Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2019, 09:35   #1

Beginner Sailor

I am a total beginner and I would like to buy an inexpensive cruiser boat to eventually sail from Key West to Cancun. What boat would be reccommneded that is sturdy enought for bumpy rides in the gulf?
Plinkity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 12:42   #2

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: Beginner Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinkity View Post
I am a total beginner and I would like to buy an inexpensive cruiser boat to eventually sail from Key West to Cancun. What boat would be reccommneded that is sturdy enought for bumpy rides in the gulf?
There's a book called "20 Small Sailboats that will take you anywhere" (or something like that) - that's a good place to start as it talks a lot about desirable features of a blue water boat and you see the balance and tradeoffs in various designs. Structural sturdiness is preferable, yes, but there are other more relevant considerations: stability, resistance to capsize, keel type and design, rudder mount, small cockpit with bridge deck, wide side decks with tall toe-rails, double lifelines, secure stern pulpit (forget one of those modern open transoms you can fall right off of lol), ample handholds above and below, sea berths, both auto and manual bilge pumps, radar, AIS, U-bolts to secure jacklines, ample storage space ideally with a large place in the bilge for heavy things like canned goods and beer. Solar panel are a must, and make sure there is a ton of ventilation from fans, hatches etc. Try to find a boat with a single sideband radio (SSB) to make getting weather offshore easier. A self-steering windvane, linear drive autopilot, or both. I could go on!

The truth is that most production boats - even the cheapy lake ones - are going to be far tougher in a storm at sea than their crews are! People circumnavigate in 20-30 ft Hunters and Catalinas, not even particularly well equipped, so I wouldn't get too hung up if you don't plan to live aboard or cruise full time.

I have a Tayana 37, and so am a little biased toward Bob Perry's designs - check out the Baba 30 or 33. Not sure your definition of inexpensive would cover one of those. Were I to downsize, I'd probably consider a Hans Christian 33.
weazardofinance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 04:27   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Plinkity.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 05:09   #4

Read "Cruising Boat Basics: Hints, Tips, and Tricks for a Fabulous Life Afloat and Buy, Outfit, and Sail by Fatty Goodlander
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 07:09   #5

Thank you guys. I have been reading and re-reading your posts. Thank you much!!!
Plinkity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 15:14   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

Are you a total beginner to sailing? If so, buy a cheap day sailor and try that out for a season. If sailing suits you, you should be able to sell that boat for only a little less than you bought it and you will know better what you want. (If you have already done that, then ignore post.)
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 15:32   #7

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
What boat would be reccommneded that is sturdy enought for bumpy rides in the gulf?
Inexperienced you say, sturdy you say,............ Boeing..........
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail