Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2014, 20:15   #151
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: azores 2014 how safe is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
But off course BBQ is fine and I do not mind the smoke at all! Who cares I am a vegetarian and dislike the smell of burning flesh. And please take your dogs and cats along: I do love their barking thru the nights and their piss on my deck. And DO NOT switch your AirX by any means: we all know it is silent. You just did not hear when your doc told you that you were already half deaf back in 1968!

I hope the crossing will not be too harsh this year. Take off early June. Direct route.

b.
Seems you best throw out your parachute anchor mid ocean and stay as far away from people as possible
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 02:12   #152
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

which brings us to another point,things ARE a little different in europe,and not all europeans are as tolerant as barnikiel.

so just a heads up.

i suspect vessels flying flags of states who's foreign policy might be percieved as detrimental to sections of the european population should be aware that in certain parts of europe it might be an idea not to advertise their nationality.

europe is generally a very safe place to cruise,and well policed,but on public docks in my opinion it might be a good idea to remain incognito.

French City with 40% Muslim Population is the Most Dangerous City in Europe | FrontPage Magazine
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 03:23   #153

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
which brings us to another point,things ARE a little different in europe,and not all europeans are as tolerant as barnikiel.

so just a heads up.

i suspect vessels flying flags of states who's foreign policy might be percieved as detrimental to sections of the european population should be aware that in certain parts of europe it might be an idea not to advertise their nationality.

europe is generally a very safe place to cruise,and well policed,but on public docks in my opinion it might be a good idea to remain incognito.

French City with 40% Muslim Population is the Most Dangerous City in Europe | FrontPage Magazine
I've traveled a lot to other countries, from Central and South America to Australia and to Europe and never met any hostility in those areas. I've met less than friendliness in only one, sort of a rude indifference, but found out they're that way to their neighbors too.

However, it has concerned me boating. It was my only hesitancy in flagging my boat in the US. I have wondered about eventually traveling in areas where we aren't thought well of. Again in my previous travels others who have thought poorly of our politics or government have been kind to us as people. But I wasn't arriving in a boat having traveled across the ocean to get there. And I'd think to some, regardless of the size boat we have, they're all yachts and all ugly representations to them.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 06:37   #154
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I've traveled a lot to other countries, from Central and South America to Australia and to Europe and never met any hostility in those areas. I've met less than friendliness in only one, sort of a rude indifference, but found out they're that way to their neighbors too.

However, it has concerned me boating. It was my only hesitancy in flagging my boat in the US. I have wondered about eventually traveling in areas where we aren't thought well of. Again in my previous travels others who have thought poorly of our politics or government have been kind to us as people. But I wasn't arriving in a boat having traveled across the ocean to get there. And I'd think to some, regardless of the size boat we have, they're all yachts and all ugly representations to them.
i think you are quite correct,and in 30 years of cruising i can only think of one politically motivated attack on a yacht in the med,but as they say "times they are a changing"

Gunmen in Cyprus Kill 3 Israelis - Los Angeles Times
Old 23-03-2014, 06:50   #155
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

here are some tips for rafting up,if you have never done it before alongside a wall
quote Boat Rafting Up and Raft Mooring - Etiquette, Protocol and Procedure

Boat Rafting Up or Raft Mooring

Boat rafting up is known as [ berthing boats ] , one outside the other, beside a pontoon or quay, in between piles, or [ around a mooring buoy ] . This method makes the most of the limited space in a crowded harbour. Although not ideal, a boat rafting alongside may be the only option available. It is therefore wise, to learn how to raft up safely to prevent damage to the boat or others as well as how to leave safely from the inside or outside of the raft mooring. Boat rafting up can be a straightforward by having a basic strategy and observing certain etiquette and raft protocol.

Boat Rafting Up Etiquette and Protocol

•Secure the boat to the shore, pontoon, or piles with bow and stern lines, and to the boat next with springs and breast warps.
•Do not rely on the other raft member’s shore lines to hold your boat as this is bad practice and discourteous.
•Avoid joining a raft up where only the innermost boat has rigged shore lines. A raft such as this will swing fore and aft under wind and tide effects as well as an uncomfortable and insecure berth.
•A stable raft is one where the largest boat is on the inside and the smallest on the outside.
•Avoid rafting alongside a boat smaller than your boat.
•When joining a raft up, position the boat so that the mast is not in line with the neighbour. This prevents the mast from clashing and causing damage when boats roll.
•To preserve the privacy of other boats in the raft when going ashore, cross by the foredeck, never the cockpit.

