Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2017, 12:35   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Bad News for YouTube bloggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
This doesnt prevent them from doing that though right?

Just means they wont get minimal revenue till they hit that threshold.

Maybe even provide a bit of motivation to up their game to get there sooner.
just another small guy getting screwed by "The Man",benefiting from their labour for free.....same old, same old.....
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 12:46   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
just another small guy getting screwed by "The Man",benefiting from their labour for free.....same old, same old.....
In my experience, the perspective of whether pofit is good or bad is usually heavily relative to who is making the profit. If its "The Man" its bad...unless U Da Man. 😆
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 12:57   #18

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Humm, how does a blogger create a value added service? To blogging dies very little to benefit humanity.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 12:57   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
In my experience, the perspective of whether pofit is good or bad is usually heavily relative to who is making the profit. If its "The Man" its bad...unless U Da Man. 😆
the next step is monetising the air we breathe.....you will need 100 likes before you get the next breath............
Old 22-09-2017, 13:04   #20

Quote:
quite so
Old 22-09-2017, 13:05   #21

Quote "you will need 100 likes before you get the next breath............"

Please do not give them more ideas.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 13:05   #22

Boat: 1984 Moody 27

Let's see... Will no monetization on YouTube make your boat sink? I guess that really depends on if you were planning on using that revenue to buy a bilge pump or maybe fix a leak.

When I originally posted this thread it was removed because the ops didn't think that it was sailing related. Maybe it isn't? I have posted a good bit on here in threads that were not sailing related. It seems that there is a lot of people on here who are dreamers and planning to "Sail the Seven Seas". Many of them never do, but there are some who certainly do and in a big way.

How much sailing have these guys who always have something snarky to say even done this year? I know I sailed from Virginia to NW Florida this season. We made about 15 videos of that trip, and will likely make more too. It's time consuming, we made about .14 cents in 2500 views and that's 940 minutes of watch time in the last 28 days. So if anybody thinks your begging for money by posting to YouTube you have a lot to learn about how it works before you should even comment.

I'm working on upgrades now. We're going to video them so that others can learn how things are done the right way (or maybe the wrong way). We're not expecting to be compensated by YouTube or Patreon. We're not selling sex, so without that you don't get 10,000 views and a million followers. Facebook video doesn't compensate you at all...Zero for videos posted. I honestly doubt too many of you have tuned around on television and found a sailing channel on there to watch either.

The post was informative for those of us here who do Vlog. Yes, we'll all have to step up our game if we want to earn enough income to just keep a working camera. Have you priced a GoPro lately? What about editing software?

Yeah, I said something about my post being removed. It's the mods boards and they can do what they see fit. I won't complain too much about it. I was just perplexed that it was removed in the first place. Thanks to the mod who decided it was worth putting back up so we could discuss things.

I also want to say that I agree that those other sites have a right to do what they want with their platform. I don't believe it's about copyright protection either. That's what the letter they sent out to me said it was all about. It could take years to reach that 10,000 mark without promotion. If you want to help those guys out that you like watching, share their videos, subscribe, and actually watch them when you can. Some of them are really good.
Seeking Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 13:05   #23

Quote:
the next step is monetising the air we breathe.....you will need 100 likes before you get the next breath............
There is a series called "Mirror Black" on NetFlix which takes some of today's social media obsession to that sort of extreme...science fiction tends to become sceince fact.

I do agree though that manipulation of "The Masses" by "The Man" using technology has reached disturbing proportions.

Of courses, The Masses help facilitate that by being so obsessively connected to social media.

Oh wait...Im on a social media site...and the air seems to be getting a bit thin...whats that pop up say?..."Click LIKE to breath"...OMG! 😉
Old 22-09-2017, 13:12   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Solace View Post
Let's see... Will no monetization on YouTube make your boat sink? I guess that really depends on if you were planning on using that revenue to buy a bilge pump or maybe fix a leak.

