Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2022, 14:25   #46

Boat: 1980 Cal 39
Re: Assistance with Battery choice

Thanks everyone for the volume of recommendations that I have received over the past few weeks and sorry its been awhile since I've responded. I hate leaving people hanging but sometimes it cant be avoided.

So here are some updates:

After my issue with the Refrigerator running the batteries down there was a bit of complication getting my batteries to charge from the solar. I knew that my new panels were working beautifully and it turns out that it was my new Newpowa Solar Controller. Once the batteries dropped below a certain voltage the controller got stuck in nightmode. Even after charging the batteries with the engine I still had problems with the controller. Easy solution, replace with Old Midnight Kid Controller which was working (I had swapped it out because I wanted a more modern one with a screen that I could read easily). My solar is now completely back to normal!
A few of you mentioned checking for leaks in the refrigerator and without a doubt it is leaking around the top loader lids. On my next visit this week I'll be replacing the seals and making certain that they are as tight as a drum. Once I go to spend the night again I will then leave the refrigerator on all night to see what effect it has on my voltage. I'm almost certain it will be fine (cant sleep in the heat anyway so Ill be up monitoring every two hours or so). I still have not had the opportunity to resolve why the starter battery also gets drained but I think I have a vague idea. I know there is a third small cable going to the starter battery and I believe it may be connected to some sort of voltage regulator. I don't know but maybe the way its all connected together has the starter battery as a reserve for the house.
Batteries - Well I sure am leaning toward the 4 6v Golf Batteries. This is what the boat had when I purchased it but they were all dead plus the starter battery was dead. My information at the time was that they were $450 or so "each" and since I also needed to replace the starter battery plus the AC charger I opted for what I could get (also given the Supply Chain problem) 2 Westmarine 860 Dual Purpose 105AH batteries. Still spent like $1200. I believe I've recently seen 235 AH Golf Cart batteries for $200 each give or take which I'm pretty sure will be my next step. (4 of them). That should give me adequate AH to go with 400 watt solar and 450 watt Wind generator (when I get that whirly bird fixed). I'm planning on installing a water maker so in addition to all the standard cruising instruments, refrigeration, Computers, etc I think Ill have enough power. In any case I am planning on performing a thorough power inventory with a clamp meter when I can spend several days on the boat. I'm going to master this power thing if its the last thing I do! Believe it or not I am actually enjoying the heck out of solving this.
Cap Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 14:33   #47

Boat: Cal 33-2

Plenty of sources of GC2 golf cart batteries - Batteries Plus, Costco, NAPA, etc. Most are around $150 each.
Old 13-09-2022, 07:00   #48

Boat: 1980 Cal 39

JimsCal
Thanks for the tip. Much appreciated!
Cap Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2022, 08:09   #49

Top NA makers of FLA in general: Rolls/Surette, Trojan, Deka/East Penn, U.S. Battery, Crown and Superior

The best battery value by far is Duracell (actually Deka/East Penn) FLA deep cycle golf cart batteries, 2x6V, maybe $210 per 200+AH @12V pair from BatteriesPlus or Sam's Club.

NAPA relabels it here: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP8144

Deka self-labeled also sold at Lowes.
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2022, 09:26   #50
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Morgan View Post
Thanks everyone for the volume of recommendations that I have received over the past few weeks and sorry its been awhile since I've responded. I hate leaving people hanging but sometimes it cant be avoided.

So here are some updates:

After my issue with the Refrigerator running the batteries down there was a bit of complication getting my batteries to charge from the solar. I knew that my new panels were working beautifully and it turns out that it was my new Newpowa Solar Controller. Once the batteries dropped below a certain voltage the controller got stuck in nightmode. Even after charging the batteries with the engine I still had problems with the controller. Easy solution, replace with Old Midnight Kid Controller which was working (I had swapped it out because I wanted a more modern one with a screen that I could read easily). My solar is now completely back to normal!
A few of you mentioned checking for leaks in the refrigerator and without a doubt it is leaking around the top loader lids. On my next visit this week I'll be replacing the seals and making certain that they are as tight as a drum. Once I go to spend the night again I will then leave the refrigerator on all night to see what effect it has on my voltage. I'm almost certain it will be fine (cant sleep in the heat anyway so Ill be up monitoring every two hours or so). I still have not had the opportunity to resolve why the starter battery also gets drained but I think I have a vague idea. I know there is a third small cable going to the starter battery and I believe it may be connected to some sort of voltage regulator. I don't know but maybe the way its all connected together has the starter battery as a reserve for the house.
Batteries - Well I sure am leaning toward the 4 6v Golf Batteries. This is what the boat had when I purchased it but they were all dead plus the starter battery was dead. My information at the time was that they were $450 or so "each" and since I also needed to replace the starter battery plus the AC charger I opted for what I could get (also given the Supply Chain problem) 2 Westmarine 860 Dual Purpose 105AH batteries. Still spent like $1200. I believe I've recently seen 235 AH Golf Cart batteries for $200 each give or take which I'm pretty sure will be my next step. (4 of them). That should give me adequate AH to go with 400 watt solar and 450 watt Wind generator (when I get that whirly bird fixed). I'm planning on installing a water maker so in addition to all the standard cruising instruments, refrigeration, Computers, etc I think Ill have enough power. In any case I am planning on performing a thorough power inventory with a clamp meter when I can spend several days on the boat. I'm going to master this power thing if its the last thing I do! Believe it or not I am actually enjoying the heck out of solving this.
Captain Morgan: I'm glad you decided to complete an Energy Budget. You might find some assistance if you Google ENERGY MANAGEMENT PACIFIC CUP. Then click on Pacific Cup 2012 Sample Energy Budget to get you to a spreadsheet template where you can adjust everything to what is on your boat or add if necessary. Include EVERYTHING that uses electrical power however small.

You don't necessarily need a clamp meter to get your numbers. Just look at the item's ID plate/stamp or user manual to get the amps, sometimes listed with backup lights on or off; I used both with 8 hours for night and 16 for day. I did a budget for my roundtrip to Hawaii and now keep it up to date. It is also helpful in learning the effect of adding new electrical equipment (i.e. water maker) to your present system.

Just remember you are dealing with a SYSTEM so you have to consider a balance of input and output to be trouble free.

Good Luck.

Tags
battery