Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2020, 11:27   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41' 1986
Asymmetrical Spinnaker Storage Challenge

Good morning from Southern California,
We are preparing to move aboard in April, retire end of July and sail south with the Baja Ha Ha Nov. 2nd to the Sea of Cortez, Central America and ?? I put new sails on the boat and invested in a Asymmetrical Spinnaker and ATN sock which I have no experience with nor did I really realize how large the bag would be relative to where I had thought I would put it. It will not fit in the lazerete. My only option is in the shower or possible strap it on deck. It would be a real PIA to put this sail in the shower.

With all that said do I really need this sail and did I make a mistake in purchasing it. Of course it would be good to have but without a good storage solution do I get over it and try to sell it? Or do I figure out a way to strap it to the deck as a solution. We are already struggling with storage on our Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41 and this sail is not helping. So can I get along with out it and take the hit and sell it.
Thanks
CR
Captain Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 14:32   #2

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II
Re: Asymmetrical Spinnaker Storage Challenge

You don’t have a settee or quarter berth to use as additional boat storage? A asym is nice to have on traditionally designed boats that often don’t have the best light air performance. You are well set up with the dousing sock - pretty easy peasy flying that sail, as long as wind speeds are correct.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 14:40   #3

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

I thought spinnakers usually lived under the v berth. Not too heavy at the bow, only need to get to it every now and again, unlikely to be hoisting it when everyone's asleep.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 14:46   #4

Forepeak hatch

Mount two harken tracks athwart ships on the inside of hatch frame extending to the sheer , use 4 or 6 slider cars on each track

Fabricate a bag to hold the spi and attach to track cars

Move bag under hatch for hoist and dump

Slide bagged sail to sheer when stored

This is the most common setup
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 15:07   #5

Hi and thanks for the responses. It can not be built into below the forward hatch as our bed is in the v-birth below. No possibility in the settee as there is zero storage (tanks under seats and the quarter birth is now the garage/shop storage etc. With some modification to the little access hole into under the V-birth is a maybe. Ill take another look see to see what I can come up with.

Great ideas
Thanks
Randy
Old 24-02-2020, 16:40   #6

I looked online - your boat model has enormous settees (on top, not underneath) and what looks like an enormous quarter berth. I think I might sleep in the quarter berth, and use the v-berth for storage. The specs also said your boat has only a 70 gallon fuel tank.
Sails make a boat go. An asym can be flown pretty easily in appropriate conditions and really move a heavy boat, where a genny just doesn’t do it, and so you end up motoring.
If it were me, I would go through what you have loaded already, and see what you truly need. I’d also try to convince the Admiral that all that main cabin entertainment space is only required occasionally - and you can throw a sailbag on your bunk while entertaining.
Cruising is about moving from place to place. Getting the boat moving efficiently and safely should be one of your highest priorities. An asym is awfully useful in achieving that goal.
Old 24-02-2020, 17:10   #7

Couldn't agree with you more on the value of the sail to move our heavy boat. Cruising is also about living comfortable in our small home as well. Unfortunately the quarter birth is a no go and not near adequate for two to sleep comfortably. I get it but having the sail in our living space is a no go as well. Ugh.....going to further explore cutting a larger hole under the v berth to stuff it in. It may work. Thanks for the thoughts though.
Old 24-02-2020, 17:21   #8

Before you start cutting things away, go sailing with the sail for a while. I don’t think it will make that much difference in asking price for a totally unused sail versus a lightly used sail.
With some sea miles under your belt using the asym in light airs, you will have a better feel how useful it is for your personal sailing style.
For me - it makes the difference between firing up my engine to alleviate the boredom of barely moving to an enjoyable sail.
Old 24-02-2020, 18:56   #9

Boat: Nordhavn 47

We couldn’t store ours either so it ended up in the back berth. It really made good padding for the other stuff we had back there and that berth was a great sea berth as the sail held you in place so you didn’t roll around.
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 20:01   #10

Boat: EDELCAT33

Or you could get a code zero sail on a curler and no storage problem
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 20:05   #11

