Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 16:26   #1

Boat: Looking for a 40+ Sailboat for Family of 4
Bareboat first timer looking for advice.

I, my wife and two kids (9 and 12) want to rent a mono bareboat for the first time in the spring of 2013 somewhere in the VI’s. I have only fresh water experience and only on a Laser and a 23’ (that I grew up sailing with my parents). I do however; want to rent one with a captain that would be willing to teach me and my family as well so that in the future we can rent on our own. I have been doing some research and found many, many outfitters. Does anyone have experience with any companies in the PR or VI areas? We are looking at going sometime in April. Thank you….
SparkyWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 16:35   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Bareboat first timer looking for advice.

I would choose Moorings.com in either Tortola, BVI or in Grenada, West Indies. For a first timer, the BVI is a good choice. Check their website for bare-boat rates with a captain. Allow 10 days of travel, of which 2 days transiting to/from Tortola and a day to familiarize yourself with the boat, the captain and shopping for supplies. Have fun.
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 17:04   #3

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

A 37 ft bare-boat charter with a captain, for 7 days in the BVI would run you around $750 USD/day; this is a ballpark figure for April 2013 schedule. Add about 20%-25% to all quoted prices for miscellaneous fees/expenses. Have fun!
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 17:31   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Depending on how comfortable you are in sailing in general, perhaps you may only need a Captain for a short time, although it seems you may not have any recent experience?

There's a lot of great companies to choose from. I've only used Sunsail and Moorings myself and we now own a boat with Moorings, but we haven't had a single experience that wasn't great. Prices are a little higher than some of the 2nd tier companies though.

Did you have a budget in mind?
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 18:00   #5

I was hoping to have a captain only for about half of the week. I want to keep under $5000. Not included airfare of course.
Old 09-12-2012, 18:01   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

You shouldn't have a problem keeping it under that. Check Sailonline.com for owners time - you can buy time in Moorings/Sunsail and other companies direct from an owner for a discount.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 18:14   #7

Thank you!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 18:50   #8

BVI is Chartering 101, with lots of mooring balls & restaurant options. Moorings has been the high-priced choice, but is likely worth it so you don't get delayed by things like sun-rotted sails tearing & anchor rode twisted in 1000 kinks. Study charts beforehand. I got the Garmin handheld & pre-set routes & waypoints for every likely place we might go by laptop at home before flying. Its good prep, as you will learn the place well - especially if you zoom in to find obstacles that may not show on smaller scale views. Don't be afraid of Anegada if you have studied the charts - just don't simply put a waypoint at the target dock & try to sail straight to it (reefs in the way) - the channel was well marked. If the Last Resort is still operating, see if the donkey is still there - if so, put a carrot in your back pocket & offer it - so it will be ass kissing ass. Enjoy!
websailr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 20:58   #9

I took my family on a bareboat charter in the BVI for the first time last year for Spring Break. I used Pro Valor Charters, which is a small second tier company that takes on older boats. We had a 2005 Beneteau 393 which was well-maintained. The settee cushions could have used new upholstery, but otherwise, I had no complaints about the condition of the boat. The savings were significant compared to the other companies I researched, especially the first tier companies. We are going back next Spring and chartering a catamaran from them. They can provide you a captain, but if you can, I would suggest finding an ASA school and challenging the 101 course and taking at least the 103 (I took a four day 103/104 prior to our charter and this year did the 114 for multihulls). If you do so, you may only need the captain the first day, or not at all.
Have fun!
Q. Helm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:28   #10

Boat: Ocean Alexander
We've used TMM a half dozen times and have been very satisfied. Older boats mostly, but maintained well. If you have a problem they're right on it.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:18   #11
nes

Boat: Island Packet 445

We have chartered through Conch twice, both times were fantastic. Boat a bit older, (about the same vintage as what I sail here). First was a 40 ft. CC Beneteau, 2nd was a 473 Beneteau. Both sailed well, equipment was in good shape, instrumentation was not as good as I would have liked, but a handheld GPS brought from home with a laptop with all the charts helped a lot.
I would recommend them to anyone. Contact them by phone and see what they will require from you before committing your self to having a Capt for an extended period of time.
Some important things to consider in the BVI is where do you want to go and what do you want to see.
I highly recommend the full moon party at Trellis bay:
Full Moon Party Schedule at Trellis Bay in the British Virgin Islands get there early after noon of the day before the party to get a mooring ball. YES it is family friendly, (unlike the one at Bomba's shack). Yes, this is worth scheduling your trip around. Also consider the Leverick Bay Dinghy Poker Run May 27, 2013

Get your Dinghy out and come join us in the excitement of our annual Dinghy Poker Run. Come dressed as your favorite pirate. Start your dinghy engine and live the Golden Age of Piracy through an exciting journey to fight your way with a water gun and collect a card at each location of the magnificent North Sound. This unique event is a localʼs favorite and all money raised goes to the benefit of charity. Complete information available at pokerrunbvi.com.
We did this the last time we were there (2010 and it was a blast, again kid ok).

I suggest that the BVI would be better (lower population/more land) not as crowded ashore, more places to drop anchor/tie up to a mooring ball. More beaches to explore, etc.
nes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat