Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2020, 21:35   #16

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Re: Back to the Bahamas

Just saw an update. As of July 7, the test can be only 7 days old. Luckily that change happens after your arrival.
I thought it still might be relevant to anyone reading this thread and departing later
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 02:01   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Back to the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
Just saw an update. As of July 7, the test can be only 7 days old. Luckily that change happens after your arrival.
I thought it still might be relevant to anyone reading this thread and departing later

I don’t want to sound prickly- but your post is useless. Without a source it is conjecture. Where did you see it? A blog? Or a NY Times article?

I just spent 15 min doing internet searches looking for anything to substantiate this info and could not find anything.

Update. See also https://www.bahamas.com/pressroom/ba...ening-july-1-0
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 10:25   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
I don’t want to sound prickly- but your post is useless. Without a source it is conjecture. Where did you see it? A blog? Or a NY Times article?

I just spent 15 min doing internet searches looking for anything to substantiate this info and could not find anything.

Update. See also https://www.bahamas.com/pressroom/ba...ening-july-1-0
https://www.facebook.com/13765182362...19666/?app=fbl
Facebook, from office of the prime minister, bahamas
Old 29-06-2020, 10:28   #19

Screen cap for those without facebookClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200629-112706_Lite.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	218332
Old 29-06-2020, 10:46   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The thing about the whole Covid “thing” in the Bahamas has been from the beginning, seemingly a complete lack of organization. By that I meant that for example is the PM’s speech won’t jibe with the printed transcript, and the regulation that is written may differ from the speech and the transcript, but some Government agencies will enforce based on the speech, or the transcript, or sometimes the actual regulation.
Then to really mess things up, you will get different answers from different agencies when you call to try to confirm what the actual truth is.

If it weren’t for the fact that the Bahamian’s are mostly nice, logical and polite people when they are treated with respect it would have been a nightmare.

It’s been my experience that if you are polite and show that you are trying to comply with the regulation that they reciprocate. I printed out the reg myself to show if needed, but have never had do that.
If your told you can’t do this or that when you know your following the regulation, you are far more likely to get somewhere if your soft spoken, calm and polite.
I know that may not be what it takes to deal with the US CBP etc, but getting irate in the Bahamas isn’t likely to get you what you want.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 15:07   #21
Marine Service Provider

Back to the Bahamas

Well this really stinks! Got COVID test this morning and awaiting results.

It is not like one can easily get tested!

As ‘64’ posted this is a terrible way to run an emergency.

Posted on FB and will call consulate in morning. Whatever happens, will post here.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 30-06-2020, 06:23   #22
Marine Service Provider

Called Consulate General in DC and spoke to Mr. Major who confirmed change. Test results must be within 7 days of arrival.

So --- Bahamas.com, AND the Bahamian consulate website that was updated 27-June https://www.bahamasembdc.org/bahamas...f-1-july-2020/ Are both wrong

@chris Mac- thanks for posting the update.

Given that I cannot easily get retested, may be easier to change my flight!

Edit--- just posted and then read my signature line. It truly is "high time to get to sea!!"
Old 30-06-2020, 06:33   #23
CLOD

Boat: none

I would think the real people to call would be the immigration office for where you plan to arrive at. It is apparent that the requirements aren't consistent and understood, so what is are the people in the checkin office following?
Old 30-06-2020, 07:09   #24
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I would think the real people to call would be the immigration office for where you plan to arrive at. It is apparent that the requirements aren't consistent and understood, so what is are the people in the checkin office following?

Thank you. I tried several number and got no answer. This is who I could reach and the info I got.

Feel free to try and reach someone better.
Old 30-06-2020, 08:17   #25
CLOD

Quote:
Thank you. I tried several number and got no answer. This is who I could reach and the info I got.

Feel free to try and reach someone better.
Not looking to argue or cause trouble as I am not looking to go back to the Bahamas till winter and expect everything will have changed by then. We both know how it works, it all comes down to the official you deal with "understanding".

Good luck.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:02   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Morgan 512 51 feet 6inches

I arrived in the Bahamas yesterday at Treasure Cay airport. The original terminal still trashed. Now two "caravans". One as a waiting room the other for Immigration/Customs.

If coming in, make sure you have paper copies of your Covid test and your Travel Health Visa.

There were no taxis but I managed to get a lift with a friendly local.
newlazydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 18:20   #27

Anyone know how they are interpreting "within 7 days"? For example, if I have a test done on Friday and come in the next Friday is that considered "within 7 days? On the one hand if you count the Friday you got the test as a day the next Friday is the 8th day. But at least in American English we would call Sunday, for example, "within two days" of Friday not 3.

The reason I ask is because LabCorp who does all the tests here is taking 6-7 days to return tests so it's a very real possibility that the on extra day is the difference between the requirement being currently impossible to meet and just barely possible.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 07:23   #28
Marine Service Provider

Back to the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
Anyone know how they are interpreting "within 7 days"? For example, if I have a test done on Friday and come in the next Friday is that considered "within 7 days? On the one hand if you count the Friday you got the test as a day the next Friday is the 8th day. But at least in American English we would call Sunday, for example, "within two days" of Friday not 3.

The reason I ask is because LabCorp who does all the tests here is taking 6-7 days to return tests so it's a very real possibility that the on extra day is the difference between the requirement being currently impossible to meet and just barely possible.

Just getting to Ft Pierce on a fast Bimini>Titusville run. So this is current and real world info!

As of yesterday - they interpret it as 7 days from the day you get the results.

Quest took my sample 10 days before my flight and I got the results the day before.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:21   #29

Quote:
Just getting to Ft Pierce on a fast Bimini>Titusville run. So this is current and real world info!

As of yesterday - they interpret it as 7 days from the day you get the results.

Quest took my sample 10 days before my flight and I got the results the day before.
Thanks, that's great news!
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:45   #30
CLOD

So you just need to know of the crossing weather window 10-17 days in the future.

Tags
Bahamas