Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2017, 12:35   #16
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 10,591
Images: 75
Re: Bad News for YouTube bloggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
This doesnt prevent them from doing that though right?

Just means they wont get minimal revenue till they hit that threshold.

Maybe even provide a bit of motivation to up their game to get there sooner.
just another small guy getting screwed by "The Man",benefiting from their labour for free.....same old, same old.....
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 12:46   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 13,347
Re: Bad News for YouTube bloggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
just another small guy getting screwed by "The Man",benefiting from their labour for free.....same old, same old.....
In my experience, the perspective of whether pofit is good or bad is usually heavily relative to who is making the profit. If its "The Man" its bad...unless U Da Man. 😆
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 12:57   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Posts: 1,059
Re: Bad News for YouTube bloggers

Humm, how does a blogger create a value added service? To blogging dies very little to benefit humanity.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 12:57   #19
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 10,591
Images: 75
Re: Bad News for YouTube bloggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
In my experience, the perspective of whether pofit is good or bad is usually heavily relative to who is making the profit. If its "The Man" its bad...unless U Da Man. 😆
the next step is monetising the air we breathe.....you will need 100 likes before you get the next breath............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 13:04   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 600
Re: Bad News for YouTube bloggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
just another small guy getting screwed by "The Man",benefiting from their labour for free.....same old, same old.....
quite so
__________________
'give what you get, then get gone'
ZULU40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 13:05   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 802
Images: 17
Re: Bad News for YouTube bloggers

Quote "you will need 100 likes before you get the next breath............"

Please do not give them more ideas.

__________________

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 13:05   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Pensacola Florida
Boat: 1984 Moody 27
Posts: 184
Re: Bad News for YouTube bloggers

Let's see... Will no monetization on YouTube make your boat sink? I guess that really depends on if you were planning on using that revenue to buy a bilge pump or maybe fix a leak.

When I originally posted this thread it was removed because the ops didn't think that it was sailing related. Maybe it isn't? I have posted a good bit on here in threads that were not sailing related. It seems that there is a lot of people on here who are dreamers and planning to "Sail the Seven Seas". Many of them never do, but there are some who certainly do and in a big way.

How much sailing have these guys who always have something snarky to say even done this year? I know I sailed from Virginia to NW Florida this season. We made about 15 videos of that trip, and will likely make more too. It's time consuming, we made about .14 cents in 2500 views and that's 940 minutes of watch time in the last 28 days. So if anybody thinks your begging for money by posting to YouTube you have a lot to learn about how it works before you should even comment.

I'm working on upgrades now. We're going to video them so that others can learn how things are done the right way (or maybe the wrong way). We're not expecting to be compensated by YouTube or Patreon. We're not selling sex, so without that you don't get 10,000 views and a million followers. Facebook video doesn't compensate you at all...Zero for videos posted. I honestly doubt too many of you have tuned around on television and found a sailing channel on there to watch either.

The post was informative for those of us here who do Vlog. Yes, we'll all have to step up our game if we want to earn enough income to just keep a working camera. Have you priced a GoPro lately? What about editing software?

Yeah, I said something about my post being removed. It's the mods boards and they can do what they see fit. I won't complain too much about it. I was just perplexed that it was removed in the first place. Thanks to the mod who decided it was worth putting back up so we could discuss things.

I also want to say that I agree that those other sites have a right to do what they want with their platform. I don't believe it's about copyright protection either. That's what the letter they sent out to me said it was all about. It could take years to reach that 10,000 mark without promotion. If you want to help those guys out that you like watching, share their videos, subscribe, and actually watch them when you can. Some of them are really good.
Seeking Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 13:05   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 13,347
Re: Bad News for YouTube bloggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
the next step is monetising the air we breathe.....you will need 100 likes before you get the next breath............
There is a series called "Mirror Black" on NetFlix which takes some of today's social media obsession to that sort of extreme...science fiction tends to become sceince fact.

I do agree though that manipulation of "The Masses" by "The Man" using technology has reached disturbing proportions.

Of courses, The Masses help facilitate that by being so obsessively connected to social media.

Oh wait...Im on a social media site...and the air seems to be getting a bit thin...whats that pop up say?..."Click LIKE to breath"...OMG! 😉
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 13:12   #24
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 10,591
Images: 75
Re: Bad News for YouTube bloggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Solace View Post
Let's see... Will no monetization on YouTube make your boat sink? I guess that really depends on if you were planning on using that revenue to buy a bilge pump or maybe fix a leak.

