Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Are you or have you been a dumpster diver at a marina or boatyard?
Yes, I have been or am an active dumpster diver 68 73.12%
No, and I would not partake in this crude approach 7 7.53%
No, but I am considering becoming one 18 19.35%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 14:48   #46
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Are you a secret dumpster diver?

Im getting a lot from this discussion. Certainly interesting the imagination and creativity on recovering old objects back to good use.

There must also be a book or manual or guide or something about dumpster diving for food - where best to hunt...what to look for and avoid...what to eat or not to eat...how to prepare your kill etc.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 15:08   #47

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Nope don't dumpster dive... Reason: To old to climb in and or even get out..
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 15:16   #48

A sextant. <*sigh*> Sign of the times, I guess.
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 15:29   #49
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Are you a secret dumpster diver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Im getting a lot from this discussion. Certainly interesting the imagination and creativity on recovering old objects back to good use.

There must also be a book or manual or guide or something about dumpster diving for food - where best to hunt...what to look for and avoid...what to eat or not to eat...how to prepare your kill etc.
There ya go SM.... you've got your 'Cash Cow'.... bitta mooching round...
chat to Hillbilly and a few others here... for a Micheal Moore style expose on Dumpster Dining...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 16:02   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Food was off the list in post #1. I've found wood for an onboard stove; line in excellent condition; yards of fiberglass mat and roving and some stainless steel strake. Everyone has some good material that they don't need and cruisers and liveaboards are not likely to store it! If nobody wants my "good stuff", I'll put it in the dumpster before I move it a couple thousand miles.
Old 02-06-2011, 16:27   #51
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Are you a secret dumpster diver?

Here in Europe we do things differently...
In the annual winter hole up in Med marinas on average 2 or 3 times through the winter lockers will be emptied and gear piled neatly on the quay behind the boats... W
We wander up and down eyeballing each others stuff, trading books and gear and sometimes cash exchanges hands...
even the locals come along to look, haggle and sometimes buy... we only throw out something when its truly dead...
We're just not a throw away society... yet
Hell I've still got stuff from 97... waiting for a trade or a boat it'll fit....lol

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 18:55   #52

Boat: Pearson, 28-1

Last month I did my first dumpster dive for two fully loaded craftsman toolboxes. They contained duplicate sets of metric and standard socket sets, drivers combination wrenches etc. etc. not to mention the wood working tools, chisels and other odds and ends which took someone years to collect and would have been expensive to buy one by one. A few days later I pulled out a stack of sandpaper and emory cloth of a variety of types and grits all in new condition. A few days after that I pulled out a worn but good palm sander, a like new skill saw, some c clamps and other odds and ends. Then a week or so ago I pulled out a makita sander that is worn but still works great. That's all out of the dumpster,, don't get me started on the free shelf which has been a great source of supplies from stainless hardware, a dodger, teak etc. etc. My favorite part of these finds was that one of the toolboxes had around 17 dollars in change in it, mostly in quarters. I've been hitting the vending machines regularly since then.

I now check when I pass the dumpster and if I see a power cord I pull it to see what's at the other end..

Jonathan
JonathanSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 19:45   #53

Boat: Skookum 53'

I love finding treasures in the dumpsters, I also keep looking down while crossing the parking lot in the boat yard, I am amazed at the amount of stainless steel nuts, bolts and washers the get lost.
Old 02-06-2011, 20:23   #54

Boat: Pearson, 28-1

Ha ha,, I thought that was only me.. I have developed the habit of throwing the stainless fasteners into one area under my boat so that I can sort through them now and then. They are usually in good condition.
JonathanSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 20:29   #55

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Picked up bits of braid for mooring lines, pieces of teak and assorted fittings although I only grabbed what I saw on the surface, no diving.
I did find a 5 gallon pail filled with high end tools including electrical and electronic testers sitting right beside a dumpster one night. Packed it down to the boat and intended to go through it the next morning. Sitting in the coffee shop with a local the following day, I listened to him describe how bummed his brother was about losing his entire tool kit the night before... I said, 'guess what? I think I have it!' The brother was there in about 5 minutes and came down to the boat... boy, was he relieved... said it was worth a couple thousand $. I said how about buying me a beer?
Always felt good about that... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 21:18   #56

Boat: Skookum 53'

When stainless fasteners run 50 cents apiece or more depending on size, I keep looking down. Dumpster diving is like hunting for buried treasure only you don't need a map.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:16   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
A secret dumpster diver ? No way, I do it in broad daylight!

Greg
Absolutly!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:26   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
My dad used to say that some people have more money than brains.
Makes you wonder how they acquired the money!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:46   #59

Boat: in between boats

Met a guy in Mazatlan on an impeccably well maintained 42ft aluminum hulled boat designed by Sparkman and Stephens that he got free. All he had to do was refloat it. Rebuilt the entire interior in teak he salvaged from dumpsters in Sausalito near the boat yards. I found an entire stainless dodger fram that fit my Tartan perfectly. Had another make a beautifully fit dodger for under $200. I find it hard to pass certain dumpsters without giving a look see. Dumpster diving, hell yeah, in broad daylight. Not above giving up scale neighborhoods a slow cruise by in my pick up on trash pick up day. Classic schwin beach cruiser, picked up at 7a, cleaned, oiled, seat replaced, new tires and sold for $122. profit by 4p. Enough of my secrets though, no wonder so many work so hard.
larryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:58   #60

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Best score to date was a half full gallon of teak cleaner. I am still looking for the bin they throw the old teak timber in.

Admittedly, I have scored much better stuff after floods and roadside pickups. It is amazing what gets written off by insurance or just simply throw out. My best scores have been top quality leather chesterfield lounges and near new washers.