Disadvantages of Boat Rafting

The main disadvantage of rafting up boats is that it restricts the freedom to leave the berth when you wish. When on the outside, there is the inconvenience if an inside boat leaving before you, on the inside, crews from boats outside you cross the boat’s deck to get aboard or ashore. Boats may rub and roll against each other in an exposed location, causing discomfort and sometimes damage.

How to Join a Raft Mooring

Joining a raft mooring involves coming alongside another boat employing the same method when coming alongside a quay or pontoon. Coming alongside another boat is harder for the crew than a pontoon or quay.

They need to climb over at least two sets of guardrails as well as along the other boat's side deck to find suitable cleats to secure the breast ropes. The procedure is much easier when the other boat's crew is on deck.

•Ask for permission to raft up
•Plan the approach, accounting for the effects of wind and tide.
•Head towards the element that has the most effect on the boat. It unimportant which way the boat is facing in relation to the other boats.
•Brief the crew and prepare fenders and warps or lines in the usual way.
•Prepare three sets of warps or lines, the bow and stern lines to the shore and breasts and springs to attach to your neighbour.
•If the other crew are willing to help then your crew hands them the ends of the breast lines.
•Having been made fast on the other boat, the lines are adjusted from on board your boat.
•After rigging theses lines your crew takes your bow and stern warps or lines ashore.•The bow and stern lines are lead outside all the boats between the boat and the shore or pontoon and adjusted so they have some slack and are clear of the water.

How to Leave a Raft Mooring

If your boat is outermost boat in the raft mooring, leaving is the same method as leaving from a pontoon but the shore lines are recovered first. Prior to this, decide which is the strongest element, the wind or tide and choose and exit strategy, and brief the crew.

Another nearby raft may prevent departing until the boats outside your raft have left. If not sure that all nearby obstructions can be cleared, either ask the outside boats to move or be prepared to wait until they leave.

When leaving the inside the raft mooring, leave with the strongest element as leaving against it. When leaving inside the raft it will create a danger that the boats outside will be at the mercy of wind or tide. To avoid any problems may mean that your crew take control of other boat's warps when leaving. This will entail picking up the crew outside of the raft once the boat is clear.

•Leave in the direction of the strongest element either downtide or downwind, otherwise, the boats outside become uncontrollable when their warps are released for you to leave.
•Check that there are no obstructions in your line of departure.
•Recover the bow and stern shore lines, leaving the boat attached only to the boats to either side of it.
•Recover your warps from the boat that is outside you.
•Unfasten the outside boat's downwind or downtide shore line.
•Lead it around the back of your boat and back to the shore.
•Release your breast ropes and springs from the boat inside you
•Allow your boat to move out slowly with the aid of the strongest element.
•The boat is allowed to move downtide or downwind out of the raft.
•The outside boat moves in to the inside boat by combined wind or tidal effect and anchoring by the upwind or uptide warp
•The shore line of the boat outside is pulled in and secured
•The outside boat is secured to the inshore boat with breasts and springs.
Old 23-03-2014, 07:04   #156

Boat: Seadog 30

Atoll
I might be worth a mention to pull your mooring line (bowline) through the other lines from the bottom.
I'm sure you know what I mean and can explain it better than me.
Captain Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 07:15   #157
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ludd View Post
Atoll
I might be worth a mention to pull your mooring line (bowline) through the other lines from the bottom.
I'm sure you know what I mean and can explain it better than me.
what captain ludd is referring to is when taking a line ashore,is running your shore line under the vessel or vessels shore line that your are rafted up,so as not to cause chafe.

to do this you have to feed your line under each of your neighbours from their bow and stern when you take your line ashore.
Old 23-03-2014, 07:36   #158
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: azores 2014 how safe is it?

Should maybe jump in here on the 'Weather' side.. the forecast from Passage Weather and a couple of others indicated a lot of motor sailing when I set out from Ft Lauderdale.. the reality was in fact 15-30kts from 15hrs after we set off till we headed NE for the Azores where we got hit by a N'ly 40+ on the 2nd night.. the 1st real blow of the trip.. the rest were just line squalls... in and out in 20 mins or so..
As the Aussies say.. take they report with a pinch of salt and add 40%.. don't get hooked on Computer models.. learn some basic cloud and sea reading techniques..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 07:40   #159

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
... don't get hooked on Computer models.. learn some basic cloud and sea reading techniques..
Do they sell those at West Marine?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 07:50   #160

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Seems you best throw out your parachute anchor mid ocean and stay as far away from people as possible
Yes, sailing by is an option.

Skipping Horta is what we did last time. It worked treats.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 07:54   #161
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Yes, sailing by is an option.

