Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2016, 23:00   #1

Boat: Beneteau 473
Belize: Assault and Robbery at Sea

This is another shocking story of cruisers being attacked. It bothers me that the Belize police did not report it to news agencies. It shocks me that onc the police investigated and captured the criminals, one of the crooks got three months! That's it! That's just shocking. The police are denying sexual assault.

http://www.sanpedrosun.com/crime-and...obbery-at-sea/

-Bill
IntoMyHealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:30   #2
cruiser

Re: Belize: Assault and Robbery at Sea

A good article for those who claim guns are unnecessary aboard boats. A friendly smile is all that's required.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:20   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Belize: Assault and Robbery at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoMyHealth View Post
This is another shocking story of cruisers being attacked. It bothers me that the Belize police did not report it to news agencies. It shocks me that onc the police investigated and captured the criminals, one of the crooks got three months! That's it! That's just shocking. The police are denying sexual assault.

Assault and Robbery at Sea - The San Pedro Sun News

-Bill
My understanding from the report they have NOT caught the 'Perps'.. just the 'Fence's'...

As for the knee jerk response... Yeah... Right Quick Draw MacGraw... bet your real fast with the pillow holster... Jeez..!!
If they had boarded with Machette's instead of guns do you think anything would have been different if the yacht crew had had Machette's..
4 hyper tense fit young guys board a boat full of fat middleaged soft city types... snoring their heads of.. resistance would have resulted in a massacre.
One handles each situation according to its needs... there are times the way of the Bamboo is wiser that that of the Oak.. they lived to tell the tale by not resisting..
Unlike the hero behind the keyboard who'd use a Cruise Missile on every passing boat..
Like most Gun Nuts and Fanatic's one cure fits all..
"Blow Em Away..!!'

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:26   #4

Boat: Ohlson 29

I wonder how they got inside.
Was the crew sleeping with the boat open?
Did they somehow manage to break open the boat w/out waking the crew?
Old 08-02-2016, 04:04   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Belize: Assault and Robbery at Sea

Very likely.. many folk do not 'Shut Up Shop'... no air-conditioning and the fore hatch open with a wind scoop.. I don't in many places..
Never have in Europe.. and its just as random a chance here as anywhere else..
However.. its 'Home Turf' and I can analyse pretty fast what I'm up against and how to deal with it..
The S Pacific islands were also relaxed and airy..
Theft.. to much like hard work.. as one local bar owner said to me when I asked him if he'd travelled.. 'Hell no..!! What for..?? I want fruit.. I pluck as I walk home.. I want fish.. I catch it from in front of me.. I want meat.. I saddle my horse, call my dogs and ride into the hills for wild pig and goat.. look around you.. then watch the TV... Why should I travel..?"
Oh.. and the sharks put off swimmers.. same in a lot off Oz.. and the croc's..
Certain parts of the Caribe I do not.. in others I do.. and most definitely if I'm the only boat around in a dodgy area and I'll sleep dressed after a fashion..
I find fighting nude a serious disadvantage..
Situational Awareness...
aka Street Smarts..
Wave Smarts... Whatever..!!

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Very likely.. many folk do not 'Shut Up Shop'... no air-conditioning and the fore hatch open with a wind scoop..
I need fresh air, so I always have the fore hatch open. And if not too cold, I'll leave the boat open.

But I'm having "gates" made (sorry, no idea what to call them) to use so I can close off the boat while still letting in fresh air. Pic here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2012937

I'm not saying they left the boat open, and even if they did: that does NOT make it ok to enter a boat. I just want to make that clear. But when sleeping on land somewhere, we usually close and lock the front door.
I figure it's probably a good idea to do the same on the boat
Old 08-02-2016, 04:49   #7

Boat: Formosa 41

Lizzy Belle,

How does your gate release in the event you need a quick exit?
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:01   #8
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

Very sad. When we were there, there were alot of dinghies stolen in the Drowned Cayes, just off Belize City, but a good hidey hole from northers. Now it seems crimes have become more serious and out at the atolls.

We were robbed in Utila, Bay Islands, Honduras years ago. We weren't aboard at the time. After that we had removeable stainless bars fabricated that allowed us to keep hatches open for air at night, but also let us sleep knowing no one was coming inside - they might shoot us from above, but they weren't getting in the boat.

The bars are removeable - the keys to the locks are on the floorboards below the hatch, not easily accessible from above, but instantly accessible inside. The first fabricator we asked wouldn't make them because as he said "you're more likely to die in a fire when you couldn't get out, than being robbed while cruising".

Here's the link if you want to see the construction - there's another link in the post showing more details: Pros and Cons of Bars on Your Hatches

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:00   #9

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
My understanding from the report they have NOT caught the 'Perps'.. just the 'Fence's'...

As for the knee jerk response... Yeah... Right Quick Draw MacGraw... bet your real fast with the pillow holster... Jeez..!!
If they had boarded with Machette's instead of guns do you think anything would have been different if the yacht crew had had Machette's..
4 hyper tense fit young guys board a boat full of fat middleaged soft city types... snoring their heads of.. resistance would have resulted in a massacre.
One handles each situation according to its needs... there are times the way of the Bamboo is wiser that that of the Oak.. they lived to tell the tale by not resisting..
Unlike the hero behind the keyboard who'd use a Cruise Missile on every passing boat..
Like most Gun Nuts and Fanatic's one cure fits all..
"Blow Em Away..!!'
Spot on mate.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:27   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoMyHealth View Post

http://www.sanpedrosun.com/crime-and...obbery-at-sea/

-Bill
Unfortunate, but fortunately rare in Belize. One other event that I know of.

Pays to be security concious everywhere...unfortunately.

I wouldn't count on much from the Belize PD...their behavior ranges from KeyStone Cops funny to tragically incompetent.

I also wouldn't count on any competent evauluation of a rape victim.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:29   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i cannot make the words better than did boaty.
thankyou my friend. words of reason and sensibility.
**** happens. make sure you are not a part of it.
nothing like bringing a nuke to a fistfight. typical
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:54   #12

Boat: 42 Krogen #61

I am currently in Isla Mujeres anchored in front of the boat that went through this horrible ordeal. I will find out if she is a member of this forum, and let her provide the first hand details if she wants. The boat was locked. This has ended cruising for them. They are enroute to Fl. to sell the boat after 11 years. Very sad, and has my wife and I questioning our trip south. We have met another cruiser here ( first hand experience again) that has warned us against most of Belize, except for Palencia.
Sea Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:57   #13

Boat: 42 Krogen #61

It is very easy to speculate on this and that. It is alao very easy from the safety of your own home to say what you would and would not do. Before leaving on our voyage, I had many scenerios that I thought I was prepared for, but after talking to first hand victims, it is not 1/100 as easy as you think. Those of you that have delt with adrenaline dumps know what I am talking about
Sea Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:57   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
Lizzy Belle,
How does your gate release in the event you need a quick exit?
I have no clue what all the parts are called in English (don't even know in Dutch, haha!) but it takes seconds only. Just in case of a fire or some other emergency. You want to lock people out, not in
Old 08-02-2016, 07:02   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

These are passive IR, so flapping Bimini or whatever won't set on off, it's takes a warm body. Cheap and just give it 12VDC, maybe even the lighter receptacle most have in their cockpit.

Robot Check

I go on the theory that having a bright light shined in your face just as the crook is climbing aboard is a deterrant
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Belize