Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2020, 15:20   #1

Boat: Tripp 41
Bad decisions

So I’ve been reading and searching this forum for a little while though I’ve now finally made an account.
Anyway, I am a younger guy who is finally looking into buying my first boat. I’ve grown up sailing on big boats, and have a very good idea of the boat I am looking for. I currently live on the US east coast, though I have unfortunately found my “Dream boat” for sale in Australia. It’s a 43 ft sailing boat, so what I am asking about is this:

What is a very rough estimate of the cost of shipping this boat to the US? I’m very flexible on shipping location as I would be ok sailing the boat from the Panama Canal if I needed to

Legally, how much of a hassle am I dealing with?

What pitfalls have people experienced when shipping their boats that aren’t really apparent until you have undertaken the expense?

And lastly I have done quite a bit of research here, so please refrain from the “do your research” comments, I’m mostly asking for peoples experiences with somewhat similar things
Notyetsinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 15:25   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Bad decisions

From my limited experience of buying boats, I would answer the first one as "a huge amount" and the alternative as being that you should really be physically there for the first sail of a second-hand boat as sending a paid skipper to "fix" and sail a boat across a serious ocean could result in a very significant bill too.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 15:29   #3
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

If you have already fixated on the "one perfect boat on the other side of the world" then there is little help for you at this point. Just do it and pay whatever massive price presents itself for your folly. Nothing anyone can say to you will change your mind, so why even bother?

Pop the popcorn and watch the fun!
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 15:29   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Notyetsinking,

Here's a link to a thread where two people (at least) wrote in with direct experience of shipping a boat and the costs and dangers: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...it-234378.html

And, if you've a moment, a word about searches on CF. The short story is to use the CF Custom Google Search (under the Search menu)--It works better for concepts. The first one on the menu requires exact matches, and is case sensitive. I found that link for you by putting in "Shipping boat from NZ to NL", and up popped 4 or 5 ads, places you could get quotes from, as well as the thread here.

Ann
Old 15-07-2020, 15:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
From my limited experience of buying boats, I would answer the first one as "a huge amount" and the alternative as being that you should really be physically there for the first sail of a second-hand boat as sending a paid skipper to "fix" and sail a boat across a serious ocean could result in a very significant bill too.
Yes I agree regarding the price of it, from what I’ve seen I think maybe around somewhere like 60k to fort Lauderdale Florida? I really hope it would be less than that but I am trying to understand my “worst case scenario” so I don’t waste mine or the sellers time....though the skipper option is one I haven’t considered, I would prefer spending a chunk of money to “fit out” the boat for an ocean crossing rather than losing it to a shipping company
Old 15-07-2020, 15:47   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
If you have already fixated on the "one perfect boat on the other side of the world" then there is little help for you at this point. Just do it and pay whatever massive price presents itself for your folly. Nothing anyone can say to you will change your mind, so why even bother?

Pop the popcorn and watch the fun!
You may be right... the logical engineering brain of mine has tended to lose all sense of logic in certain realms. Sailing and boats happen to be one of them
Old 15-07-2020, 15:50   #7

Thanks for the link I will make sure to use the search next time!
Old 15-07-2020, 16:15   #8

There must be another boat just like it or better somewhere closer. The cost of shipping this boat undermines whatever type of deal it is.
Old 15-07-2020, 16:21   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

From where in OZ to the East Coast of US? It's closer from Perth or Darwin, west about.

Guess between $40k and $50k, including the cradle. [I have not researched this, it is a WAG based on forum chit chat.]

Ann
Old 15-07-2020, 16:30   #10

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

Take 6 months off your work, gather up a few buds you trust, and fly the crew down there and sail it back. It would be an amazing learning experience, and when you get the boat home you will have earned it. In addition, if you have a cute girl or two, you can blog or youtube it, and the proceeds might pay for the journey too.
It would be really sad to pay a whack of money, and then hear your boat was lost at sea someplace, or demasted or any manner of horrible things, and you never even got to step foot on it or sail it once.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 16:33   #11

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

It cost my 35-doot boat nearly $30,000 to ship it from China to the west coast USA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coot with sails.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	219432  
Old 15-07-2020, 16:51   #12

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyetsinking View Post
Yes I agree regarding the price of it, from what I’ve seen I think maybe around somewhere like 60k to fort Lauderdale Florida? I really hope it would be less than that but I am trying to understand my “worst case scenario” so I don’t waste mine or the sellers time....though the skipper option is one I haven’t considered, I would prefer spending a chunk of money to “fit out” the boat for an ocean crossing rather than losing it to a shipping company
You're certainly in the right ballpark. If the boat is really worth 60k more than something you could find locally to you then perhaps it's worth thinking about. I can't believe that you couldn't find a better option near you with that additional budget though.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 17:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbust View Post
There must be another boat just like it or better somewhere closer. The cost of shipping this boat undermines whatever type of deal it is.
Unfortunately no the boat is a one off otherwise I would not be considering it
Old 15-07-2020, 17:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
From where in OZ to the East Coast of US? It's closer from Perth or Darwin, west about.

Guess between $40k and $50k, including the cradle. [I have not researched this, it is a WAG based on forum chit chat.]

Ann
Belmont
Old 15-07-2020, 17:42   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
It cost my 35-doot boat nearly $30,000 to ship it from China to the west coast USA.
Do you have any details as to how it was priced or did they just provide the number? How was the price paid different from the quote? I’m assuming roughly 20% variance in quoted price v price paid