Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2015, 12:12   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Bad Knee

Since we are pushing supplements, BioAstin (Hawaiian Astaxanthin) has done wonders for me. Was getting so creaky that I couldn't tie my shoes and anything dropped on the ground immediately brought up fear of the pain to pick it up. Tried Glucosamine without success. They were pushing BioAstin at Costco so gave it a try. Within a week, the aches and pains in my back and joints were mostly gone and boat yoga is no longer a torture. Still not as flexible as I was I'm youth but way way way better than before the BioAstin.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 12:17   #62
CLOD

Boat: none

Ok. That isn't any special secret and it the standard tennis elbow stretches I found online that did nothing for me.
Old 24-02-2015, 12:27   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Therapys therapist has given good advice. As an M.D. D.O. this is one of the methods that I ask patients to do at home, and once the relief sets in, and it generally does, it makes our job a lot easier to sort out the problem permanently if possible.

Joint pains suck. Nearly everyone gets them in one form or another with advancing years. I spent 25 years out of the UK and since returning, my right knee has twinges of sharpness whist ascending stairs. Havent had that since leaving.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 12:30   #64

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Ok. That isn't any special secret and it the standard tennis elbow stretches I found online that did nothing for me.
Sorry.
Old 24-02-2015, 12:33   #65

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, guys, it's morning here, and I'm back for a while. Thank you all for so much support.

I thought I'd add a thought process to what I've written before. It is a little self talk. First I ask myself, what is the worst possible outcome? I answers me, "death." "Okay, I can understand that, what's next?" "Totally crippled and miserable." "Okay, are you?"
"Heck, no!" "Okay, then get on with it, and be cheerful, think positive. Positive thinking translates to healing at the cellular level. Do it." "Okay. Big smile"

The "use it or lose it" folk wisdom seems to be how it is. We all have individual variation, and given that, not everyone will have the same results, but at least for knees, good results are a reasonable expectation.

To the poster from ON whose doc was so negative, I second the opinion to find a couple of other opinions. Perhaps there's something special about your situation that we don't know about; you'll find that out, and likely, you'll also discover if the first doc was unnecessarily negative.

Thanks to the poster who wrote in to say the Orthopedic hospital approach works better, and who went from hospital to a rehab facility. No one explained to me that I would have had 2 x per day sessions, from which I would have benefited,, and I could have had that. Instead, I went straight home, but to exercises, and in home re-hab. I was really sassy with the walker. See, one of the bad things is that they try and make you afraid to fall, and also tell you not to run, because the impacts of running wear out the insert. I would have been better off not made fearful, and it was not a possibility that I had considered.

To the poster with the herniated disc in his neck. Get a second opinion before you get fused. I was fortunate to have been referred to possibly the best spine man in California, and although I was scheduled for another fusion, what happened instead was spinal decompression surgery. It has been over 10 yrs. now, and I can still crane my neck and do spinnaker trim.

If you're already a sailor, and a "lifestyle cruiser", land based doctors haven't a clue about how your life is. Their assumptions mostly don't fit you. The best lot to start with, IMO, are sports physicians rather than regular GP's. Learn to look at their qualifications rather than their personality evaluations. Go to the best place in your country that you can if you require surgery. If you're on National Health, go to a big city hospital rather than rural. You deserve it.

Ann
Old 24-02-2015, 15:50   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Thanks Therapy, that was pretty much what my physiotherapist had me do, along with massage and heat, heat, heat...
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 21:49   #67

I have problems with my knees & hips. Could be because I take meds that pull Calcium out of my bones-or just living life, falling and getting back up. Had endoscopy on both knees-got rid of torn cartilage-then I messed it up again. They said I have some syndrome where my knees overextend & that causes problems.

I've slipped on deck during a big storm at sea which really caused a problem with my right knee. They are worse when I sit-they don't want to move again until I stretch a bit b

I don't know why I wait to get it checked again. I'm afraid what to find. Your stories are really convincing me to do it sooner than later.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 21:49   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Since we are pushing supplements, BioAstin (Hawaiian Astaxanthin) has done wonders for me.

Is there a difference between regular and Hawaiian Astaxanthin? I was given the regular as an antioxidant & to boost my immune system.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 09:21   #69
CLOD

Got a shot in the bad knee. Feels better already and hopefully that is all that it needed.
Old 25-02-2015, 10:14   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Got a shot in the bad knee. Feels better already and hopefully that is all that it needed.
What kind of shot, that chicken fat stuff, or steroid?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 10:31   #71
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
What kind of shot, that chicken fat stuff, or steroid?
They said it was a steroid. It may have been chicken fat or some other placebo, but it doesn't matter as long as the knee feels better
Old 25-02-2015, 10:51   #72
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

if all else fails you can do as the other escapees from the northeast do: move to florida and get out of the cold weather that aggravates joint problems. hot as hell here in the summer but at least i can get outside and move around in the winter without my knee locking up as it so often does in the freezing weather
Old 25-02-2015, 11:09   #73

Quote:
Curious to how many cruisers out here doing it have a bad knee.
I have two bad knees. One from being hit by a car when I was 17 while on my Honda Scrambler 90. The other from jumping off a mogul only to see a young girl wipe out right where I was about to land. I cut as soon as I hit the snow and one ski made it but the other got caught up in her skis. I was in my late 20's then. I just have to keep them in shape and they act up less. I do a lot of stairs.
Old 25-02-2015, 11:18   #74

Boat: Monk 36

A bunch of years ago I was sitting in traffic when a truck hit me from behind. I saw it coming in the rear view mirror and braced for it. Mistake - shattered the meniscus in right knee, had most of it removed. Right knee bothered me so much that I compensated and wore the left knee down to bone on bone. Yeah, that's lots of fun. Almost four years ago total left knee replacement.

Granted, I can only bend it to about 125°, but I can walk and ride the bike and go up stairs quite comfortably, things that didn't go all that well before TNR. Wish I'd have done it sooner but like the doc says, you put it off as long as possible.

Naturally, the originally damaged knee is starting to act up and in a couple years that will be replaced. I'm waiting for when they can 3D print one inside.

I still sail an occasional mono with friends. I did switch to a catamaran and the sailing is definitely way more comfortable to the point where I will be taking off in fall for a long sail down the East coast USA to Bahamas and who knows.

Yes, the restricted bend is a PIA when crawling around in a tight area and although I can and do kneel, I sit a lot more when working on things. Basically, it's an inconvenience, not a hindrance. I have a lot more years in this 65 YO body and no stinking knee is going to stop that.

BTW, I went through lots of synvisc injections in both knees for years, for temporary relief, but after a while that has to stop. Tried acupuncture (he was convinced he could fix it) I don't think so).

I'm putting my ski boots on CL today. I know someone with a TNR who wiped out and did major league damage, so I'll pass on that possibility.
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 11:26   #75
cruiser

I tore and completely severed my MCL 50 years ago (before knee surgery was invented) and have been living pretty pain free since. But I expect as I age (50 now) that will give me problems. I hope it will never banish me to the hard.
Crosis is offline   Reply With Quote