Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2014, 10:34   #1

Are these issues you would avoid on this boat?

This seems like a great buy on this boat. We have been on it and the interior is gorgeous and the outside needs some work. For the price it seems like a good buy, but I am not familiar with "black iron fuel tanks" and "box section Alaskan cedar mast". Are these things to avoid? Deal breakers in any of your opinions? There is very little info on the web regarding these boats. I think there were only 9 built but seems to be positive info. Or maybe the only info was from when the owners were trying to sell theirs? Here is the boat:

1978 Anastasia 32 Custom Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
bigjer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 10:49   #2

Boat: Swan 432
Re: Are these issues you would avoid on this boat?

Maybe it is just the angle but the boat looks like it is not balanced, the aft section is too low in the water. If the rigging has not been redone in the past 10 years you will want to have it done before you sail. Would be a good time to replace the mast. The iron tanks should be replaced, some boats are built with tank removal in mind and the cost would be low.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 10:56   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

The mast would be for me, but not for everyone.

Also i would ask when the old engine was replaced, or if this engine has been overhauled and 'zero houred'.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 10:58   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Wooden mast means more maintenance. 'Black Iron' tanks are just sheet steel painted black. Fine if they haven't been sitting in saltwater that may have leaked in. Would prefer stainless or aluminum but they also can have corrosion problems. With any boat's fuel or water tank, think how you are going to get them out to replace or repair. Some boats require a major dismantling of the interior and/or removing the engine to get at the tanks. All tanks will eventually leak, hope it's not in your tenure as owner.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 11:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Wooden mast means more maintenance. 'Black Iron' tanks are just sheet steel painted black. Fine if they haven't been sitting in saltwater that may have leaked in. Would prefer stainless or aluminum but they also can have corrosion problems. With any boat's fuel or water tank, think how you are going to get them out to replace or repair. Some boats require a major dismantling of the interior and/or removing the engine to get at the tanks. All tanks will eventually leak, hope it's not in your tenure as owner.
That is a great point and one I did not look at while on the boat. The inside wood work is beautiful, but the design was not thought out. For instance, to use the stove you have to pull it out on a slide. Which is fine, but by doing that you block all the drawers and cupboards. So you better have all you need out before you start cooking. Knowing this, makes me wonder if removal of tankage was thought out when finishing the inside. I need to go get another look.
Old 23-03-2014, 11:10   #6

[QUOTE=deluxe68;1499905]Maybe it is just the angle but the boat looks like it is not balanced, the aft section is too low in the water.

I thought the same thing. If this is the design, I was thinking it sure looks like a lot of windage potential trying to dock on a really windy day!
Old 23-03-2014, 11:13   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
The mast would be for me, but not for everyone.

Also i would ask when the old engine was replaced, or if this engine has been overhauled and 'zero houred'.
I will for sure. I did look at it and it was super clean. I need to research this Westerbeke. My last boat had an old 84 Westerbeke 10two and it ran great, but parts were a pain to come by.
Old 23-03-2014, 11:17   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

Not familiar with this boat. It sounds like it is a home-built, built from the hull up. Nothing wrong with that, but quality will depend on owner. Nice looking from the pics.

Black iron tanks are problematic, but can be fine. Not a show-stopper for me, but something to look at. Our current boat has two. We had them pressure-tested before purchase. Like all things, they will eventually have to be replaced.

Wood mast might give me pause. I don't see any problem with the lines. Steeply rising bow is a traditional design (look at our Rafiki). Great for getting over a rising sea.

I'd certainly give it a serious look if this style of boat appeals to you.
Old 23-03-2014, 11:22   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Not familiar with this boat. It sounds like it is a home-built, built from the hull up. Nothing wrong with that, but quality will depend on owner. Nice looking from the pics.

Black iron tanks are problematic, but can be fine. Not a show-stopper for me, but something to look at. Our current boat has two. We had them pressure-tested before purchase. Like all things, they will eventually have to be replaced.

Wood mast might give me pause. I don't see any problem with the lines. Steeply rising bow is a traditional design (look at our Rafiki). Great for getting over a rising sea.

I'd certainly give it a serious look if this style of boat appeals to you.
Wow, the Rafiki's are gorgeous and yes I love the traditional looks.
Old 23-03-2014, 11:26   #10

I will say we went and looked at her on a day (week) that was very heavy rain and it was as dry as a bone. My wife gives every candidate the sniff test on first step of companionway step and if she detects any unpleasant odor she will not go below. This boat passes with flying colors.
Old 23-03-2014, 11:36   #11

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

From the impression I get of your knowledge of boats, I'd suggest you avoid this boat. A cheap boat is not cheap if you don't know the in's & out's of a boat.

Find something modern you can afford and learn on as well. If you get too deep into something that's going to take all your time and money it'll be a burden rather then an adventure, and you'll end up abandoning it.

Wooden spars and hulls are for the enthusiast's that have the experience, time & $ to throw at them.
Old 23-03-2014, 11:56   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

My old Mariner had black iron tanks. They were good for at least 20 years and when I sold her they were still good.

I would not shy away from a wood mast and boom. If they do not show signs of rot anywhere from top to bottom then if they are maintained with painting and checking periodically then they can last a few generations with no problems. Check the top of the spreaders. The bottom is easy to see from the deck but the tops often are overlooked. It shouldn't cost much to have the mast pulled and have a rigger go through all the rigging at the same time. Because you have a wood mast to take care of you'll pay more attention to the rigging out of necessity than most aluminum mast owners do.

The boat interior is beautiful to my point of view. I like the slide out stove idea although it does cover the drawer fronts when out. Just a little more meal planning?

Appears like she would have the same interior space as a Westsail 32.

kind regards,
Old 23-03-2014, 12:03   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
From the impression I get of your knowledge of boats, I'd suggest you avoid this boat. A cheap boat is not cheap if you don't know the in's & out's of a boat.

Find something modern you can afford and learn on as well. If you get too deep into something that's going to take all your time and money it'll be a burden rather then an adventure, and you'll end up abandoning it.

Wooden spars and hulls are for the enthusiast's that have the experience, time & $ to throw at them.
I'd agree except this has a fiberglass hull.
Old 23-03-2014, 12:16   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

bj, I'm a card-carrying pessimist so take this in context.

"Custom- built ...over a ten year period. ... Hardly used since it went splash in 1991. "
Except they also say 1978, making it 13 years before it got wet.

I would suggest that even if nine kits were sold, this is still a home-built dream, or nightmare, and the resale value is essentially that of whatever scrap can be sold. If you plan to keep the boat for ten years, and you know the boat will suit you, and you know all the pros and cons of what it is, oh, wait, then you wouldn't be asking.

Since you are asking, I'd say RUN AWAY from oddball custom homebuilt boats, because if you want to bail out of it next year or in two years, you may find you can't get back ten cents on the dollar. And that's after waiting two years for a buyer.

Spend less, buy something professionally built in larger quantities, and if, like most folks, you decide your first boat isn't your dream boat, you'll be able to trade it in or sell it without taking a beating.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 12:33   #15

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I was just stating wooden hulls are for enthusiast, not that it was a wooden hull.

But looking at the pictures it does look like it was cared for, as far as a pictures can represent. If the teak up on deck is not cracked then that's a plus. That means no water extrusion. But I would check very closely where the deck meets the hull for open seams and check the deck for soft spots/flexing. The age would suggest that it had teak decking at one time and that could be a concern.

The rigging can be inspected by a pro rigger to see if there may be any rot (normally starts at the spreaders) and chain plates should be examined as well.