Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2020, 11:43   #1

Boat: Beneteau 331
Asymmetrical Spinnaker Wind Speed Rating

We inherited an Asymmetrical Spinnaker with the boat.

Short of taking it to a sail maker, is there a way to figure out how high a wind speed I can use it without risk of damage?
Tmacmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 11:48   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Asymmetrical Spinnaker Wind Speed Rating

Do you know the weight? It should be marked as .5, .75 or 1.5 ounce
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 18:40   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Yes, in a way. If it is .5 oz, that is the lightest weight, and they are pretty fragile. .75 oz is what most spinnakers are made of, you can fly it in heavier air. The 1.5 oz is the weight of cloth we had on an old race boat, for it's "storm chute", and it was good up to 25 kn., but remember, it is off the wind.

It's probably 3/4 oz., and probably you'll be wanting to take it down earlier than you have to, with a new to you boat, and getting to learn how it behaves. Spinnakers can be God's way of ruining an otherwise beautiful afternoon for folks who are not used to them, and sometimes, folks who are used to them.

Ann
Old 19-02-2020, 20:25   #4

Boat: Catalina 320

Probably about 15 kts.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 23:04   #5

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

I took my asymmetric to the local sailmaker and got him to take the panels out to have it on a top-down furler. Make all the difference single handing, best thing I ever did you the boat.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 01:51   #6

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

the max windspeed for a kite will depend on the AWA. the deeper you run, the higher AWS you can stand. on the raceboats we'd often carry a 0.5oz kite in 20kts AWS if running deep (160-170 AWA), whereas we'd go to 0.75oz at say 12kts if tight

also depends on sea state / gust conditions / trimmer...kites hate shock loads, but can take higher windspeed if nice and stable

anyway, a typical 0.75oz A-sail will be pretty indestructible and be able to cope with almost anything you are likely to put it up in

cheers,
chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 02:06   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
Probably about 15 kts.
We sail conservatively, its down at the first hint of a gust approaching 15 knots.

It's a big sail and provides a lot of drive in 10 knots, I don't want to loose control with a sudden gust perhaps from a headland or risk damage to the sail which I think is 0.75oz.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 03:41   #8

Thanks for the feedback all! Unfortunately there isn’t a label on sail to show cloth weight. I”m going to guess it’s a pretty standard weight.

Point taken about taking an unknown sail on a new to me boat to its limits.
Old 20-02-2020, 03:55   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you have a friendly sailmaker nearby, they ought to be able to tell you the weight and perhaps they give it a quick once over. However, needs to be now, not in the Spring when the world goes mad and everyone wants their sails now. Ours went in for a clean a month ago, again whilst its quiet.

Take a nice chocolate cake in as a thank you for their advice and offer it upfront, you might get away without an invoice and some really good advice in return.

Pete
Old 20-02-2020, 04:11   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
If you have a friendly sailmaker nearby, they ought to be able to tell you the weight and perhaps they give it a quick once over. However, needs to be now, not in the Spring when the world goes mad and everyone wants their sails now. Ours went in for a clean a month ago, again whilst its quiet.

Take a nice chocolate cake in as a thank you for their advice and offer it upfront, you might get away without an invoice and some really good advice in return.

Pete
I’ll give our sailmaker a huge shout out: North Sails Detroit.

I took all our “new to us” sail in for inspection and touch ups. They were very knowledgeable and generous with their time (in December). I had them mark the roller head sail with various reef points with tell tails.

Unfortunately I forgot to ask about the spinnaker weight.

I’ll through the bag in the car and stop by to see what they can tell me.
Old 20-02-2020, 09:07   #11

Boat: KP 46

Half ounce is pretty light. I used to carry two chutes, half and 3/4. They were symmetrical so never used them closer than a broad reach. I rarely used the half ounce chute, maybe half a dozen times in very light wind (12 kts or so). I would normally douse my chutes around 20 kts. Thru thousands of miles I have only blown them (twice) by getting them in the water (Gusts over 30kts ending in broaches). I pulled the head out of one but it was poorly constructed.

That said I notice many people who fly asymmetrical chutes tend to over sheet them as they are pretty much useless on a run and folks reach try to close reach with them. That puts a lot of stress on a chute.

I would throw it up and sail with it, you can tell when it is straining, if you are in 16 kts or less you will not be putting much stress on it until the wind gets to the beam and fwd of it.

Feel of the cloth, if it feels like a silk sheet it is pretty worn and will have less strength. If it feels crispy and crinkly it is probably pretty new and in good shape.

remember, if you are broad reaching and running in 18kts the chute is only seeing 12 or less.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 10:09   #12

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46
pirate Re: Asymmetrical Spinnaker Wind Speed Rating

I always put mine back in the sock when I see 27 knt wind.
Ernie on the Mary Jane
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 10:54   #13

My friend has a Hunter 340 with a cruising chute with a dousing sock and we broached hard with the boat when she rolled and the owner had the main prevented... Imagine a 34 foot cruiser on it's side sliding sideways through the water... I had my daughter at the spinnaker winch which she blew the sheet and didn't have gloves on OUCH.. I was mid deck trying to untie the douse and pull it down which I managed to do and then I had to cut the preventer which was the tail of the lazy jacks and I was on the other side of the shroud... OUCH... That shroud popped me in the chest.. Although the boom is normally 6-7 feet above the water, when it crossed over the boom tip hit the water before the boat came back up. The owner was at the helm and started the motor to try and get some momentum and the spin sheet got sucked under and snapped the motor mounts. Additionally, I asked my daughter to come up and hold the dousing sock down while I tried to get the main released and bc of her hands being torn up she released it and we broached again.

Once all the sails were unloaded we wound up dumping the spin down the main cabin hatch instead of the v-berth hatch.

The lazy jack cleat on the boom was half bent on half yanked out of the boom..

I think we broached because we were exceeding theoretical hull speed ~7.2knots and the GPS said we were doing 8 knots.

All in 20Knots of breeze.

A Hunter 340 has a 3/4 rig and a displacement weight of about 16,000#, and to say the least the owner's wife has banned the chute from the boat.

In the end as the wind increases the loads increases so keep in mind what needs to release if all hell breaks loose and things go wrong.
mholtzberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 15:43   #14

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mholtzberg View Post
My friend has a Hunter 340 with a cruising chute with a dousing sock and we broached hard with the boat

Etc.

In the end as the wind increases the loads increases so keep in mind what needs to release if all hell breaks loose and things go wrong.
That is exactly why you need to blow the guy. Blow the guy and the chut streams out harmlessly ahead with no load on the boat. Even a cruising (asymmetrical) chute, a simple sparcraft shackle with a line thru the trip hole, a quick yank on that line and everything is calm again. You can even lead it back to the cockpit if you so desire.

Make it easy, rig a way to blow the guy, then sock it.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 09:47   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
That is exactly why you need to blow the guy. Blow the guy and the chut streams out harmlessly ahead with no load on the boat. Even a cruising (asymmetrical) chute, a simple sparcraft shackle with a line thru the trip hole, a quick yank on that line and everything is calm again. You can even lead it back to the cockpit if you so desire.

Make it easy, rig a way to blow the guy, then sock it. M
You have confused me, why is there a guy on an asymmetrical spinnaker?

I have always just blown the tack then lowered the sock before dropping it.

Pete

Tags
asymmetric, cal, grass, spinnaker, wind