Skipping Horta is what we did last time. It worked treats.

b.
Did that on my 1st crossing.. SMX to Salcombe in 47 days... do find Peter's.. opppsss.. Horta slows me down by a few weeks...
Unless I'm on someones payroll..
Had to say that..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 08:29   #162
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

DON'T BBQ in a European port. You will be pegged politically as a Yankee or an Aussie, depending on meat size.

OH and since we're here:

Cancer risk from grilled meat: Is it time to give up smoked and fried foods?

Bon appe-tits
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 08:32   #163
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
when I set out from Ft Lauderdale.. the reality was in fact 15-30kts from 15hrs after we set off till we headed NE for the Azores where we got hit by a N'ly 40+ on the 2nd night.. the 1st real blow of the trip.. the rest were just line squalls... in and out in 20 mins or so..
Totally surprised by this
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 08:52   #164

Boat: One-off Baron von Hoevell, 29ft steel classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
Ben,
I'm not sure I understand your timing....perhaps a language issue, but NO worries!!
We WILL figure this out...

I understand you are planning on crossing the Atlantic from the Cape Verde Islands to the Caribbean...
But, I'm confused about WHEN you plan to leave the Cape Verde Islands and actually cross the Atlantic to the Caribbean...
Please confirm WHEN you are planning on crossing the Atlantic, is it in May/June??? Or is May/June when you are leaving Biscay???

If you are planning a May/June East-to-West crossing....please note that this is not the usual/normal time to do so...
It is very do-able, but is unusual...as most do not wish to be cruising the Caribbean during hurricane season (June 1st thru Nov 30th)....

But, May/June is certainly before the start of the "Cape Verde" season, starting in late July or August....(this is the part of the hurricane season, where tropical storms / hurricanes form from lows/tropical waves that come off Africa near the Cape Verde Islands)...

The winds for a May/June, Cape Verde-to-Caribbean crossing will be mostly about 15kts....:
-- Mostly N and NE in/near the Cape Verde's...
-- Then mostly NE, after leaving the Cape Verde area...
-- Then some more E to NE, as you pass the halfway mark (about 45*W - 40*W)

And, you'd have a slight favorable current the whole way...typically 1/2kt or less...

BUT...

But, you should be ready for convection, squalls, etc. the whole way across...
(I love flying a spinnaker, even at night.....but would NOT recommend doing so on this May/June crossing, unless you can see the weather, ad are prepared for rapidly developing squalls...)
Keep an eye out for any convection coming off Africa, and here is where the big picture of a full-ocean satellite image can be of great help!! (transmitted a couple times a day by the USCG / NWS/NOAA....)

I hope this helps...

John
s/v Annie Laurie

Thanks again for taking the time to comment to me personally here! And yes, seems like we have another slight miscommunication here. English is not my native tongue, but I really should be getting better at it by now

Plan is to leave Belgium in may/june and depart from Cape Verdes to the Caribbean by the end of november. If I'm to believe any of the preliminary research I've done so far that should make for the most enjoyable crossings with the least risk involved.

One thing worth noting perhaps is that I'm sailing a 29ft steel classic. Meaning (among many things) that it weighs "slightly" too much for its rig and it's range under engine is very limited. I'm not at all looking for big winds or "fast/thrilling" sailing, but light/no winds for weeks on end would likely cause some issues with supplies...
Orchidius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 11:06   #165
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidius View Post
Thanks again for taking the time to comment to me personally here! And yes, seems like we have another slight miscommunication here. English is not my native tongue, but I really should be getting better at it by now

Plan is to leave Belgium in may/june and depart from Cape Verdes to the Caribbean by the end of november. If I'm to believe any of the preliminary research I've done so far that should make for the most enjoyable crossings with the least risk involved.

One thing worth noting perhaps is that I'm sailing a 29ft steel classic. Meaning (among many things) that it weighs "slightly" too much for its rig and it's range under engine is very limited. I'm not at all looking for big winds or "fast/thrilling" sailing, but light/no winds for weeks on end would likely cause some issues with supplies...
you had me confused for a bit! but no damage done!

as for your proposed trip,apart from getting out of the biscay you should have favourable winds all the way down the european and african coasts.

there is a chance of SW winds between the bottom end of portugal and the canary islands,later in the season ie after october,but normally come back to the NE after 3-4 days.

i would reccomend stopping in the cape verdes before gambia,and leaving for the caribean from the gambia,as it will be a very hard upwind passage to get back to the cape verdes,especially mindelo in the north of the group.

apart from that,you can anchor pertty much anywhere in the gambia river,just be aware that around banjul their is a lot of theft of outboards,and generally if leaving the vessel un-attended it is best to hire a local guard to stay onboard whilst away from the vessel.

check www.noonsite.com/gambia for latest info

Tags
Azores