Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 13:12   #1

Atlantic crossing advice please -aspirational sail

I am interested in the practicalities of an Atlantic crossing, as i hope to sail from the UK to Florida at some stage (in a few years when I've gained more experience and a bigger boat (currently got a 26' Newbridge Pioneer).

How long approximately will the passage take, size boat that's comfortable for four, best route etc?

May look to crew for someone else on such a sail prior to venturing out as skipper in my own boat with 3 crew in a few years time.
Bizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:11   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Atlantic crossing advice please -aspirational sail

Bizzie hi and welcome to CF

If you were doing it as a delivery then UK to Gib with a couple of stops say 3 weeks. Gib to Carnary Islands 1 week and then St Lucia 3 - 4 weeks.

However, speed will depend on size of boat and if you rushed acros like this you would miss so many nice places to stop like Portugal, Morroco and the Cape Verdes.

So if you left the UK in July and wandered down to the Canary Islands by November you could sail across arriving in the Windward Islands just before Xmas.

Hurricane season for mid Atlantic to Carrib is July - November btw.

A copy of

I have chart 4011 from the UK Hydrographic Office pinned up on my office wall as a reminder of what I would like to do. It puts things into perspective of the distances involved.

Get yourself a copy of Jimmy Cornells World Crusing Routes for Christmas, great for passing the time during the long cold winter evenings.

World Cruising Routes - Jimmy Cornell - Google Books

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:21   #3

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Two of my six trans-Atlantic voyages (between England/Denmark/Italy and New York/Florida) encountered very high winds and something like 50-foot waves. This was during spring and fall seasons. Fortunately, this was on 900+ foot-long ships. Hate to think of winter's conditions and summer's tropical storms.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 21:48   #4

Bizzie your idea of going across with someone else first is very good. Just make sure that they have more expierience(not just deeper pockets) than you. Interview a potential captain like you would a potential corperate pilot, You life might depend on their skills. Just some thoughts.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:58   #5

Boat: Catalina 42 Mk II Wing Keel
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Bizzie:
This is a simple problem to be simply solved. First, figure pushing it will take 2 months. That would be a big shame, as you need to stop to smell the roses. The route from Europe is Europe to the Canary Islands, Canary Islands toward Cape Verde Islands, latitude sail to Leeward Islands (e.g. Martinique.) Time - November - December
Route from North/Central America or Caribbean is Bermuda, Azores, Europe. Time June/July.
Somewhere between 500 and 1000 boats do this route every year.

Now, what should you do. There are two "rallies" East to West and West to East called the Atlantic Rally for Cruisers. The East to West will leave from La Palmas Gran Canaria in the Canaries in about a month, then next year at the same time, etc. Boats are always looking or crew. So my advice would be crew for someone (you will not get paid and most likely have to chip in for the food budget) to get the experience before you do it yourself.

Google "Atlantic Rally for Cruisers" for lots of links.
svzephyr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 16:01   #6

Thanks for the replies guys. Have found out about the ARC and there is an article in this months Yachting Monthly. It's definitely an ambition of mine and an achievable one. Just want to make sure Im properly experienced and equipped as are the crew. The support ARC offers seems to the most sensible option in a few years :-)
Bizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 02:08   #7

Boat: Catalina 42 Mk II Wing Keel
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

More thoughts on the ARC:
1) Do your homework and know the timing. There are a lot of people here in the Canaries looking to crew and get to the Caribbean. The ARC doesn't leave until 25 November. Even boats crossing without participating in the ARC will not leave until near that time because of the winds and possibilities for hurricanes. Captains don't have to commit to crew for a couple of more weeks, new people are arriving daily, the Captains can postpone a decision until closer to departure.
2) Many captains (myself included) would not choose to have a full crew aboard for several weeks before departure. This means you have to find a place to stay between your arrival and a short time before leaving. This can be costly.
3) You will be in competition with other people looking for a crew position so you have to be reasonable. Yesterday a Swiss couple (we are just friends!) arrived with their dog looking for a crew position. They also have no experience on sailboats. They may get a ride but I would expect they will be on the bottom of the desirably list.

Hope this helps.
svzephyr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 03:41   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzie View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. Have found out about the ARC and there is an article in this months Yachting Monthly. It's definitely an ambition of mine and an achievable one. Just want to make sure Im properly experienced and equipped as are the crew. The support ARC offers seems to the most sensible option in a few years :-)
most of the european boats looking for atlantic crew post on this site.

Yacht crew agency, yacht crew vacancy, sailing crew from Crewseekers
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic crossing