Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2014, 14:08   #61

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Australia Day Beer Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Tell them that you are not into chaps.

Coops.

Didn't want to spoil the fun.
Old 19-01-2014, 14:38   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
AHMMM. You do realise this is a parody dont you? A bit like when Roy and HG, a comedy radio duo commentated ona State of Origin match and refused to call QLD all night, only mentioned the blues.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 14:49   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
AHMMM. You do realise this is a parody dont you? A bit like when Roy and HG, a comedy radio duo commentated ona State of Origin match and refused to call QLD all night, only mentioned the blues.

Well thank you for that inference that my brain might not be working. Gee, wonder where the tooth fairy went last night then? It wasn't to my house.

Coops.
Old 19-01-2014, 15:17   #64

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Factor, you are right to be worried, but the Australian sense of humour (which takes a bit of adjustment at the best of times) derives from the English sense of humour, so we are comfortable with this sort of thing.

But as for the American sense of humour, the only time I ever saw a good American friend laugh in a movie was during "Texas Chainsaw Massacre". So clearly I missed something that she got, and she was a "Cal Girl", so it must have been good.

Matt
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 18:08   #65

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Does Australia charge high prices from beer imported from New Zealand? Or does it not even make it to Austrailia?

MOA is an awesome brewery out of New Zealand, really superb beer.

I can't imagine how bad Australian beer must be if people think PBR is that much better.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 18:16   #66

Boat: Able 50

Not too many people in Australia think that Pabst is better. You could go to my hypothetical 20 bars and not find a single bartender who had even heard of the stuff let alone sold it.

Beer is expensive because of the tax, just like Canada.

NZ beer barely sells in Oz. Steinlager is the only one I can think of. I guess it would cost $55 per slab.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 19:04   #67

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

You guys and yer Lagers and 5% Stouts. The Brits invented good beer and improved it to survive passage to the Raj. The best beer in the world. Is made in Oregon State, USA……any IPA you can get from there is equivalent to a porter house steak…… too bad I am on a diet that any cow would eat…Moooooo! Oh do I miss my beer but I have 40 lbs of it to divest...another month or so I will stash some on Idora....it really helps to get work done.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 19:24   #68

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

PBR has won a couple of Gold medals for best American Lager which means it is slightly better tha Bud, Miller and Coors. But it doesn't hold a candle to Newcastle, Guiness Stout or Paulaner. Those Oregon breweries do make some pretty good stuff but in my old age the IPAs have a little too much flavor. Every state now has fantastic microbrews. Yes, we brew great beer in the US.
Even Ozzies would like it.
If you are ever in the states and heading for Mexico stock up on Bud. The Mexicans go crazy over it and it is great for barter.

The best selling beer in the world is Snow Beer from China. Never had it and can't get it. I've had Tsing Tao though.

OK I'm done with malted barley trivia.
Old 19-01-2014, 19:24   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Nobody can say that any beer is the best in the world. Not even the so called experts who taste it for a living. You may not like what I like, and Vicki from Versailles may like something entirely different.

The sad part is that the really big breweries sell most of their stuff to folks who dont really care what it tastes like as long as it is called beer and it makes you silly. If you are not looking at it as loopy juice and just want a couple of coldies to sip and enjoy at the end of the day, then quality of taste starts to rear it's expensive little bonce up for a peek into your coffers.

PS Love "the dog", great stuff Newkie Brown. Old Speckled Hen is a bit of a favourite as well.

Coops.
Old 19-01-2014, 19:34   #70

Coopers, Boags and Cascade are my preferred "beerverages".

It is expensive here due to tax which supposedly helps pay for healthcare and might discourages (poor) people from drinking to much. What I find odd is the stores encourage you to buy a 24 pack when you only want a six pack because they charge ~ $20 for six packs and maybe ~ $45 or less on special for a 24 slab.

Wine however can be very inexpensive if you are not a wine snob. Clearskin labels which I find drinkable (good) can be had for less than $10 and even less than $5 which is the best deal. Not surprisingly the politically correct do gooders are encouraging the gov to heavily tax wine also.

Think I will have to sink a few Coopers on Ozi day as it is a good natural beer produced by a multi generation family owned Ozi company.
giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 20:03   #71

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Lived in PRC for about 10 years and drank far to much of that Snow beer.Its OK but amazing what you get used to especially as we Aussies like our beer cold which is quite hard to get in China unless you go to the more western catering type places.Stangely I drank and saw far more foreign beers from around the world than I ever noticed in OZ.
I prefer Tsingtao which maybe you know originally came from Qingdao,remember the Olympic sailing.That town had by western standards an early German influence and they started producing beer for themselves in Qingdao or so I was told but then again the Chinese like to tell us Lowai stories.
Just before I left in 2013 I went into a restaurant in a small village with a few Chinese work associates.We ordered food and beer the waiter noticed a foreigner amongst the group and asked if the beer should be cold or hot.My associat.es used to me whinging about hot beer told him cold.
I watched him go out into the lane ,30 plus centigrade outside,and bring back a case of beer put a few in the fridge.At about the same time the waitress was putting peanuts on the table he was back with the bottles from the fridge announcing beer now cold well at least it was wet and anything is better than their Baijiu
Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 20:04   #72

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Gueuze
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 20:36   #73
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Surprised that we have not heard from any Belgians.
Now they know how to make beer!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 05:11   #74

Yup, those Belgian lambics. Wow. The most expensive fermented beverage here at about $10 per bottle! A cork and a bottle cap cause you don't want any of that stuff escaping.

Did you say $20 a 6 pack in Oz? Here in Bozeman the stores are all stocked with a very large variety of domestic and imported beers from just about everywhere. Other than the lambics, the most expensive are the Irish and English brews at about $9 for a 6er. Cheap American brew like Old Milwaukee can be had for about $4 a 6pack.

We have one bar/restaurant with about 160 different beers and about 30 tap beers. You drink one of every beer and you get your pic on the wall. My pic is not on the wall. I think I might have had a Coopers there. At an average bar a 12 oz glass of American suds is about $1.50 to $2. A better brew is around $3.25. Lotsa places have Harp, Guinness, Heineken etc on tap.

Are your prices high for liquor, too?
Old 20-01-2014, 10:45   #75

Just got back from the liquor store and looked at some prices.
Jack Daniels Black is $33 per liter
Same for Tanqueray
Absolut is $26
Bacardi is $19
Our cheapest no name vodka is $13.30 per 1.75L which is the cheapest liquor period.

Becks is now made in the US and Fosters is made in Texas and Georgia. "Fosters. Georgian for beer" doesn't sound right either.

This just popped up on CNN. I think King Tut might have tossed back one or two.
Tomb of ancient Egypt's beer maker to gods of the dead discovered - CNN.com

Tags
Australia, Beer