Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2021, 18:12   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1
Balmar 60 series paired with MC-614 help

Any brilliant minded people able to advise me on my next step?

Problem - my alternator does not come down off of “bulk charging” and over heats.

I’ve been through the display modes. The “short” display mode is programmed correctly and as far as I understand there are no error codes.

I went into advance programming modes and verified my “bulk charging time” is set to 18 minutes.

I’m kind of hoping for a easy answer. I’ve learned a lot messing around with the MC-614. But there is something wrong. The alternator is cranking out 60 plus amps and doesn’t slow down and over heats. The MC-614 stops the charging and the Balmar alternator cools down for a few minutes and then resumes.

I verified the temperature is correct at the alternator with a temp sensor heat gun.

Any thoughts everyone?
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 18:20   #2

Re: Balmar 60 series paired with MC-614 help

Bulk mode will last as long as it needs to. Since the amps are high, It should still be in bulk and sounds like the reg is working fine. The 18 mins is “minimum” bulk time. It may bulk for hours if the battery bank is low.

If it’s overheating turn the belt manager down. Or get more air to it. Though if it’s only 60a it should not be overheating. How big is the alt? Are you measuring 60a on the alt cable? Or 60a net into batteries on a battery monitor . (Which is then unknown amount from alt) May also be a bad alt. Or slipping belt causing heat.

The reg is doing its job and the alt is failing and can’t keep up.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 20:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
Bulk mode will last as long as it needs to. Since the amps are high, It should still be in bulk and sounds like the reg is working fine. The 18 mins is “minimum” bulk time. It may bulk for hours if the battery bank is low.

If it’s overheating turn the belt manager down. Or get more air to it. Though if it’s only 60a it should not be overheating. How big is the alt? Are you measuring 60a on the alt cable? Or 60a net into batteries on a battery monitor . (Which is then unknown amount from alt) May also be a bad alt. Or slipping belt causing heat.

The reg is doing its job and the alt is failing and can’t keep up.
Smac999, thank you for your reply.

The belt manager was set to 6. I changed it to 1, let’s get this alternator overheated and fixed. It’s a serpentine belt six notch belt. It’s also a 120 amp alternator. I am measuring 60 amps plus on net into the battery monitor (I think).

Belt is not slipping

Alternator was tested and produced passing results.

Thanks again Smac

Sam
Old 09-01-2021, 20:11   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Get the alt thermal sensor from Balmar and connect it to the alt
Old 09-01-2021, 20:25   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
Get the alt thermal sensor from Balmar and connect it to the alt

I have a new alt thermal sensor, but didn’t install since my heat gun produced the same results as the MC-614 reading alt temp.

I think the problem for some reason - it will not ramp down from bulk charging when it should after 18 minutes.

Maybe I’m lost and it wouldn’t be the first time!
Old 09-01-2021, 21:11   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Woodbridge View Post
I have a new alt thermal sensor, but didn’t install since my heat gun produced the same results as the MC-614 reading alt temp.

I think the problem for some reason - it will not ramp down from bulk charging when it should after 18 minutes.

It Ramps down when the batteries are full. It says minimum 18mins. It could be hours. Then absorb will continue to put lots of amps in. Your reg is working fine.

Your alt should not be overheating at belt -6. Something is wrong with it. Or your engine room is too small with no air flow.

It will overheat more at -1
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 21:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
It Ramps down when the batteries are full. It says minimum 18mins. It could be hours. Then absorb will continue to put lots of amps in. Your reg is working fine.

Your alt should not be overheating at belt -6. Something is wrong with it. Or your engine room is too small with no air flow.

It will overheat more at -1
Thank you smac999!
Old 09-01-2021, 21:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Woodbridge View Post

Sam,

I suggest re-reading the manual, especially about the timing. While I apologize about not being able to copy & paste from a PDF of the manual, it does say, in summariz-ese, that UNTIL the voltage target is met, it will continue to max the amps, even past the 18 minutes. It says it "keeps checking."

Least that's the way I read my 612 manual. No different than the 614 in that regard.

You could also add a Small Engine Mode switch in parallel with the sensor. Do a search on SEM under my name, I've contributed a lot on that subject over the years.

Why didn't you install the sensor? Read the SEM stuff, it's rather important.

SEM and/or the sensor will reduce output to avoid overheating an alternator without having to reprogram the amp manager.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 21:25   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Sam,

I suggest re-reading the manual, especially about the timing. While I apologize about not being able to copy & paste from a PDF of the manual, it does say, in summariz-ese, that UNTIL the voltage target is met, it will continue to max the amps, even past the 18 minutes. It says it "keeps checking."

Least that's the way I read my 612 manual. No different than the 614 in that regard.

You could also add a Small Engine Mode switch in parallel with the sensor. Do a search on SEM under my name, I've contributed a lot on that subject over the years.

Why didn't you install the sensor? Read the SEM stuff, it's rather important.

SEM and/or the sensor will reduce output to avoid overheating an alternator without having to reprogram the amp manager.
Hmm, Mr Jackson I’ll follow your advice tomorrow morning!

Thank you -Sam
Old 10-01-2021, 09:57   #10

Boat: '77 CAL33

has this setup ever worked as expected??
motretu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 10:33   #11

Boat: Nordic 44

The first thing I would do is watch this detailed how to program a 614. https://marinehowto.com/programming-...age-regulator/

How big is your bank? What is your DOD?
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 10:33   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by motretu View Post
has this setup ever worked as expected??
Thank you Motretu for your reply

This sailboat is new to me. I bought it two months ago and no this setup hasn’t worked right since I’ve owned it from day one.

It’s a 2018 model with 150 engine hours. Charging system is out of warranty.

I’m going to mess around with it again today.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:37   #13

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

My experience is the small case Balmars will overheat charging a depleted battery bank in a typical engine compartment environment. Many years back I added a switch across the 612 temp sensor contacts (small engine mode) and in more recent years I have added a CC temp controller (close at 180 degrees) in parallel with this switch and added a blower to direct some bilge air to the alternator. Things are better but even with the blower during heavy motoring/ charging the temp controller will occasionally switch to the small engine mode and reduce the alternator output by 50%. Such is life, always compromise.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 10:53   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitlaw View Post
The first thing I would do is watch this detailed how to program a 614. https://marinehowto.com/programming-...age-regulator/

How big is your bank? What is your DOD?
Thank you for the reply Pitlaw, my house bank is 400 reserve capacity. They are 8A24M AGM.

I also have one start battery and two bow thruster batteries.

As far as the DOD it varies, but yesterday I had the boat plugged into to shore power with the batteries topped off and still got the alternator hot.

I need to spend more time with time this problem. I was just hoping for a no brainer fix. It’s like I’m chasing ghosts over my lack of knowledge with this problem.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:56   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
My experience is the small case Balmars will overheat charging a depleted battery bank in a typical engine compartment environment. Many years back I added a switch across the 612 temp sensor contacts (small engine mode) and in more recent years I have added a CC temp controller (close at 180 degrees) in parallel with this switch and added a blower to direct some bilge air to the alternator. Things are better but even with the blower during heavy motoring/ charging the temp controller will occasionally switch to the small engine mode and reduce the alternator output by 50%. Such is life, always compromise.

Frankly
Thank you Frankly! I might be doing the same thing.

Tags
balmar