Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 08:33   #16

Boat: none(fornow)
Well thanks for the info, it seems every time I get to go out the wind isn't very cooperative, but so far every time I have been out, I alway see others out sailing what seems like much faster than me. I chalk that up to better boats with more experienced sailors. So far i have had a good time.
kcmarcet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:38   #17

Yes hauling back to hand cleats, yes, the jib sheet is a single line with a clip in the center, it seems to me that the jib I am using is actually a Genoa. I have at least one other jib, that might be smaller, I will have to look at it. The Gen just seems to large for the boat. Maybe I will have to wrap some of it around the forestay next time out.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:42   #18

Well the jib, has not yet hit the guides. The jib in the picture is much smaller than mine, much smaller.Actually mine has two snubber winches, but I have not been using them. They seem to be somewhat confusing, at least to me, I will have to try them next time out.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:45   #19

I think if I pulled the jib/Genoa all the way back to the guides it would be a good 2 or 2&1/2 feet past the mast.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:55   #20

Boat: Cascade
Sounds more like a 135.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:57   #21

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Since I know nothing about Mac21s, I'm forced to rely on some general thoughts.

You have a masthead rig, which probably means that most of your power (for bashing through waves and like that) comes from your foresail. So, to some extent (and depending on wind and sea state) bigger is gonna be better for speed, although perhaps not for control.

You don't say (or I missed it) whether the foresail is on a roller. If it is, then your answer is simple .. just don't roll it out all the way. You'll lose some sail shape, but the boat will be easier to control in heaver air.

OTOH, if it's hanked on and you have a smaller foresail, change the sail.

This is all on the premise that you're feeling the boat is over-powered and you're driving up to weather in the puffs and it's hard work to sail. If none of that is true, the sail is working fine.

Point is, you're not stuck with a sail. You can change it or reef it and that will change how the boat responds to the winds and sea.

But so far, you say, it has been light winds. So a bigger foresail is probably better.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 13:25   #22

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmarcet View Post
Well thanks for the info, it seems every time I get to go out the wind isn't very cooperative, but so far every time I have been out, I alway see others out sailing what seems like much faster than me. I chalk that up to better boats with more experienced sailors. So far i have had a good time.
The Mac 65 is the only speedster they ever built...try to learn from their sail shape, sail choices, and how they have their sheets led but other then that I'm afraid you have what you have and its not a racer..

Darn safe boat to learn on though you will have to work at it to lay it over.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:00   #23

Well i don't want to go racing, but I think I should be able to do better that about 3.5 mpg which is the best speed I have noticed on my gps. Of course I don't think the wind has even gusted much more than 10 knots on the days I have been out.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:05   #24

Well the foresail is not on a roller, just clipped on to the forestay. But yesterday after i was here, before I went to work, I took out one of the other sails that came with the boat and it looks smaller to me. So the next time I go out I think I will bring that one with me and try that one. It look like it is in better shape too, less stains. For some reason the boat came with three foresails, so far i have only use 1.
Old 11-12-2009, 23:21   #25

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Well i don't want to go racing, but I think I should be able to do better that about 3.5 mpg which is the best speed I have noticed on my gps. Of course I don't think the wind has even gusted much more than 10 knots on the days I have been out.
Ya...You should be able to get around 5.8 out of her in Ideal conditions .

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 11:38   #26

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
You mentioned going slower than most the other boats on the water. Try to sail close enough to them in the exact point of sail (position relative to the wind) then see how they have their sails adjusted in and out. Try to match that adjustment and watch what it does to your boat speed. When going to windward make certain your centerboard is down but going downwind you can raise your centerboard a bit to get more speed.
The most important thing is to have fun!
regards
Old 13-12-2009, 13:09   #27

Boat: pilot cutter
The degree of heel that one is comfortable with should be directly proportionate to what happens should your boat suffer a knockdown. Some of these smaller light displacement vessels can get into real trouble should they suffer a knockdown and have the sail(s) fill up with water, making the boat unable to right itself. Unless there is positive flotation in the vessel, once the cockpit is full of water and the sails fill up with water also.....that's a recipe for the boat ending up on the bottom, usually within the space of just a few minutes time.
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 04:54   #28

Boat: Morgan 45 Enchantress
You might try talking to some of the other skippers who sail in your area. Most will be happy to talk about sail trim and what you can expect locally. I've never sailed on your type of boat but it sounds like you havea 135-140 fully-cut genoa. When you try to flatten a sail like that in light winds (under 10 kts) it loses a lot of its power. Also a lot of boats of boats were designed to carry small mains and large genoas if you de-power the jenny you lose most of your speed.
As for healing, it depends on the boat and when it was built. One of the old racing rules (IOR i believe) penalized waterline length relative to everything else. Generally the more heal the less speed. But some boats of that era were designed to sail at a 20 degree angle of heal of more to greatly increase their waterline length and thus their speed. I know this from personal experience on Enchantress which was designed that way.
In any case it looks like you had a nice relaxing day on the water, which us folks up here with our 20-degree temperature and snow forecast would kill for.

SV Enchantress
located Herrington Harbour South, Friendship MD
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
bloodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 06:38   #29

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Quote:
it seems every time I get to go out the wind isn't very cooperative,
Welcome to sailing.

And when the wind IS great, you have to mow the lawn or go to the office or something trivial like that.

Connemara.
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 07:31   #30

LOL, well maybe someday I will just be able to cruise. But anyway I was out yesterday and the wind was stronger, actually much stronger, 10 to 15 knots was the forecast, and it felt like it.