Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2016, 12:56   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Are Power Boaters Clueless

I have been out the past 8 days and just have to wonder if power boaters are clueless about wakes. I've been in No Wake zones, narrow channels, anchorages, and mooring fields and all the power boats do is blast through.

So wonder if they are clueless or just plain don't give a crap.

Some of the wakes I've had to deal with put me in a bad position for control and safety.
Old 24-09-2016, 13:05   #2

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

You are of course absolutely correct.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 13:07   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

I think some are clueless.. and the rest don't give a crap.
One can be sailing along nicely and a big ole Sunseeker or similar will come over the horizon looking as if it'll pass well away from you.. then all of a sudden they'll alter course to pass a couple of hundred metres.. I think they find our bouncing about amusing.
Little pleasures for little minds..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 13:23   #4

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Happens all the time up here on Lake Ontario! I was out a couple weekends ago in very light winds just floating about ( sails up) and a big 40-50ft searay came flying down on me and waked me. there was no good reason for it. miles of nothing around me. but we got waked non the less! jerks!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 13:24   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
So wonder if they are clueless or just plain don't give a crap.

Some of the wakes I've had to deal with put me in a bad position for control and safety.

Yes, some are clueless. And some don't much care. As with some automobile drivers, some musicians, some doctors, some sailors...

And some might be thinking they're trying to do you a favor, if they put out a lower wake when fully on plane compared to slow "plow" speeds. (Sometimes that works, more often, not so much... except for real go-fast boats.)

I've been forced into emergency maneuvers when sailors have done -- what seemed like -- unnecessary stuff near us. Some of the time when under sail, more often with their engine running. IOW, it's not like powerboaters have a monopoly on inappropriate.

Just gotta boat defensively, try to read the other guy's mind... anticipate the worst, hope for the best...

Jerks are jerks. No excuse for that. But as with other endeavors, some groups get a bad rap due to the actions of a few. Think of all the (_______) who didn't nearly or actually cause an accident today.

-Chris
Old 24-09-2016, 13:24   #6

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30

I keep some 5/8" nuts on board for such occasions. It sound like a gun shot. Scares hell out of them.
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 13:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I think some are clueless.. and the rest don't give a crap.
One can be sailing along nicely and a big ole Sunseeker or similar will come over the horizon looking as if it'll pass well away from you.. then all of a sudden they'll alter course to pass a couple of hundred metres.. I think they find our bouncing about amusing.
Little pleasures for little minds..
Seen this too. We've even had powerboats go well out of their way to "wake" us.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 13:51   #8

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Clewless, not clueless

Although there are plenty of those, too. But no group has a monopoly; power, sail or paddle.

And Pcmm, that guy in the 40-50 foot SeaRay who goes out of his way to wake you at close quarters really gets around! I've seen him in every state and province in the Northeast. I've seen him in the fog, in heavy seas, in narrow channels and open ocean. He seems to pass me at least once every few days underway.

Believe me, it's not just sailors who hate that guy.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 14:02   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Yes most power boaters are clueless as are most sailboaters, you know the ones that jibe & tack up a narrow channel or those that tack in front of powerboats then yell that they had "right of way" when they the horn blast or just before they get run over by a freighter in the Delaware (I know of two of those). 95% of the people on the water fro kayakers, sailboaters, jet skiers or power boaters are absolute idiots. I just try and stay out of everybody's way.
Old 24-09-2016, 14:32   #10

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Yes most power boaters are clueless as are most sailboaters, you know the ones that jibe & tack up a narrow channel or those that tack in front of powerboats then yell that they had "right of way" when they the horn blast or just before they get run over by a freighter in the Delaware (I know of two of those). 95% of the people on the water fro kayakers, sailboaters, jet skiers or power boaters are absolute idiots. I just try and stay out of everybody's way.
Absolutely disagree!!

As far as bad manners, abysmal seamanship, and disregard for others, motor boaters are in a league of their own.

Clearly, there is a range of ability among sailors, but the speed at which the motor boaters travel makes for some horrible, frequently tragic results. Here in Florida, I see this demonstrated daily.

This is not to be critical of those who are responsible operators. They do exist, just in small numbers. But there is no parity on this issue for sailors and motor boaters. It ain't equal!

You are right about staying out of the way.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 15:04   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I accept the huge wake that large fast power boaters throw.

That is the nature of their choice of yacht.

At sea, sailboats should be prepared for it and not expect slow bells, because they do not have a similar wake.

Inside marinas or small channel, it is different.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 15:40   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

The wakes can rock power as well as sail at anchor....and the truth is after living aboard now for this long...if you can't get used to the wake rock without nutting up....you had better sale the boat, because it's just part of the Cruising Game.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 15:54   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

While no license, training, etc. are required for owning any boat for recreational use, high power boats (not trawlers, in general, more likely sport fishermen) have the potential for creating mayhem that the rest of us don't. An inconsiderate trawler or sailboat just gets in the way, but hang four 300 HP outboards on a boat that really doesn't plane all that well, and you have a twenty foot wide four foot deep trench being laid in the ocean - or a narrow channel. Add to that the temptation to actually USE all that power, and oh, my.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 16:00   #14

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

More than once when I have the right of way, I've changed course with a power boat which is throwing a huge wake and on a collision course.
If they have already changed their course just to be a "lookie lou" and there's enough wind, I'll crack off from hard on the wind to a close reach or even a reach and drag race them. It's really fun to see how long it takes them to realize they can't out run me in the conditions. It would really be fun to be a fly on the wall and hear what the "Admiral" on that boat is saying to the jerk captain.

The longest drag race I remember easily lasted for over 2 miles and we were side by side in 20 knots apparent wind doing in the mid teen's thru the water. We were reefed and the power boat had a semi-displacement hull. By the time he gave up, he had changed course better than 90 degrees to try to go over our bow.

I went from annoyed to laughing my ass off and pointing at him just before he gave up.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 16:20   #15

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510

I find that, generally speaking, sailors are better boaters. There is some required degree of skill and an attention span slightly longer than that of a gnat. Any idiot with a few bucks can buy a power boat, turn the key and go thinking is just like a car. Throwing a wake is just being a jerk but the one thing that drives me absolutely crazy is interaction at a draw bridge.

I pass through a bridge every time I go out, and it never fails some asshat tries to go through when I'm already committed to going through. Then they finally realize it and speed up making a wake, which just makes everything worse. It's a tight fit to begin with, any sway and in going to hit the spans. I blast the horn and yell at them that they're going to get someone hurt and I get the middle finger like I'm the one in the wrong... 'cause you know, they needed the bridge open for the 23 foot center console.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIS7XjZjJJj/

Sent from my SM-N920V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1474759091808.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	131680  
CaptNemoO2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power boat