Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2014, 20:37   #61

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: Are these issues you would avoid on this boat?

Look at the comments at the bottom of the page for some leads.
Flicka Sailboat Blog - Bruce Bingham Anastasia for Sale

Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 20:37   #62
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Oops yes you are quite correct. My monkey blunder - to the load water line.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 20:38   #63

Boat: Tartan 40
Oops, I wrongly attributed the flotation part to Archmides. Otherwise, as above,

"When any boat displaces a weight of water equal to its own weight, it floats. This is often called the "principle of flotation": A floating object displaces a weight of fluid equal to its own weight. Every ship, submarine, and dirigible must be designed to displace a weight of fluid equal to its own weight. A 10,000-ton ship must be built wide enough to displace 10,000 tons of water before it sinks too deep in the water. The same is true for vessels in air (as air is a fluid): a dirigible that weighs 100 tons displaces at least 100 tons of air. If it displaces more, it rises; if it displaces less, it falls. If the dirigible displaces exactly its weight, it hovers at a constant altitude.
It is important to realize that, while they are related to it, the principle of floatation and the concept that a submerged object displaces a volume of fluid equal to its own volume are not Archimedes' principle. Archimedes' principle, as stated above, equates the buoyant force to the weight of the fluid displaced."
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 21:30   #64

Are these issues you would avoid on this boat?

Terra Nova, so if I read your last post correctly (pretty tired and eyes were crossed from all the math and physics in the other posts The boat they were talking about had input and design from Bingham himself on the completion of the project. And asking price for that was only $25K.
bigjer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 22:13   #65

That's what it was worth in 2010. I don't think the value has gone up.
Old 28-03-2014, 22:26   #66

Update: Went to boat today and inspected the mast. It appears to be in good shape. Sails are next to new. I paid attention to the motion of the boat as I walked around on her and I noticed a lot of movement. Then I searched the fuel tanks. At first I was surprised when I noticed both tanks had big inspection ports. But then I turned on flashlight and noticed the bottom sides were very rusted. The black paint was flaking off and just lots of rust. I didn't pick at it since I have no offer on her and wanted to be respectful. They sit under a number of floor joists or braces. Looks like a lot of work and money to get them out and new ones in. Maybe cut them out and put smaller ones in. Who knows. Think I will keep looking.
Old 29-03-2014, 01:50   #67

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjer40 View Post
Update: Went to boat today and inspected the mast. It appears to be in good shape. Sails are next to new. I paid attention to the motion of the boat as I walked around on her and I noticed a lot of movement. Then I searched the fuel tanks. At first I was surprised when I noticed both tanks had big inspection ports. But then I turned on flashlight and noticed the bottom sides were very rusted. The black paint was flaking off and just lots of rust. I didn't pick at it since I have no offer on her and wanted to be respectful. They sit under a number of floor joists or braces. Looks like a lot of work and money to get them out and new ones in. Maybe cut them out and put smaller ones in. Who knows. Think I will keep looking.
Good move, big Jer.

If you want to sail the San Juans, and might need to sail overnight, you will need a galley that works at sea, if only for cuppas. If you want to anchor after you arrive, you'll want to have an anchoring setup that works. Most Westsail 32s are made with a galley useable at sea, and anchoring setup that will work when you go to anachor.

Keep looking.

All the best to you and your good lady.

Ann
Old 29-03-2014, 08:40   #68

I am pretty set on a Westsail 32 at this point. I figure the longer I have to wait for a good one to come along, the more money I can save. Thanks for your interest and advice Ann. Thanks to everyone.
Old 29-03-2014, 08:47   #69

Quote:
...I searched the fuel tanks...and noticed the bottom sides were very rusted. The black paint was flaking off and just lots of rust...
Think I will keep looking.
Steel rusts. I would not be overly concerned regarding flaking paint on a tank--hardly even a cosmetic issue. If there is no sign of leaking, the tank is doing its job.
Old 29-03-2014, 16:55   #70

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
I am pretty set on a Westsail 32 at this point. I figure the longer I have to wait for a good one to come along, the more money I can save. Thanks for your interest and advice Ann. Thanks to everyone.
Hi BigJer,

I have a friend in Cathlamet who is also looking for a Westsail 32 so I know you have competition.

Keep your eyes open and you'll find what you want. As I suggested before there might be desire to hunt around Seattle and outer areas where there are a lot more boats and many more for sale.

Good luck in your search.

kind regards,
Old 30-03-2014, 09:53   #71

One thing to keep in mind... I've had two friends with WS32's, get one with enough horsepower, most WS32's were home finished and have anything from 13hp to 50 hp in them. You need decent horsepower to punch thru chop going to weather.... or it can be real frustrating. Just a heads up! I dont think I'd want less than a true 25HP at reasonable rpm in a WS32, and preferably more.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 10:33   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Hi BigJer,

I have a friend in Cathlamet who is also looking for a Westsail 32 so I know you have competition.

Keep your eyes open and you'll find what you want. As I suggested before there might be desire to hunt around Seattle and outer areas where there are a lot more boats and many more for sale.

Good luck in your search.

kind regards,
Something tells me I have a lot of competition Maybe if your friend gets it before me he will need crew
Old 30-03-2014, 10:35   #73
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

I clarify my previous oops, displacement vs full volume. Displacement is dependent on quantified AVG load and a LWL or DWL. Full volume on total hull shape. Both can be calculated with Simpson's Rule:
Basic Buoyancy Calculation
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 11:44   #74

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Something tells me I have a lot of competition Maybe if your friend gets it before me he will need crew
If one pops up on my daily craigslist search I'll let you know. How far are you willing to travel to pick it up?

kind regards,
Old 30-03-2014, 11:47   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
If one pops up on my daily craigslist search I'll let you know. How far are you willing to travel to pick it up?

kind regards,
Would like to keep it to a 5-7 day sail back to Portland. So maybe San Fran to BC at the most??? Thanks