Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2012, 12:27   #1

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Behind the Mast Furling Systems

I would like to ask a few questions of people who have experience with behind the mast furling systems, for a 47’ luff mainsail on a 15’ boom.
I have used a few different in-mast furling systems, and they all suffer the same difficulty of furling with the sail full, as on a run. Another issue is the necessity to ensure a fairly tight roll, to prevent bunching and to get all the sail inside the tube.
I have never used a behind the mast furler, but it seems to me logical that neither of these problems would occur if the sail is just wound round an open mandrel, similar to a roller furling jib.
So what are the drawbacks—there have to be some—like luff sag, or mast bending under load? I agree they don't look as neat, but I am more interested in functionality than apearance.
I’ve got to make a decision soon, because my masts are down and I need to fit a system to make mainsail handling easier than the lazy bag I now have for sale. See www.schooner-britannia.com.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 12:33   #2

Re: behind the mast furling systems

We have a compromise on in-mast and behind the mast which is an open in-mast furler. MetalMast of Connecticut built the mast and the furler is a Hyde Streamstay. The open face is wider than the furled sail but it is protected from sun and wind by the mast arms. Kinda cool.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 12:34   #3
Eternal Member

Behind-the-mast systems work very well and, as you surmised, have almost none of the problems of the in-mast furlers.

However, you can't use horizontal battens, can't have a big roach, still have weight aloft, etc., etc.

Have you considered in-boom systems, like the LeisureFurl or Schaefer? These have several advantages over both the in-mast and the behind-the-mast furling systems.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 12:48   #4

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Good question, and yes, I've looked at them. Main problems: far too expensive and the massive boom.
Don't need battens or convext roach. The sail is big enough as it is.
I should have also asked: what do users think is the best behind-mast furling model? I guess I could just adapt a jib furler, but does anyone actually make a custom system?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 13:14   #5
Eternal Member

Yes, I believe there are several. I researched them about 8 years ago. The best option I found was simply installing a ProFurl furler behind the mast, with special tangs custom made. I've seen several cruising boats with this setup, and report very good success. However, I finally opted for a LeisureFurl and love it...still! Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 19:48   #6

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Re: Behind the Mast Furling Systems

I am researching this system for a Pearson 424. Anyone here have one installed by Paul, of Omar Sails of Beaufort, NC?
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 20:13   #7

Check out CDI Mainsail furlers.I have been considering one for a while and posted to see if anyone had used them but no replys,so apparently not!They seem well priced but bringing one down here (NZ) without talking to anyone who has tried one has scared me off!!Dave.
bigdog5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 00:32   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

The only person I know who has one absolutely hates it. I don't know which model it is, but it has been nothing but problems since he bought the boat. Even after getting a specialty cut main for it, and rebuilding all the internals.

Personally I just don't see the point. After having sailed 50,000 miles with a in mast furler, we never had a real problem with it, except when the sail got bagged out, and it was time to replace it. On the other hand I wouldn't buy one again. A lazy jack or stack pack I still think is easier, and there is nothing to jam. If something breaks you can always drop it, and it gets the weight lower in the boat. For a lot less money.

In fact for what you save, you can likely buy an electric winch to make jumping the halyard no work as well.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 00:46   #9

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Works OK with me. But it is just a "hobby" for the Coot.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, mast