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Hi, the sail is in a sock so have you considered simply feeding the socked sail down the forward hatch into the stowage under the v berth. No bag.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 20:12   #12

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Captain Randy, Storage in a cruising sailboat is always at a premium. I understand your predicament since we had a similar one on our 43ft boat; (tanks under the settees and quarterberth). Our solution was to remove the quarterberth and use it for organized storage. We built 9 large bins, and carefully stowed items there. We used the area behind the settees for food (one side) and other goods (the other side). One thing we were insistent upon: nothing stored on any berth or on the cabin sole. We also focused on organizing the lazerette. In the end we more than doubled our usable storage (more about this below)

However you do it, you need to look carefully at your storage needs and make hard decisions.

As for your asymmetrical kite, you can dramatically reduce the amount of volume that sail takes, probably by 50-60%.

First, carefully fold or roll it. Take it out of the sock and lay it flat on a grassy area or clean floor. Fold it into a narrow stack then roll or further fold it into a very tight bundle. Your sail should be no larger than tightly rolled sleeping bag. Tie it tight with a sail tie. If you do it carefully you can untie it and hoist it out of the bag without repacking it. In our case we decided that the sock was unnecessary, so we lost that. Two people can hoist, set, jibe, and takedown an asymmetrical easily without the sock.

Of course you cannot do this at sea, so after a passage or sail you'll have to keep it on deck or in a storage area until you can repack it.

About our storage solution. Our boat is 43 ft. We had two quarterberths and we could expand the port one to be more than 75% of the boat's width. This made it suitable for sleeping, and in fact is quite roomy. The remaining space holds our 9 large bins, as noted above. With this modification we could convert the whole bow into sail storage and workshop. Out boat is exceptionally roomy for a 43 footer, but most boats could benefit from this sort of change. In our case we are able to stow on board (all carefully packed) 6 spinnakers, 6 jibs, and three mainsails (we have a racing inventory and a cruising inventory). We also have a full workshop, separate shower, and literally a ton of spares. Since we live full time on board we also have ALL of our personal belongings including all our personal papers, books, and twenty plus years of photo albums, plus an aircondtioner, heavy duty sewing machine, and sail repair fabrics and materials for basically all sail and canvas repairs that we might wish to do. We sailed around the world this way. Oh, we store the 12' rolled up dingy and 15hp outboard motor below as well. The dingy is an exception to the rule that nothing is on the cabin sole; it sits in the front of the forward hanging locker when we are sailing.

Other than the dingy there is nothing on any berth or cabin sole. Without quarterberth, the two settees, and two pilot berths we can still sleep 6.

There is also nothing on deck except the dingy gas can. No jerry cans, no water jugs, no kayaks, SUPO, Surf boards, or anything.

I doubt if many other cruisers have this capability, but with careful planning and a little creativity we can all do better.

For sure, keep the assym.
Old 25-02-2020, 00:51   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Hi, the sail is in a sock so have you considered simply feeding the socked sail down the forward hatch into the stowage under the v berth. No bag.
That's exactly what we do with our chute and since the under v berth storage area is an odd shape being in the bow, it makes good use of one side of that space. The other side is a spare jib and diving kit.

Agree with Wingsail, less on deck the better. At 31ft we can't easily get the dinghy below so that has to live folded and lashed down in front of the mast. However, being smaller we do manage to store the anchor in the anchor locker. We don't need a medieval jousting stick pointing out the front when moving around a tight marina.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 10:46   #14

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

On our 40’ tri we’d feed it into the hatch on the Ama. On others we made a nylon bag with a zipper (maybe 6’ long) that tied at either end on the trampoline, and we’d drop the sail and fold it into the bag, which was UV resistant. We left it there on passages and stowed it when not.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 12:21   #15

Boat: Ganley Stratos 15mtr

Hi Wingssail
Is it possible to have some photos of your storage as we are looking to change the layout of our yacht to improve storage.
Thanks Paul
PaulZeeders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asymmetric, cal, grass, spinnaker, storage