When I originally posted this thread it was removed because the ops didn't think that it was sailing related. Maybe it isn't? I have posted a good bit on here in threads that were not sailing related. It seems that there is a lot of people on here who are dreamers and planning to "Sail the Seven Seas". Many of them never do, but there are some who certainly do and in a big way.

How much sailing have these guys who always have something snarky to say even done this year? I know I sailed from Virginia to NW Florida this season. We made about 15 videos of that trip, and will likely make more too. It's time consuming, we made about .14 cents in 2500 views and that's 940 minutes of watch time in the last 28 days. So if anybody thinks your begging for money by posting to YouTube you have a lot to learn about how it works before you should even comment.

I'm working on upgrades now. We're going to video them so that others can learn how things are done the right way (or maybe the wrong way). We're not expecting to be compensated by YouTube or Patreon. We're not selling sex, so without that you don't get 10,000 views and a million followers. Facebook video doesn't compensate you at all...Zero for videos posted. I honestly doubt too many of you have tuned around on television and found a sailing channel on there to watch either.

The post was informative for those of us here who do Vlog. Yes, we'll all have to step up our game if we want to earn enough income to just keep a working camera. Have you priced a GoPro lately? What about editing software?

Yeah, I said something about my post being removed. It's the mods boards and they can do what they see fit. I won't complain too much about it. I was just perplexed that it was removed in the first place. Thanks to the mod who decided it was worth putting back up so we could discuss things.

I also want to say that I agree that those other sites have a right to do what they want with their platform. I don't believe it's about copyright protection either. That's what the letter they sent out to me said it was all about. It could take years to reach that 10,000 mark without promotion. If you want to help those guys out that you like watching, share their videos, subscribe, and actually watch them when you can. Some of them are really good.
jk rowling,an unemployed single mother comes to mind,where would we be with out harry potter for a generation of kids ,had manuscript never got further than the pile on the editors desk.....this is just another form of editing by accountants
Old 22-09-2017, 13:14   #25

Fortunately it will be a very long time before someone figures out how to regulate the air here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rio%20Dulce%20Wing%20on%20Wing.JPG.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	156518
Old 22-09-2017, 13:16   #26

Is the underlying assumption is that vloggers have some kind of "right" to use the business resources of others?
Old 22-09-2017, 13:22   #27

Boat: Various

Quote:
this, in case you forgot, is a SAILING forum.
No. In case you forgot, it is a Cruisers Forum. Then labeled elsewhere as Cruisers and Sailing. Cruising boats, cruising people, cruising answers. Don't forget us powerboaters.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 13:24   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
No. In case you forgot, it is a Cruisers Forum. Then labeled elsewhere as Cruisers and Sailing. Cruising boats, cruising people, cruising answers. Don't forget us powerboaters.
You're right, it is a "cruisers" forum...no intent to slight the stink pots.[emoji1] [emoji253]
Old 22-09-2017, 13:24   #29

Boat: 1984 Moody 27

Quote:
Is the underlying assumption is that vloggers have some kind of "right" to use the business resources of others?

Huh? Do you even know how YouTube works?

People can post their videos elsewhere, they're not the only game in town. Even this site generates revenue from ads. Vloggers upload content, if people watch it they also see targeted advertisements. How is this assuming any right to some other businesses resources? The monetization of videos was YouTube's agreement. They simply amended that agreement to say that unless you're above 10,000 views they will no longer pay the ad fees, but they continue to play ads on your work.
Seeking Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 13:26   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Solace View Post
Huh? Do you even know how YouTube works?

People can post their videos elsewhere, they're not the only game in town. Even this site generates revenue from ads. Vloggers upload content, if people watch it they also see targeted advertisements. How is this assuming any right to some other businesses resources? The monetization of videos was YouTube's agreement. They simply amended that agreement to say that unless you're above 10,000 views they will no longer pay the ad fees, but they continue to play ads on your work.
Their circus...their rules.