Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2015, 09:24   #46

Boat: Sabre 36 K/C
Re: As a late starter am I too old to do serious cruising?

I agree, buy the boat now while you are still working. Get out there and sail whenever you can. I bought mine last year. Hopefully meherio will be all fixed up and ready to go in 3 years when I retire. I'll be 66. I hope to cruise as long as I'm able.
womansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 09:38   #47

Boat: Nordic sailboat 44’

I turned 65 last Dec, retired about the same time we sold our racing beneteau and bought a blue water cruiser. I agree "retire earlier the better". One thing to considered in the more senior years is to keep the boat size within a manageable range, say 35 to 40'. We have just changed our mainsail track to a system that glides easily, we have big powerful winches, and a powered capstan. Doing everything to lighten the load also helps. Cheers B
bailey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 09:56   #48

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Some of the most avid sailors I know sail a dinghy. Cheap, easy and keeps you in shape.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 10:51   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Age is no barrier what so ever - it all depends on your health and that is likely to improve living on a boat. Go for it and enjoy your retirement - you shall certainly be meeting a fair number of people of a similar age.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 10:52   #50

Boat: Jeanneau 41DS

In the '70s I lived aboard in the USVI and saw a 110' steel hull schooner, The Arteries, arrive. The skipper was 96 years of age; he single handed across the Atlantic. He did have electric winches.
Alec H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 10:56   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

So.....he'll be pretty old by now!!
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 11:21   #52

Boat: Bristol 29.9

I love reading all of these replies.

We're planning to head out in 5 years, 10 months and 4 days (but who's counting). We'll go earlier if we can, but wishing won't necessarily make it so. Mr. cthoops will be almost 62 when we head out (I'll be 52) and despite being fit and healthy he sometimes thinks he won't have many years that we can do this. I keep telling him he's incorrect. Next time I'll just point him to this thread!
Cthoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 11:24   #53

Hope not, I'm 78 and am planning a Carribean and Atlantic crossing next year, but I'm not a novice sailor.
Charisma1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 11:34   #54

Boat: Beneteau 423

You should absolutely 100% go for it. Some people are old at 60 (and some at 50 !) others are still young at 80. It's as much about your attitude as physical capability - though you do need a level of fitness . But you sail in the manner to suit your capability. That's good practice at any age anyway. I am 63 and have every intention of sailing for another 20 years at least !
A friend has a great sticker on his fridge
"You are not too old and it's not too late"
Wise advice.
breezydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 11:49   #55

I'll be 70 and a half when I start sailing full time, locally (the US west coast) and Mexico and then crossing oceans. If I die in the process, that's ok with me. We all have to go sometime. I'd rather be feeding the fish than a dying piece of meat in a nursing home. I'm encouraged by the positive responses. For the few naysayers, I'm sorry for you.
Formosa46AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 11:52   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec H View Post
In the '70s I lived aboard in the USVI and saw a 110' steel hull schooner, The Arteries, arrive. The skipper was 96 years of age; he single handed across the Atlantic. He did have electric winches.
The Arteries must have been a good vessel and the skipper must have had good blood vessel too...

Glad to hear all of these testimonials of people sailing after their work years have ended.

We have four, seven and ten year plans but it is very unlikely the four year plan can happen. The ten year plan is too far away so we are working towards the seven year plan. If we could stay out for 20 years we would have a chance to visit all of the places we wish to go, and some places, a couple of visits.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 11:59   #57

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well, I am a youngster I guess at 57 but I think the only two questions that pertain to this are, how much do you love sailing? and how much do you love the ocean? Am I too old? is not a valid question.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 12:13   #58

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

It really boils down to a philosophical point of view, doesn't it? Like the little red caboose said, " I think I can...I think I can." Age is not just a number it has biologically associated number with loss of testosterone, mind related memory associated phenomenon, and energy related issues. For all of us ape like creatures we are all prone to these things.

I am 64 and within two years of retirement and it is all I can think of these days. They don't give grades out there who is best student, best looking, or most likely to succeed. This sailing business is a highly personal arena. Guys and gals buy a Daschew aluminum 64 footer for millions of dollars because they don't want to deal with sail related things. Guys and gals buy 3000 dollar day sailors and never make it out of the harbor....ever. Who cares? No one cares...it is my point exactly. It is what you want to do and how you go about it that is important to you.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 12:30   #59

ooppss...I hit the wrong button before I finished my dialogue.

No one gets off this planet alive. Take what remaining time you have left on this blue orb and enjoy it the way you want to enjoy it. Guys like to play in the daily 4some until they die. I can't tell you how many of these guys I have had to work on in the hospital over my career. One guy I remember forever. He was so pissed off because his 4 some always revived him after he would go into a-fib. "just let me die on the green"....but even after 4 heart attacks they would not let him go peacefully...one pissed off ombre..It was hilarious in it's own way.

You have worked your whole life to get to this point. You spent your youth, your strength, your time to accrue some level of financial stability.
You can be a harbor sailor, a coastal sailor, a liveaboard, a cruiser, a racer, and/or any combination you can concoct...

Stop thinking about it. Just do it. Just do it. You will feel the life surge into your life again. You will breathe fresh air into your cob web lined lungs and the corporate hubris melt away with the simple decision to just go out and enjoy life in which ever way you decide to go. One of my favorite quotes....
Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!

Old 26-06-2015, 12:52   #60

Another thought about this.

"what a man's mind can create...he can control it." Unknown author.

There is something to that, don't you think? Your mind is musing with the idea of sailing. So, in your mind you feel the hunger to do something you have pondered over for many years. We are all imprinted through out our lives with pictures of Tahiti, Bora Bora, sailing movies like White Squall, Mutiny on the Bounty, and Wind. I have boxes full of sailing books.

Your mind will allow you to craft your dream to where you will go and how you will do it. Trust in your self. You have earned the right to do it. You need no one's permission or advice. Listen to what the musings of your own soul are telling you. It knows what you need. It is telling you the time in "now" correct to "allow" yourself this sweet thing to come.

Usually it is the Sigmund Freud's "ID" that brings us down to reality. The "ID" is the subconscious mind that we have no control over. Many of our dreams are driven strongly by the subconscious "ID"....in your case you may be having these strong desires to go sailing. But your conscious mind is fighting it with logic based concepts...it is dangerous you idiot...you are too old and too dumb...you don't have the money for such a thing. But the "ID" is also deeply based in pleasure. I am not a psychologist. But I am deeply interested in how the mind works. So, in your situation I think the conscious mind is interfering with the "ID" based needs. Usually it is the "ID" that interferes with the rational mind. Have you ever been in a relationship where everything seems to be fine...and yet you are having misgivings about her for no apparent reason? That is "ID' sabotage.

Don't allow your logical mind to sabotage your deep needs. That is my whole point...

Tags
cruising