Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2018, 14:01   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Avaricious parasites. Riviera Beach City Marina

Riviera Beach Marina Charged our Credit Card $2816.51 for Five Nights !

April 20, 2018. On our way home to Ontario from the Bahamas we sustained significant damage as we were dangerously waked in the Lake Worth inlet by a 60’ sportfisher. We limped our way to anchor and called Riviera Beach Marina to try and get a slip as we desperately needed help with repairs. They told us we could have a slip in about four days and asked for a credit card to secure it. We stayed at anchor for four days til’ we could get a slip and begin the search for help and parts.

We informed the marina that we did not know how long we’d need the slip as we didn’t know how long repairs would take but that we’d book for a month and adjust later. They immediately billed our credit card for $2,568US and the following day another $248.51 ! This is four days before we even got there !

JAS Marine helped us get parts and repairs in an amazing 5 days. We checked out of Riviera Beach after only 5 nights and asked them to adjust our bill to the credit back the months payment and charge us the daily rate for the five days and return our $1,284 US security deposit. They responded that we’ll get our security deposit back in 2-3 weeks and told us there would be no credit for the month they charged us for. We obviously complained and were told by Harbour Master “Lee”, “that’s the way it is”.

These avaricious people take advantage of people in distress.
They charged our credit card $1,532.51 US for a five night stay and we still don’t have our $1,284 security deposit back.

Give these people a credit card at your own peril.
Old 08-04-2018, 14:41   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Avaricious parasites. Riviera Beach City Marina

Wow... that takes the cake !

By the title of the thread, I thought this was going to be about bottom fouling critters.
These marina guys are worse !

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 14:54   #3

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Avaricious parasites. Riviera Beach City Marina

Just call your credit card and file a dispute. They will ask for some basic documentation and then they will usually credit tour account until the investigation is completed. Most of the time, the vendor doesn’t respond in time to the complaint and they lose. People have a disdain for credit card companies but in cases like this they show their value to the consumer.

Btw... always try to resolve the issue amicably first.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:24   #4
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Riviera Beach Marina Charged our Credit Card $2816.51 for Five Nights !

April 20, 2018. On our way home to Ontario from the Bahamas we sustained significant damage as we were dangerously waked in the Lake Worth inlet by a 60’ sportfisher. We limped our way to anchor and called Riviera Beach Marina to try and get a slip as we desperately needed help with repairs. They told us we could have a slip in about four days and asked for a credit card to secure it. We stayed at anchor for four days til’ we could get a slip and begin the search for help and parts.

We informed the marina that we did not know how long we’d need the slip as we didn’t know how long repairs would take but that we’d book for a month and adjust later. They immediately billed our credit card for $2,568US and the following day another $248.51 ! This is four days before we even got there !

JAS Marine helped us get parts and repairs in an amazing 5 days. We checked out of Riviera Beach after only 5 nights and asked them to adjust our bill to the credit back the months payment and charge us the daily rate for the five days and return our $1,284 US security deposit. They responded that we’ll get our security deposit back in 2-3 weeks and told us there would be no credit for the month they charged us for. We obviously complained and were told by Harbour Master “Lee”, “that’s the way it is”.

These avaricious people take advantage of people in distress.
They charged our credit card $1,532.51 US for a five night stay and we still don’t have our $1,284 security deposit back.

Give these people a credit card at your own peril.
April 20, 2018. So I guess this incident is going to happen in the future?

By the way, sorry that happened to you. That stinks. Call your credit card company, as suggested.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:13   #5

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Just call your credit card and file a dispute. They will ask for some basic documentation and then they will usually credit tour account until the investigation is completed. Most of the time, the vendor doesn’t respond in time to the complaint and they lose. People have a disdain for credit card companies but in cases like this they show their value to the consumer.

