Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2020, 04:59   #1

Arrow ArgoNav... the "new" ActiveCaptain... anyone input? It was only a matter of time...

https://www.argonav.io/argo-boating-app-features/

Appears to have more features... interesting.
Old 30-05-2020, 12:25   #2

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: ArgoNav... the "new" ActiveCaptain... anyone input? It was only a matter of time.

Looks like no web-based interface. That's a non-starter for me.

ETA: I'm disappointed with ActiveCaptain under Garmin. I still use it, but I'm using Waterway Guide more and more.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 15:36   #3

Re: ArgoNav... the "new" ActiveCaptain... anyone input? It was only a matter of time.

I agree... exactly the same situation.
Old 31-05-2020, 18:16   #4

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

AC data is rapidly going out of date. I've used it on a couple of deliveries this spring and was very disappointed. Garmin has done nothing to motivate people to want to contribute their own time and effort.

Zulu Waterways is making a push to expand to the US, and pre-loaded a lot of US points of interest for folks to review. More points need to be added (by users) and it remains to be seen whether enough US cruisers will start to do so. The good news is they upgraded to a totally open-source model so there's no chance of a corporate take-over like what happened to AC.

WG is a viable option when a good internet connection is available, but their app needs some work. The Navionics app also seems to be of limited use without a good internet connection.

None of these really give me what I want. Given an area along my route, show me the marinas, anchorages, fuel stops or whatever. WITH prices. Probably the on-line WG is the closest fit, but who wants to cruise where there's always a fast network?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 20:32   #5

Tom: AquaMap has both ActiveCaptain and WaterwayGuide downloaded for off-grid use. I just update before leaving the dock.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Tom: AquaMap has both ActiveCaptain and WaterwayGuide downloaded for off-grid use. I just update before leaving the dock.
Is current fuel price on the WG data on AquaMap?
Old 01-06-2020, 05:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetePetePete View Post
Is current fuel price on the WG data on AquaMap?
Yes. You touch the icon for the marina on a chart (the icon has a small fuel pump if there is data), then (i), then 'Fuel.' I just checked a local marina and the data looks current.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:35   #8

Quote:
Yes, I've been trying to force myself to use AquaMap underway. I like the way they're trying to pull it all together. But it never seems to give me what I want and I end up running out of time to find what I'm looking for. Then I close it down and go back to one of the other chart apps. I'll keep trying though. I'm really struggling to get used to the UI.

That said, I'm not finding many accurate fuel, slip or mooring prices at either WG or AC. So having both on AquaMap is good, but still of limited use.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:25   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
That said, I'm not finding many accurate fuel, slip or mooring prices at either WG or AC. So having both on AquaMap is good, but still of limited use.
WG has a staffer who calls to update prices. Some fuel docks refuse to share prices (which isn't a good business practice IMO, but it's their business).
Old 02-06-2020, 08:44   #10

Quote:
WG has a staffer who calls to update prices. Some fuel docks refuse to share prices (which isn't a good business practice IMO, but it's their business).
And AC (or any crowd-sourced app) is limited by the small pool of boaters, and even smaller sub-group who actually take the time to post the price. Apps like GasBuddy can be successful because there are so many drivers on the road buying fuel that even a small percentage posting prices is enough.

It irritates me no end to see a slip, mooring or fuel price from 2014, then see recent reviews talking about the wheels on the dock carts or something. If you're going to take the time to post any kind of review or update, including current prices should be your top priority.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
And AC (or any crowd-sourced app) is limited by the small pool of boaters, and even smaller sub-group who actually take the time to post the price.
Agreed. Jeff Siegel has a strong personality and could be quite difficult (particularly if he disagreed with you) but by golly he motivated people to post. We can speculate on why--hats, active cruiser, regular newsletters,...--but there cannot be any argument that it worked. The gild however is off the lily. It's clear that Garmin has not maintained the enthusiasm that Jeff and Karen did. It will be interesting to see if they maintain enough participation to be sustainable.