When I originally posted this thread it was removed because the ops didn't think that it was sailing related. Maybe it isn't? I have posted a good bit on here in threads that were not sailing related. It seems that there is a lot of people on here who are dreamers and planning to "Sail the Seven Seas". Many of them never do, but there are some who certainly do and in a big way.

How much sailing have these guys who always have something snarky to say even done this year? I know I sailed from Virginia to NW Florida this season. We made about 15 videos of that trip, and will likely make more too. It's time consuming, we made about .14 cents in 2500 views and that's 940 minutes of watch time in the last 28 days. So if anybody thinks your begging for money by posting to YouTube you have a lot to learn about how it works before you should even comment.

I'm working on upgrades now. We're going to video them so that others can learn how things are done the right way (or maybe the wrong way). We're not expecting to be compensated by YouTube or Patreon. We're not selling sex, so without that you don't get 10,000 views and a million followers. Facebook video doesn't compensate you at all...Zero for videos posted. I honestly doubt too many of you have tuned around on television and found a sailing channel on there to watch either.

The post was informative for those of us here who do Vlog. Yes, we'll all have to step up our game if we want to earn enough income to just keep a working camera. Have you priced a GoPro lately? What about editing software?

Yeah, I said something about my post being removed. It's the mods boards and they can do what they see fit. I won't complain too much about it. I was just perplexed that it was removed in the first place. Thanks to the mod who decided it was worth putting back up so we could discuss things.

I also want to say that I agree that those other sites have a right to do what they want with their platform. I don't believe it's about copyright protection either. That's what the letter they sent out to me said it was all about. It could take years to reach that 10,000 mark without promotion. If you want to help those guys out that you like watching, share their videos, subscribe, and actually watch them when you can. Some of them are really good.
jk rowling,an unemployed single mother comes to mind,where would we be with out harry potter for a generation of kids ,had manuscript never got further than the pile on the editors desk.....this is just another form of editing by accountants
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 13:14   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 13,347
Re: Bad News for YouTube bloggers

Fortunately it will be a very long time before someone figures out how to regulate the air here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rio%20Dulce%20Wing%20on%20Wing.JPG.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	156518
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 13:16   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 13,347
Re: Bad News for YouTube bloggers

Is the underlying assumption is that vloggers have some kind of "right" to use the business resources of others?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 13:22   #27
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,431
Re: Bad News for YouTube bloggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
this, in case you forgot, is a SAILING forum.
No. In case you forgot, it is a Cruisers Forum. Then labeled elsewhere as Cruisers and Sailing. Cruising boats, cruising people, cruising answers. Don't forget us powerboaters.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 13:24   #28
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 13,347
Re: Bad News for YouTube bloggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
No. In case you forgot, it is a Cruisers Forum. Then labeled elsewhere as Cruisers and Sailing. Cruising boats, cruising people, cruising answers. Don't forget us powerboaters.
You're right, it is a "cruisers" forum...no intent to slight the stink pots.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 13:24   #29
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Pensacola Florida
Boat: 1984 Moody 27
Posts: 184
Re: Bad News for YouTube bloggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Is the underlying assumption is that vloggers have some kind of "right" to use the business resources of others?


Huh? Do you even know how YouTube works?

People can post their videos elsewhere, they're not the only game in town. Even this site generates revenue from ads. Vloggers upload content, if people watch it they also see targeted advertisements. How is this assuming any right to some other businesses resources? The monetization of videos was YouTube's agreement. They simply amended that agreement to say that unless you're above 10,000 views they will no longer pay the ad fees, but they continue to play ads on your work.
Seeking Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 13:26   #30
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 13,347
Re: Bad News for YouTube bloggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Solace View Post
Huh? Do you even know how YouTube works?

People can post their videos elsewhere, they're not the only game in town. Even this site generates revenue from ads. Vloggers upload content, if people watch it they also see targeted advertisements. How is this assuming any right to some other businesses resources? The monetization of videos was YouTube's agreement. They simply amended that agreement to say that unless you're above 10,000 views they will no longer pay the ad fees, but they continue to play ads on your work.
Their circus...their rules.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to post a Youtube Video (with Viewer) using Youtube APP Steadman Uhlich Forum Tech Support & Site Help 4 12-08-2019 15:17
Good News / Bad News Alexei Monohull Sailboats 7 23-11-2009 03:09
good news/bad news in Bradenton Beach salty_dog_68 Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations 1 31-05-2008 22:01

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:29.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.