Btw... always try to resolve the issue amicably first.
Since they spoke to Lee the Harbormaster and were blown off, I’d say they already tried to resolve things amicably. Time for the CC company and Active Captain, Yelp and the forums.....
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 15:58   #6
SFS

This is a City (municipal) Mariana? I'd be calling the mayor and each of the city council members, explaining my plan to review the marina on AC, Yelp, trip advisor, SBO, Facebook, etc. Also file a complaint with the local Chamber of commerce BEFORE you make that call. The credit card folks will protect you. Taking these other actions will protect others in the future.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 18:18   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Error in my opening post. It says "April 20th". It should read "March 20th"

Still have not got my security deposit back but I have had contact with another forum member who tells me he had to get a lawyer involved to get his back.
Old 09-04-2018, 18:49   #8

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

I have been in and out of that marina for years and they are very fair and work with all boaters. Unfortunately, because the marina is run by the City (read GOVERNMENT), the marina staff cannot just give you money back like a regular business would, instead the City Clerk, City Manager and Finance Dept will have to get involved. Suggest you start with the Finance Dept.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:50   #9

I had a similar issue out at Block Island a few years ago. They charged me for an extra night on a mooring. The moorings are run by the city. They have mechanism's to charge and collect, but not to refund.

The best they could do is write me an IOU for an extra night. Been back 20 times since then. I have yet to find an available mooring (first come, first serve, no reservations) since then.

I hate to be 'that guy', but honestly, you booked the space for a month, then decided to back out with little to no notice.

Did they agree that they would credit you for the month? Or did you say "If we don't need the time, we'll iron it out later"., To which the 19 yr old summer clerk nodded and didn't bother to argue with you about their policy?
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:16   #10

You mean those nice little old ladies in the dockmaster's office in Riviera Beach? The dockmaster himself?

Absolutely the LAZIEST most uncourteous civil servants ever! Layabouts, sloths, do-nothing's. They make Brad Pitt's character in True Romance look like a workaholic.

Saying it's the city's fault they can't give you your money back is BS. They are solid DMV lazy, pure and simple. For them to give you your money back they would have to, I don't know, DO THEIR JOB? Why would they want to do that? They can just do nothing without repercussions. You are going bye-bye soon. See ya!

Sorry you had a bad experience. Suggest others avoid this marina if at all possible. It's not exactly the greatest marina anyway. They stick transients all the way out at the end which is like a twenty minute walk to the office. There's nothing nearby on shore except for a weird park full of meth-heads. The heads are pretty GROSS. Wear your shower shoes (flip-flops) in the shower.

A couple of the dock guys are nice though. Helpful, but they are the exception. Easy to dink to peanut island but that's about it. Office staff suck. The worst.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2118.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	167888  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:39   #11

I run a side business leasing high dollar equipment booked months in advance. In my day job I do consulting, booked weeks in advanced. When a contract evaporates because grandma died, the cat needed surgery, whatever, it's all lost revenue to me. And I get the bonus of solely incurring the fixed costs associated with the idle equipment and time.

The question is whether or not the marina lost, or likely lost other opportunities to generate revenue with the slip by granting but then shortening the lease with you.

If the answer is no, that other revenue was not lost, or likely not lost, then as a public function the marina should not engage in "gotcha" money grabs. You are owed a refund (down to the daily rate) and the marina people involved should earn a reputation of not following the customary law.

If the answer is yes, that by granting a contract with you, but then you backing out causing the marina (and taxpayer) to swallow the opportunity cost/lost revenue associated with of having done business with you, then you're more than out of line.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:24   #12

Boat: Boatless

I'm a tad confused. If you booked for a month, perhaps you got a monthly rate and had the right to stay for a month. Many marinas I've visited have daily, monthly, quarterly and annual rates...all different. If one commits to a time frame, one then pays for it and can stay for that time frame. If one elects to leave before the time frame is up, then that is up to you but usually no refunds. I don't know about Riviera Beach Marina per se, but in the past I've booked a slip for a month and if I left before the month was up that was my choice. No refund.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote