Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2021, 13:35   #31

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin
Re: ASA 101,103,104 - california coast or gulf of mexico

Two thoughts from a long time "sales professional" and "sailing instructor."

People buy something new when they want to make a change. If your wife wants to make a change to sailing and the sailing life you can't fail.

The one week zero-to-hero sailing courses are ok if you have a way to continue honing your skills after classes are finished. I have taught such programs on monos and cats in the Caribbean and New England. Some couples sail away and write me with stories. Others take up gardening or tennis... I suspect.

BTW, my wife is an accomplished sailor and has chosen her garden over sailing now. It was the change she wanted to make.
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 15:20   #32

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post

I would just take 101, then charter to get few hours of experience before deciding on 103/104.

Also forcing the wife into a week long course on a boat is not a good way to win hearts and minds. ASA 101 is fun and easy 2 day class and you sleep in your own bed at night. Not cramped on to a boat with strangers who you may or may not get along with.
Agree. Students often want to load up on all the training they can in one shot. And of course, its hard for schools to say no to that revenue. However, the better learning approach is to take a class or two then practice the skills from that class(s) until it is second nature, then sign up for the next class.

I often recommended that approach to our students, but sometimes they were determined and stuck to taking a bunch of combination classes. Like 101/103/104 all at the same time.

They also sometimes drug their spouse thru that intense learning experience. Not always the best strategy either. Some spouses were up for it, some not.

Better yet some schools/clubs have arrangements where their students can access boats inexpensively. Its a great way to get training and build experience. If the school is run in more of a club like manner it can be a fun social experience too and open up more sailing opportunities.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:50   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Agree. Students often want to load up on all the training they can in one shot. And of course, its hard for schools to say no to that revenue. However, the better learning approach is to take a class or two then practice the skills from that class(s) until it is second nature, then sign up for the next class.

I often recommended that approach to our students, but sometimes they were determined and stuck to taking a bunch of combination classes. Like 101/103/104 all at the same time.

They also sometimes drug their spouse thru that intense learning experience. Not always the best strategy either. Some spouses were up for it, some not.

Better yet some schools/clubs have arrangements where their students can access boats inexpensively. Its a great way to get training and build experience. If the school is run in more of a club like manner it can be a fun social experience too and open up more sailing opportunities.
Yeah, we took the 101/103 combined class, it was fun but it was a lot of work. It was six days if I remember right and another day or two would have been better but people are constrained by vacation time and money, so it has to be balanced out. Tis easy if the school is near by not so easy if one has to travel to the school.

ASA recommends 80 hours of sailing between 103 and 104 and I think that is good advice. I don't see how a week on a boat taking 101/103/104 really gives one the experience that one needs for 104. Heck I don't know how you can take those three classes in a week. Not like having a whopping 80 hours is a bunch of time but the real learning is when one takes the boat out on their own.

Dragging a spouse into a properly taught ASA 101/103 much less add 104 is nuts. Throw in some bad weather, sea sickness, and me thinks it is not going to end well.

Our school does have rental boats, heck at this point, it is starting to be a fleet! This is good because the boats are set up differently and they are of various sizes so it is interesting and educational taking out different boats

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:27   #34

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Yeah, we took the 101/103 combined class, it was fun but it was a lot of work. It was six days if I remember right and another day or two would have been better but people are constrained by vacation time and money, so it has to be balanced out. Tis easy if the school is near by not so easy if one has to travel to the school.

ASA recommends 80 hours of sailing between 103 and 104 and I think that is good advice. I don't see how a week on a boat taking 101/103/104 really gives one the experience that one needs for 104. Heck I don't know how you can take those three classes in a week. Not like having a whopping 80 hours is a bunch of time but the real learning is when one takes the boat out on their own.

Dragging a spouse into a properly taught ASA 101/103 much less add 104 is nuts. Throw in some bad weather, sea sickness, and me thinks it is not going to end well.

Our school does have rental boats, heck at this point, it is starting to be a fleet! [emoji3] This is good because the boats are set up differently and they are of various sizes so it is interesting and educational taking out different boats

Later,
Dan
Another way to get in some training and build experience at the same time is an "instructional charter". When I ran a school in Belize this was the primary format we used. Its basically a week long charter with training added in. If you dont over do it on the classes, then it allows time to build experience and enjoy a sailing vacation too.

For example, a 104/114 combination on a week long charter is not overly taxing. Especially if you prepare well ahead of time (as a good school should encourage you to do).

An instructional charter, with just a class or 2, is a much better way to involve a spouse too.

Its not the least cost option, but its a very effective and enjoyable way to learn.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, cal, california, gulf of mexico, Mexico