Digressing, while Jeff was the face of ActiveCaptain Karen was a very real partner in its success. It's amazing what just two people could accomplish while Garmin has stumbled when handed (well sold) an ongoing operation.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:32   #12

Quote:
Agreed. Jeff Siegel has a strong personality and could be quite difficult (particularly if he disagreed with you) but by golly he motivated people to post. We can speculate on why--hats, active cruiser, regular newsletters,...--but there cannot be any argument that it worked. The gild however is off the lily. It's clear that Garmin has not maintained the enthusiasm that Jeff and Karen did. It will be interesting to see if they maintain enough participation to be sustainable.

Digressing, while Jeff was the face of ActiveCaptain Karen was a very real partner in its success. It's amazing what just two people could accomplish while Garmin has stumbled when handed (well sold) an ongoing operation.

I'm happy that this turned toward Jeff because it spells out what went wrong.

For me, I was active on AC... until I realized the type of person that Jeff was. I found him to be a, well, frankly, a sleazy egomaniac. Not the kind of person I wanted to be involved with. And that is what made me stop adding to AC. The funny part?? I LOVE AC! I think it's a GREAT platform and has lots of great benefits. But I couldn't see beyond my disdain for Jeff.

With that said, now that Jeff is out of the loop, I am adding more to AC. Mostly because I don't want to see it die. IMHO Garmin needs to step up and get more people, like me, who want to see it survive.

The very difficult variable is that I tend to think that cruisers have figured out (and I think Jeff figured it out too!!!) that by posting spots, they become the opposite of what they were... it's like telling people your favorite fishing hole. LOL. You don't do it. I think Jeff saw that this was things were heading, and took the money. In the big picture, sharing a great anchorage with other people sounds like a nice thing to do (it is)... but when 100 other people are there, it's not a nice spot. So what you end up with is a map (AC) with marina information... since you can't "hide" those.

The way to buttress all of this is that you need A LOT of people to adopt the platform that even if 90% of people won't share the good spots, the 10% that will are valuable. Jeff alienated A LOT (almost all) of those people. And that's a shame.
Old 03-06-2020, 15:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetePetePete View Post
until I realized the type of person that Jeff was. I found him to be a, well, frankly, a sleazy egomaniac.
Jeff and I were friends until we had a falling out when I didn't do something he thought I should. The word he used was "must." I don't take exception to calling Jeff an egomaniac although I think egotist is more accurate. I don't think Jeff would object either. He is a pretty self-aware guy. I do object to calling him sleazy. I think that is unfair and inaccurate.

Jeff and Karen came up with a business model where someone else carried the freight for their customers. There was never any question in their minds that their customer was the cruiser/boater. I know they turned away marinas and other business who wanted "first" status because they didn't rate. Perhaps that is where Garmin has lost their way.
Old 03-06-2020, 15:44   #14

Quote:
Jeff and I were friends until we had a falling out when I didn't do something he thought I should. The word he used was "must." I don't take exception to calling Jeff an egomaniac although I think egotist is more accurate. I don't think Jeff would object either. He is a pretty self-aware guy. I do object to calling him sleazy. I think that is unfair and inaccurate.

Jeff and Karen came up with a business model where someone else carried the freight for their customers. There was never any question in their minds that their customer was the cruiser/boater. I know they turned away marinas and other business who wanted "first" status because they didn't rate. Perhaps that is where Garmin has lost their way.
I can't tell you how many people have contacted over the past few years to tell me all about how they had a "falling out" with Jeff... the guy had a plan, and a good business... that's great, and that's the way it should be in the USA. But there is just nothing good to say about him.

My only regret is that I wanted to see Garmin make it into something bigger -- and MORE valuable, frankly, just to spite Jeff... because I know the only thing that would have gotten to him was if he realized that he left a lot of money on the table. Unfortunately, Garmin hasn't run with it like they could have. There is SO much opportunity to make it into something more... but it doesn't seem to be at the top of the list.

Maybe one day I'll gather up some time and organize something to present to Garmin -- I stand by the fact that I love the app, I just couldn't (and can't) stand Jeff.
Old 03-06-2020, 16:32   #15

Boat: EDELCAT33

I downloaded the app but it looks weird as there is no chart
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain