Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2021, 13:46   #1

Bahamas Customs Check-in

Just got back to the Bahamas and did checkin at West End, Old Bahama Bay.

Took well over an hour, since, it turns out, they now have some sort of computerized system that we could have used prior to arrival. Seems it began 1 July.

Without any notice being given, all the paper forms had to be typed into their new system.

No, I do NOT know where the new forms are to be found. They couldn't tell us.

Nor have I the least clue why they'd not alert potential arrivals to this change. Could easily be done, for instance, on the pages accomplishing the health visa.
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 03:29   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Bahamas Customs Check-in

The digital submission of pleasure vessels came into effect in the Islands of the Bahamas as of the February 22nd, 2021. All pleasure vessels will be entered and paid for using the Cruising Permit Module within the Click2Clear system. Bahamas Customs aims to go paperless and cashless in the near future and this process is to facilitate that very same notion.
MORE ➥ https://www.bahamascustoms.gov.bs/vi...ising-permits/

Download Forms ➥ https://www.immigration.gov.bs/permi...ownload-forms/

Inward Declaration & Cruising Permit https://forms.bahamas.gov.bs/documen...%20-%20PAC.pdf
Declaration of Health http://forms.bahamas.gov.bs/document...f%20Health.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:05   #3

Boat: Beneteau 373

Thanks GordMay
Getting ready for my first trip to the Bahamas.

What is this?
"Valid Sanitation Control Exemption/Control Certificate carried on board?"
Is this something a 37 foot sailboat would need?
James M B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:12   #4

Boat: Beneteau 373

From the click to clear website

Please Note:
Individuals only require User Account Logins if they intend to do their own Declarations/Entries on their own behalf. (Bear in mind, this is only for those familiar with Customs Procedures and clearance)
If you use a broker, you do not require a user account. The broker will handle all the work for you.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Users have the option to present their required documents in person at Customs Headquarters in Nassau or any Customs location in the Family Islands.

So if I am not familiar (I'm not, but trying to learn) I should just go there in person the first time?
James M B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:15   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M B View Post
... What is this?
"Valid Sanitation Control Exemption/Control Certificate carried on board?"
Is this something a 37 foot sailboat would need?
I wouldn't think so.
If you've got an approved MSD, why would you need an "exemption"?
The Bahamian Declaration of Health makes no mention of it.
Ship Sanitation Certificate Information
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/marit...anitation.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:25   #6

I cleared in at Bimini in the beginning of last month, June. It was the same paper system as always, no one said anything about online. The only difference was they wanted me to see the Immigration people first.

I would prefer to get it done online and paid for before I arrive.
neworleansrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M B View Post
From the click to clear website

Please Note:
Individuals only require User Account Logins if they intend to do their own Declarations/Entries on their own behalf. (Bear in mind, this is only for those familiar with Customs Procedures and clearance)
If you use a broker, you do not require a user account. The broker will handle all the work for you.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Users have the option to present their required documents in person at Customs Headquarters in Nassau or any Customs location in the Family Islands.

So if I am not familiar (I'm not, but trying to learn) I should just go there in person the first time?
This is the same system used to bring goods into the country and that warning is aimed at that part, although interestingly wrong, because the first thing my broker instructed me to do was create an account under my name and ignore the warning.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 14:50   #8

Re: Bahamas Customs Check-in`

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdomb View Post
Just got back to the Bahamas and did checkin at West End, Old Bahama Bay.

Took well over an hour, since, it turns out, they now have some sort of computerized system that we could have used prior to arrival. Seems it began 1 July.

Without any notice being given, all the paper forms had to be typed into their new system.

No, I do NOT know where the new forms are to be found. They couldn't tell us.

Nor have I the least clue why they'd not alert potential arrivals to this change. Could easily be done, for instance, on the pages accomplishing the health visa.
An HOUR to check in??? OMG!!! How uncivilized!

Seriously, sarcasm aside. You write as if you found this annoying and unacceptable. You need to relax and chill. If you are visiting the islands, you have to be ready to adapt to “Island Time.” For us the slower pace of life and a more relaxed attitude to clock and calendar is one of the reasons we love the Bahamas and other small countries.

It has already been pointed out that “Click2Clear” can easily be found via google. Use that.

In most of these places the local officers handling check in do not always know all of the rules around dealing with cruising boats. It is in your interest to educate yourself carefully before you arrive so you know what to expect, and so you can correct the paperwork if needed. Just as an example, the last time we checked into the Bahamas the official did not know that a one year cruising permit for $600 was an option in addition to the $300 for 90 days. We had to walk him through it. He kept confusing the cruising permit with the visa.

All that said, the officials with the lowest understanding of cruising boat regulations have always been the ones we interact with when returning to the USA.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, customs