. It has 1400hp engines and carries about 350 gals of diesel. Range is less than 200 nms. And yet it is open ocean rated, the highest possible CE rating.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...ma-44-3728622/

There are better ways to qualify a boat than CE rating.

Peter
Old 01-03-2021, 22:07   #43

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
The challenge is that CE ratings only came about in the late 1990s. Recreational sailboats have been successfully circumnavigating for 40 years by then.

Reliance on CE rating is good for newer yachts from large builders who can afford the process. But that doesn't mean there are not many other boats that are perfecting adequate.

Here is a Riva 44, a CE-A rated yacht. It has 1400hp engines and carries about 350 gals of diesel. Range is less than 200 nms. And yet it is open ocean rated, the highest possible CE rating.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...ma-44-3728622/

There are better ways to qualify a boat than CE rating.

Peter
The CE rating don't say whether or not a boat is a good boat to cross ocean in. It does say that the boat is rated to survive open ocean conditions - not if it will be comfortable for an RTW.

Open ocean conidtion can easily occur within a 100 nm of the coast.

Perhaps the CE markings aren't perfect - but at the moment it is the best system there is - lacking others

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:04   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
The CE rating don't say whether or not a boat is a good boat to cross ocean in. It does say that the boat is rated to survive open ocean conditions - not if it will be comfortable for an RTW.

Open ocean conidtion can easily occur within a 100 nm of the coast.

Perhaps the CE markings aren't perfect - but at the moment it is the best system there is - lacking others
I'm fine with rating systems - they are a data point, but they are overemphasized. And while I haven't tried hard, getting a line on what constitutes Class A CE rating is difficult. I'm sure that Riva commuter style boat I linked is a great boat. But there is nothing about it that says it would be safe in 12 foot square chop let alone Force 8 with occasional breaking seas that would down-flood that beautiful cockpit in a single breaker. And yet it is CE A rated (all Rivas are).

My only point is there is likely a disconnect on what fhe standard evaluates and how it is perceived in the market. Given the choice of circumnavigating in a 1999 CE-A rated Beneteau Oceanis and a 1997 HR (unrated as CE ratings were adopted in 1998), I'm guessing vast majority would go with the HR.

Peter
Old 02-03-2021, 03:49   #45

Boat: Catalina 470

I circumnavigated on a Catalina 470. I know a number of skippers that have circumnavigated on Benteaus, Jeanneaus, Barvarias, Dufours etc of varying sizes.

I have seen zero proof of modern production boats having anymore problems or issues than what many here refer to as "Bluewater boats".

Something that I observed while at Fakarava Tuamotus last year was how few "bluewater boats" were there. Mostly production cats and production monos....they must of all got lucky.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bavaria, beneteau, boat, jeanneau