Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 05:22   #31
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Are you put off sailing in the EU?

It had been a dream of mine since I vacationed on Naxos when I was 18 to cruise the Med on a sailboat and last year it finally happened. I've spent my whole life on the Great Lakes and spend many weeks sailing the Caribbean.

There simply isn't any comparison between the US, Caribbean, and the EU for cruising, IMO. It is hands down better, in pretty much every aspect. The beauty and history make everyday special and it is so vast, I don't think in a lifetime you could exhaust making new discoveries everyday. Fresh food and good restaurants are abundant.

To the OP, the main reason more sailors don't cruise the EU in my opinion is the distance and commitment it takes to do so, and we are just not that adventurous. When Americans visit the EU they go to Rome, London, Paris, Madrid - that is as far as their imaginations go. Some will venture further afield but usually they are constrained by the amount of vacation time they have available.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:09   #32
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
and history
One thing we are not short of in Europe is history . We pretty much invented it . and a lot of it involves killing each other for various reasons - many of which long forgetten.........but not all .

One of things I noticed that slowly dawned on me when first spending extended time in the new world (the former colonies ) was the absence of any "proper" history!,

Not the important stuff (like the Acropolis or the Louvre) but the day to day things that simply surround us and which get overlooked as ordinary (like the local castles, everyday buildings that date back to past no one knows - or cares! and even neolithic burial grounds....and the local social history of revolutions and uprisings (failed and not), wars and feuds that date back over many centuries and more)....and even stuff like the fact that England and France have been at war in total for longer than the US has even existed and regional grudge matches that have existed for even longer!, some now morphed into simple rivalries, others not! - and some still too early to tell which way they will go, after a millenia or 2 already)............and surprisingly found I missed the sense of "place" all that just gives without any active thought - may well explain why many of the Colonials cling on to their ancestors origins to define themselves.

Whether a history buff or not - Europe definately worth an extended visit, and not just for the "sights" but just sitting there and mulling over the centuries gone past - wherever "there" is likely has some history involving angry f#ckers having come over the hill - or headed off over . and a squillion other small stories dating back to the mists of time and beyond........after all, Europe invented Western Civilisation - albeit could argue we stole the basic idea from foreigners as we did for much else .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:51   #33
CLOD

Boat: none

So ......................... I'm not feeling better about cruising the Med! So far the main lessons I believe I've learned is "don't worry about it" and that goes along with "they let the non-EU boats to not follow the law".

It sounds like the point is one just takes their chances. Which then flies in the face f the stories where that didn't work out well.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:51   #34
Marine Service Provider

A boat is movable, MOVE IT!!
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:13   #35
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Are you put off sailing in the EU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
So ......................... I'm not feeling better about cruising the Med! So far the main lessons I believe I've learned is "don't worry about it" and that goes along with "they let the non-EU boats to not follow the law".

It sounds like the point is one just takes their chances. Which then flies in the face f the stories where that didn't work out well.
Don.... foreign Cruisers are more than welcome...
Its the goddam foreign squatters that p*$$ everyone off...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:30   #36

Boat: Finnsailer 38

What are the current favorite places to take your boat to after your 18 months are up? How long do you have to keep it out of the EU in order to get another 18 months?
Old 07-04-2013, 09:48   #37
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Kettlewell,
There must be at least 100 threads related to this exact question so it really is irrelevant to this one.

Don, if your worried about cruising the Med now, I'd just plan on not doing it. In time, it will assuredly get more difficult not less. For me, it is fairly painless and for sure worth it.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:13   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:

a quick trip to "Disneyland" -paris will soon convince any american that anything is possable in europe
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:57   #39
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Kettlewell,
There must be at least 100 threads related to this exact question so it really is irrelevant to this one.

Don, if your worried about cruising the Med now, I'd just plan on not doing it. In time, it will assuredly get more difficult not less. For me, it is fairly painless and for sure worth it.

Sme of us have read lots of these threads and still don't understand the answer so I don't believe it is irrelevant. But for ME the question doesn't matter much currently.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:43   #40

Boat: Westsail 32

No doubt the Med is the cradle of western civ...with history and culture which adds such a rich dimension to cruising. The US has extraordinary wilderness particularly from the San Juans and North, but Id also include the Sea of Cortes so its hard to make comparisons. To me the comparisons are somewhat trivial, maybe petty is a better word when it comes down to the opportunity to sail in both or either areas....So many more serious issues at the heart of cruising really, than complaining or comparing styles of officialdom...but I do certainly appreciate the different experiences and perceptions from everyone
DeepBlueSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 13:31   #41

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Kettlewell,

Been following this thread with great interest. If someone has a simple answer to Kettlewell's query that'd be awesome. I guess everything but a yes or no answer is a diversion to this topic, but now that the general rules have been dumbed down for us, it would be good to know how long you have to dip out of EU before you can reboot your 18 mos.

I backpacked around Europe as a teenager in 1991, Prague to Lofoten. Really looking forward to floating over there w the missus if I can afford it.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 13:53   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

Don, I'm not sure you've been absorbing the right lessons. Follow the rules! Then you won't have any problems at all. It's not hard!

Like a lot of situations in life, actually ...
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 14:17   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Follow the rules!
I would modify this suggestion ...

Learn the rules, follow them, and do not be a smart-aleck when dealing with the officials who enforce the rules.

Works for me (almost) every time ...
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 14:23   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
What are the current favorite places to take your boat to after your 18 months are up? How long do you have to keep it out of the EU in order to get another 18 months?
24 hours i belive,morrocco from gibraltar,22 miles
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 14:24   #45

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
I know many sailors from outside the EU would like to cruise the Med but are you put off by the rules and regulations and the length of time you can stay without having to leave the EU?

Should there be an exemption for cruising sailors?
Short answer: No. Cruisers are migrant tourists, not immigrants.

Here's a plan for your consideration (and knowing beforehand that it'll get slammed by somebody..... )

Cross the Atlantic (visits to Ireland & UK optional} then enter the Med.
Spend 3 months port-hopping eastwards.
Lay over 3 months in Croatia or Turkey.
. {Use this time to visit non-EU countries via rail/plane.}
Spend 3 months port-hopping westwards.
Head for the Caribbean. Visit.
Meander north towards Nova Scotia.
Repeat as desired.

To extend your time in the Med while waiting out the EU 90 days per 180 days:
{Similar rules for Canadian or US citizens.}

Turkey: U.S. citizens who enter Turkey with a tourist visa and who wish to stay in Turkey for tourism purposes for longer than 90 days are now able to get a residence permit for tourism for a maximum period of six months. This will allow U.S. citizens to stay in Turkey for tourism for up to a total of nine months. {Source: US State Dept.}

Croatia: You don't need a visa if you are a U.S. passport holder coming for tourist or business trips of less than 90 days within a six-month period. U.S. citizens already in Croatia who wish to remain in Croatia for more than 90 days must obtain a temporary residence permit. Please note that the first temporary stay permit must be obtained from the Croatian Embassy or Consulate in the United States.
{Source: US State Dept.}

While Turkey has its attractions and we loved visiting there, we found Croatia to be (almost) as easy-going for tourists as any EU country. When we return to the Med at the end of this Pacific Ocean sourjorn, we'll base ourselves in Croatia.

Just this humble cruiser's opinion.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing