Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2020, 22:58   #1
cruiser

Boat: 32í Sloop
ASA?

I see lots about ASA courses.

Always for more knowledge is better, that said would someone who grew up on boats, sailed optimists until he was tall and heavy enough for the laser 2, and all sorts of stuff after that, lived aboard, lots of costal single handed sailing, anchoring, good mechanical abilities get much out of them?

Seems like back then I donít remember much ASA stuff, most of the sailing was through yacht clubs, and for the bigger boats just folks around the marina and odd ball opertunites
IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 05:24   #2

Re: ASA?

No. If you are describing yourself, then I don't think you would get anything out of the basic ASA courses.

That said, if, for instance, you don't have experience with large catamarans and would like to get some, you might get something out of one of their catamaran courses. If you want a refresher on navigation, they have a course specifically on that.

So, bottom line is that the basic, general stuff would just be old hat for you. There may be some specific areas that a specific class might hold something new for you.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 05:49   #3

Boat: Fortuna, Island Spirit 400, 40ft. Catamaran - S/V One White Tree

I grew up sailing from the age of seven. I wanted to cruise on a cat so I took the "Zero to Hero" ASA week course: Basic Cruising, Basic Sailing, Catamaran Sailing, and Chartering. It was mostly review except for the chartering course but a good review nevertheless. The nest year I chartered a 47' Cat and then bought a 40' catamaran.
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 07:08   #4
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Allures 45

I've done all of the ASA courses up through and including 106. I think that if your have a few hundred days on the water you can skip up to 105 (Costal Navigation), which I think is useful and pretty much on par with the navigation curriculum required for the USCG Masters Course.
After that, I would pick and choose: 118 (Docking Techniques), Cat, etc.
Chicago, IL
enjaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 07:09   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Not sure where you are going to sail - but some countries want to see your capt license and we used our ASA booklet and it was accepted everywhere -- without it we would have been invited to leave the country immedialely
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 07:28   #6

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
Not sure where you are going to sail - but some countries want to see your capt license and we used our ASA booklet and it was accepted everywhere -- without it we would have been invited to leave the country immedialely
This basically is all ASA courses are really useful for in my opinion, if they are even sufficient for such.. When we went into Canada last year we used our Florida boater's safety certificates to satisfy their vessel operator requirements. I wasn't able to legally use the VHF while there, but my wife holds a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit from the FCC and she holds the ship's station license for our boat. Good enough.

Canada isn't very strict. But your insurance company will likely want something a little more than some flimsy ASA credentials when someone is applying for coverage that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg.

ASA certifications don't impress them much. A documented resume detailing a body of real experience and sea time sailing, crewing, and especially skippering vessels successfully over the years carries a lot more weight.

Credentials are all well and good but when it is time for an insurance company to underwrite you nothing really substitutes for sea time when obtaining affordable coverage where the insurance company is going to consider you a good risk.

YMMV
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 08:15   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Replied on your other thread on the same subject.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3198424

MODS: You might consider merging these two essentially identical threads.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 08:16   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

These are certification courses. You take these when you are required to show papers to all kinds of institutions (e.g. getting insurance, etc.)

It never hurts to take a course and get some kind of license. Just important not to mistake courses and licenses for actual skills.

Skills are built while doing things.

Think of walking vs. driving. You do need a driver's license in most countries. But you walk, swim and have babies without any certification.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 11:03   #9
cruiser

For the license part, I do have a USCG boating skills and seamanship course I completed in the late 90s, would that work for foreign sailing? At least till I get around to doing the USCG license?

Iím a mono hull guy, but if I decide to joint the cat dark side, a ASA class would make good sense.
Old 31-07-2020, 11:52   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Replied on your other thread on the same subject.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3198424

MODS: You might consider merging these two essentially identical threads.
I did not know I did that..

How to I merge? Or mods feel free to merge or delete the other thread
Old 31-07-2020, 12:31   #11

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandInfedel View Post

Hopefully a merge; belizesailor's reply in the other thread is worth preserving.

Self-taught or informally taught often means learning a subset of practices that are enough to get you going on the boats you sailed, but with gaps around things that weren't part of that.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 12:32   #12

Boat: Nauticat 43

I think the value received from any ASA course is improved and retained better if you practice all the exercises on your own independently at least within a month of taking the class. That said, if you've completed through ASA 103/104, then you are eligible to get a Certificate of Proficiency for Navigating in Mediterranean Waters (Yacht Helmsman). If you're sailing there, then this documentation satisfies any requirement for a license. Otherwise, some insurance companies list ASA course completion in their application and others will take free form input; I don't know how this is weighted.
Old 31-07-2020, 12:40   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ded reckoner View Post
I think the value received from any ASA course is improved and retained better if you practice all the exercises on your own independently at least within a month of taking the class. That said, if you've completed through ASA 103/104, then you are eligible to get a Certificate of Proficiency for Navigating in Mediterranean Waters (Yacht Helmsman). If you're sailing there, then this documentation satisfies any requirement for a license. Otherwise, some insurance companies list ASA course completion in their application and others will take free form input; I don't know how this is weighted.
Until I get around to getting my USCG license, would this suffice for international aspects like the Med?

My insurance co was happy with it, I know thatís a different animal however

Old 31-07-2020, 14:56   #14

Quote:

You can't, but the MODs may choose to do so.
Old 31-07-2020, 19:35   #15

Quote:
For the license part, I do have a USCG boating skills and seamanship course I completed in the late 90s, would that work for foreign sailing? At least till I get around to doing the USCG license?

I’m a mono hull guy, but if I decide to joint the cat dark side, a ASA class would make good sense.
You don't need a USCG license, or equivalent, for recreational sailing anywhere on the planet, but some venues may want to see an ICC or equivalent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern..._of_Competence

You only need a USCG license, or equivalent, for commercial operation.

Tags
asa