Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2013, 06:06   #301
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Are you put off sailing in the EU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
So the customs lady was right after all and not just being nasty for the heck of it... and we all thought the Channel Islands would reset the clock and thus were wrong.
That's forum experts for ya...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 06:28   #302

Boat: between boats
Re: Are you put off sailing in the EU?

Read some of this with interest (slow internet).

As a warning here in south france have seen 1 non eu boat impounded in the last week for unpaid VAT. Customs here seems quite active at the moment - coming into the marina and searching boats as well as boarding offshore lately. Locals say they have never seen anything like the activity....
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 06:30   #303

Boat: between boats

But to answer the OP YES i bllody well am by this damn wind!!@! 40 knots for next 5 days aaaarggghj
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 08:17   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
So the customs lady was right after all and not just being nasty for the heck of it... and we all thought the Channel Islands would reset the clock and thus were wrong.
Yes, it turns out she may be correct, but it doesn't take from the fact that she sent us a bill and impounded our boat before even asking for any proof that we were or were not out of the EU. According to the EC Commission, by going to the Channel Islands from the UK, we were out of the EU waters, therefore resetting the clock.

The strange part is the letter from the Jersey Port Authority stating that they are outside of the EU. Someone needs to let them know
cahlgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 08:33   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
The EC has a list here of definitions:
Customs glossary - European commission

And it appears that the "custom territory" appears to include:
"the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man."
So the Channel Islands indeed do not reset the VAT clock...
Thanks for the link! Gibraltar is not on that list, but I thought it didn't reset the clock.

I guess some of our confusion came from VAT vs Customs. We've been looking at the VAT regulations from the UK - specifically section 1.3 and 5.5:

HM Revenue & Customs
Old 22-05-2013, 12:24   #306

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Is there a ''sticky'' for cruising the med ?

I am sure if a lot more of us non E.U. members knew how to cruise this area for longer and staying within the rules and regs there may be a lot less scaremongering.

Or is it a simple case of sailing to a non E.U. country to ''reload yer visa?
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 12:31   #307
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Are you put off sailing in the EU?

Its the safe bet...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 15:06   #308
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
Is there a ''sticky'' for cruising the med ?

I am sure if a lot more of us non E.U. members knew how to cruise this area for longer and staying within the rules and regs there may be a lot less scaremongering.

Or is it a simple case of sailing to a non E.U. country to ''reload yer visa?
Yes but that list of countries is shrinking

Dave
Old 22-05-2013, 15:14   #309
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahlgren View Post

Thanks for the link! Gibraltar is not on that list, but I thought it didn't reset the clock.

I guess some of our confusion came from VAT vs Customs. We've been looking at the VAT regulations from the UK - specifically section 1.3 and 5.5:

HM Revenue & Customs
Actually I knew this even though I had a brain fart moment , the channels islands are NOT in the EU. bUT by agreement they participate in the free movement of goods , hence they are inside the customs union, even though they are outside the VAT Area , this is similar to the canaries ( who are in the EU , but not in the VAT area )

The UK advice is correct , but not relevant

While simply sailing outside the 12 mile zone , is sufficient as far as the Directive goes , the difficultly being how to prove it. Drawing a line on a chart is unlikely to be sufficient

Dave
Old 22-05-2013, 15:21   #310
Nearly an old salt

nOTE Gibraltar is outside the customs union therefore it qualifies as a destination to reset the vat clock.

However Spanish authorities have often refused to a accept Gib as such. nOTe that GIb is IN the EU, unlike the Isles Normandie !

Dave
Old 22-05-2013, 23:45   #311

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahlgren View Post
The strange part is the letter from the Jersey Port Authority stating that they are outside of the EU. Someone needs to let them know
They are out of the EU. They are inside the customs area. There are also places that are in the EU, but that are outside of the customs area. Some of them have quite interesting histories...

Looks like Helgoland might be an interesting place to plan a stopover if you're cruising in that area...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 07:26   #312

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

well let me put this one into the mix of things i have never had any problems in the eu sailing in the past am a uk resident 20 yrs aussie passport holder uk flagged Yacht, last Sunday i broke down with a head casket failure In Santorini I managed to get a safe anchorage for the night behind the Caldera So got on internet to find local yacht boat owners to if could help there answer was NO i must call port Authorities in the end Monday morning I radio them they arrange a tow to a Mooring bouy in thira below cable car they take all my Yacht papers and passport . they tell me i must get A Lloyds certified person to say once yacht is repaired to give they ok searched and asked around all Monday not one local mechanic would help or do the job so I strip down cylinder head and of course didn't have all the correct spanners found search hardware shops etc none to be found only metric sizes need Imperial spanners found an greek man with a garage ask him goes to a couple of old wooden boxs found the 4 spanners i needed he charged me 100 euros for them.
Contact Insurance company to see if they can help with the surveyor what a joke they are never again with them contact Lloyds in london they send me a list all based in athens but in the mean time i located a british guy based in Athens who can help me out and today I found out that Greek Port Authorities are going to start doing more Checks on all Yachts ie non Greek ones i whish every one the best of luck time to head home to Oz
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 07:50   #313

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
......last Sunday i broke down with a head casket failure In Santorini I managed to get a safe anchorage for the night behind the Caldera So got on internet to find local yacht boat owners to if could help there answer was NO i must call port Authorities in the end Monday morning I radio them they arrange a tow to a Mooring bouy in thira below cable car they take all my Yacht papers and passport . they tell me i must get A Lloyds certified person to say once yacht is repaired to give they ok searched and asked around all Monday not one local mechanic would help or do the job so I strip down cylinder head and of course didn't have all the correct spanners found search hardware shops etc none to be found only metric sizes need Imperial spanners found an greek man with a garage ask him goes to a couple of old wooden boxs found the 4 spanners i needed he charged me 100 euros for them.
Contact Insurance company to see if they can help with the surveyor what a joke they are never again with them contact Lloyds in london they send me a list all based in athens but in the mean time i located a british guy based in Athens who can help me out and today I found out that Greek Port Authorities are going to start doing more Checks on all Yachts ie non Greek ones i whish every one the best of luck time to head home to Oz
I have just sent you a PM, so check your inbox.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 06:20   #314

What news from cahlgren?

I'm guessing there are a couple of run ins with Portugal authorities to report by now, right?
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 08:39   #315

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
What news from cahlgren?

I'm guessing there are a couple of run ins with Portugal authorities to report by now, right?
There was a meeting last week where the Customs agents were rude, threatened the marina for helping us and then threatened to call the police when asked for their business cards. A lawyer was called (even though the agents said we didn't need one), formal paperwork was filled by the deadline and now we wait for a reply. It sounds like it is a multi layered 'process' though they won't tell us what the 'process' is - in fact they said it was illegal for us to ask about the process

We are hoping to get a positive reply in the next day or so, though the lawyer said that they will drag it out as long as they can. If they come back and still say we owe, then it goes to the next step in the process, though we don't know that that means.

Tags
sailing